Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Win98se repair help required.

Win98se repair help required.

Gordy

Win98se repair help required.

I have a Czech student staying at my place who acidentaly turned off
the power to his Laptop (Toshiba Satellite 1620CDS) while it was
shutting down Win98se.

The laptop had no battery.

The Laptop now has no eraserhead mouse or external mouse and the
screen is stuck on 640x480x16.

He reported that the initial reboot after the accident, Win98se said
that some .INI files could not be found. There are about 6 extra files
in the root directory which appear to be saved files from scandisk.

Some programs are functioning but navigation by the keyboard is very
difficult.

To make matters worse he has no original disks with him to help repair
Win98se.

Even worse still (for me) Win98se is all presented in the Czech
language.
I haven't tried to see if Win98 can be switched temporarily to
English.

I have run scandisk and MS-Regclean.
Norton Utils Windoctor will not run.
MS Win Update online (English version) will not run.

Any ideas and help would be most appreciated.

Invisible

On 5 Oct 2004 16:58:09 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Gordy) wrote:

>To make matters worse he has no original disks with him to help repair
>Win98se.

There might be a directory on the HD with the installation cab files, generally
\windows\options\cabs.

GraB

On 5 Oct 2004 16:58:09 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) (Gordy) wrote:

>Win98se repair help required.
>
>I have a Czech student staying at my place who acidentaly turned off
>the power to his Laptop (Toshiba Satellite 1620CDS) while it was
>shutting down Win98se.
>
>The laptop had no battery.
>
>The Laptop now has no eraserhead mouse or external mouse and the
>screen is stuck on 640x480x16.
>
>He reported that the initial reboot after the accident, Win98se said
>that some .INI files could not be found. There are about 6 extra files
>in the root directory which appear to be saved files from scandisk.
>
>Some programs are functioning but navigation by the keyboard is very
>difficult.
>
>To make matters worse he has no original disks with him to help repair
>Win98se.
>
>Even worse still (for me) Win98se is all presented in the Czech
>language.
>I haven't tried to see if Win98 can be switched temporarily to
>English.
>
>I have run scandisk and MS-Regclean.
>Norton Utils Windoctor will not run.
>MS Win Update online (English version) will not run.
>
>Any ideas and help would be most appreciated.

System File Checker might work

Start / Run / sfc.exe

Patrick Dunford

In article <(E-Mail Removed) > in nz.comp
on 5 Oct 2004 16:58:09 -0700, Gordy <(E-Mail Removed)> says...
> Win98se repair help required.
>
> I have a Czech student staying at my place who acidentaly turned off
> the power to his Laptop (Toshiba Satellite 1620CDS) while it was
> shutting down Win98se.
>
> The laptop had no battery.
>
> The Laptop now has no eraserhead mouse or external mouse and the
> screen is stuck on 640x480x16.
>
> He reported that the initial reboot after the accident, Win98se said
> that some .INI files could not be found. There are about 6 extra files
> in the root directory which appear to be saved files from scandisk.
>
> Some programs are functioning but navigation by the keyboard is very
> difficult.
>
> To make matters worse he has no original disks with him to help repair
> Win98se.
>
> Even worse still (for me) Win98se is all presented in the Czech
> language.
> I haven't tried to see if Win98 can be switched temporarily to
> English.
>
> I have run scandisk and MS-Regclean.
> Norton Utils Windoctor will not run.
> MS Win Update online (English version) will not run.
>
> Any ideas and help would be most appreciated.

Reformat and reinstall. I have seen this once, hit reset while the disk
was being written resulting in corrupted directory structure on the disk.
Only one way of fixing it.

Rick Ward

got a spare usb slot? plug in an external mouse (or even a serial mouse if
you have a free port)...

"Gordy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Win98se repair help required.
>
> I have a Czech student staying at my place who acidentaly turned off
> the power to his Laptop (Toshiba Satellite 1620CDS) while it was
> shutting down Win98se.
>
> The laptop had no battery.
>
> The Laptop now has no eraserhead mouse or external mouse and the
> screen is stuck on 640x480x16.
>
> He reported that the initial reboot after the accident, Win98se said
> that some .INI files could not be found. There are about 6 extra files
> in the root directory which appear to be saved files from scandisk.
>
> Some programs are functioning but navigation by the keyboard is very
> difficult.
>
> To make matters worse he has no original disks with him to help repair
> Win98se.
>
> Even worse still (for me) Win98se is all presented in the Czech
> language.
> I haven't tried to see if Win98 can be switched temporarily to
> English.
>
> I have run scandisk and MS-Regclean.
> Norton Utils Windoctor will not run.
> MS Win Update online (English version) will not run.
>
> Any ideas and help would be most appreciated.

Gordy

Thanks Invisble,

The shutdown crash seems to have been the tip of the iceberg.

All is recovered now using setup from \windows\options\cabs\

Before that I removed a trojan and 31 spyware items.
Then updated his anti virus and spyware detector.
Then un-installed the mouse and video drivers and let Windows re-install these.
Then I updated his Windows.
Hope to backup his system to CDs this weekend.
Time spent so far is about 12 hours