Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Ten products we wish Microsoft would deliver... (not for the humour impaired)

Ten products we wish Microsoft would deliver... (not for the humour impaired)

Max Burke

From executive-distracting ROI calculators to a naked Windows, here's our
dream to-do list for Microsoft's developers. (Be sure to post yours at the
end of this article!)
http://www.mcpmag.com/columns/articl...itorialsID=807

Found Images

Enkidu

On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 20:44:37 +1300, "Max Burke" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>From executive-distracting ROI calculators to a naked Windows, here's our
>dream to-do list for Microsoft's developers. (Be sure to post yours at the
>end of this article!)
>http://www.mcpmag.com/columns/articl...itorialsID=807

Hmmm.

Roger Clifford, a network admin in Alaska, says Microsoft could create
an OS "that boots in 10 seconds and never slows down or freezes" if
not for "useless features that slow down the OS, crash the machine and
create unnecessary security holes." Contributing Writer and Network
Manager Laura E. Hunter (see p. 43) wants a server OS stripped of its
GUI, browser and "all the other pretty things" that belong only on
clients. Redmond Executive Editor of Reviews Lafe Low says you should
be able to start with the basics and build by adding modules "that all
work and integrate seamlessly, with zero hassles."

Sounds a bit like Linux, doesn't it?

Cheers,

Cliff

Chris Hope

Max Burke wrote:

> From executive-distracting ROI calculators to a naked Windows, here's our
> dream to-do list for Microsoft's developers. (Be sure to post yours at the
> end of this article!)
> http://www.mcpmag.com/columns/articl...itorialsID=807

"4. Outlook for Idiots
Ever send an e-mail pointing to insightful ponderings in an attached
document-only to forget to attach the document? I've done it 642 times as
of noon today. Wouldn't it be nice if Outlook scanned outgoing messages for
a predefined keyword-something crazy like "attach"-and slapped you upside
the head when the word cropped up in a message with no attachment? Yes, it
would."

KMail does this. It's really useful and would be good if all email clients
did it.

MarkH

Chris Hope <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
newsht8d.10015$(E-Mail Removed):

> Max Burke wrote:
>
>> From executive-distracting ROI calculators to a naked Windows, here's
>> our dream to-do list for Microsoft's developers. (Be sure to post
>> yours at the end of this article!)
>> http://www.mcpmag.com/columns/articl...itorialsID=807
>>

> "4. Outlook for Idiots
> Ever send an e-mail pointing to insightful ponderings in an attached
> document-only to forget to attach the document? I've done it 642 times
> as of noon today. Wouldn't it be nice if Outlook scanned outgoing
> messages for a predefined keyword-something crazy like "attach"-and
> slapped you upside the head when the word cropped up in a message with
> no attachment? Yes, it would."
>
> KMail does this. It's really useful and would be good if all email
> clients did it.

No, it wouldn't be at all useful. I wouldn't get to call people idiots for
sending the e-mail without the attachment.

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
understand binary and those that don't"

Alden Bates

Chris Hope <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"4. Outlook for Idiots
>Ever send an e-mail pointing to insightful ponderings in an attached
>document-only to forget to attach the document? I've done it 642 times as
>of noon today. Wouldn't it be nice if Outlook scanned outgoing messages for
>a predefined keyword-something crazy like "attach"-and slapped you upside
>the head when the word cropped up in a message with no attachment? Yes, it
>would."
>
>KMail does this. It's really useful and would be good if all email clients
>did it.

Pegasus mail deos that too.

Oddly enough, it always seems to go off when I *don't* need it, yet
when I do forget...

Alden
--
http://www.tetrap.com

Bob McLellan

Sounds a bit like OS/2.

Enkidu wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 20:44:37 +1300, "Max Burke" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>From executive-distracting ROI calculators to a naked Windows, here's our

>>dream to-do list for Microsoft's developers. (Be sure to post yours at the
>>end of this article!)
>>http://www.mcpmag.com/columns/articl...itorialsID=807

> Hmmm.
>
> ================================================== ====
> Roger Clifford, a network admin in Alaska, says Microsoft could create
> an OS "that boots in 10 seconds and never slows down or freezes" if
> not for "useless features that slow down the OS, crash the machine and
> create unnecessary security holes." Contributing Writer and Network
> Manager Laura E. Hunter (see p. 43) wants a server OS stripped of its
> GUI, browser and "all the other pretty things" that belong only on
> clients. Redmond Executive Editor of Reviews Lafe Low says you should
> be able to start with the basics and build by adding modules "that all
> work and integrate seamlessly, with zero hassles."
> ================================================== ====
>
> Sounds a bit like Linux, doesn't it?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Cliff

Waylon Kenning

It seems like Tue, 05 Oct 2004 21:49:37 +1300 was when Enkidu
<(E-Mail Removed)> said Blah blah blah...

>Sounds a bit like Linux, doesn't it?

Can I create my own law/maxim? See definition below.

Kenning's Maxim:

When any thread in nz.comp starts with discussion about a Microsoft
operating system feature or problem, the probability that someone
recommends installing Linux or Linux doesn't have that problem
approaches 1.

So what'd you think, need some tweaking?

BTW Cliff, did you receive my email?
--
Regards,
Waylon Kenning.

1st Year B.I.T. WelTec

theseus

"Waylon Kenning" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> It seems like Tue, 05 Oct 2004 21:49:37 +1300 was when Enkidu
> <(E-Mail Removed)> said Blah blah blah...
>
>>Sounds a bit like Linux, doesn't it?

> Can I create my own law/maxim? See definition below.
>
> Kenning's Maxim:
>
> When any thread in nz.comp starts with discussion about a Microsoft
> operating system feature or problem, the probability that someone
> recommends installing Linux or Linux doesn't have that problem
> approaches 1.
>
> So what'd you think, need some tweaking?

I think you are hunour impaired

Waylon Kenning

It seems like Thu, 7 Oct 2004 08:54:22 +1300 was when "theseus"
<(E-Mail Removed)> said Blah blah blah...

>> So what'd you think, need some tweaking?

>I think you are hunour impaired

I think you got the wrong end of that post I made, nearly all I say is
in jest After all, it's all just a discussion in the end, it's not
like anyone's life is hanging off our every word.
--
Regards,
Waylon Kenning.

1st Year B.I.T. WelTec

theseus

"Waylon Kenning" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> It seems like Thu, 7 Oct 2004 08:54:22 +1300 was when "theseus"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> said Blah blah blah...
>
>>> So what'd you think, need some tweaking?

>>I think you are hunour impaired

> I think you got the wrong end of that post I made, nearly all I say is
> in jest After all, it's all just a discussion in the end, it's not
> like anyone's life is hanging off our every word.

So Cliff quoted

3. Windows Naked
It's time for Windows to strip down to its skivvies. Roger Clifford, a
network admin in Alaska, says Microsoft could create an OS "that boots in 10
seconds and never slows down or freezes" if not for "useless features that
slow down the OS, crash the machine and create unnecessary security holes."
Contributing Writer and Network Manager Laura E. Hunter (see p. 43) wants a
server OS stripped of its GUI, browser and "all the other pretty things"
that belong only on clients.

and mentioned that a base install with samba does that

So you had a heavy handed whine about posts that mention linux.
Perhaps you are doing a double act with Max Burke