Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > When should you have both onboard sound and soundcard enabled?

When should you have both onboard sound and soundcard enabled?

GraB

Friend (not overly technical) down sth has Pentium 800 machine, mobo
Jetway 994AN-L with VIA 82C694X chipset (KT133A). Onboard sound is
CMI 8738/PCI (CMedia). Wants to use DSE Model XH7847 soundcard that
happens to have the same chipset (though I would think it is more
fully implemented). Win XP.

Hadn't been able to get sound, but I figured out it was the way you
are supposed to install the driver, so we got it to work, but he said
onboard sound was enabled, though sound was coming from the card. I
said onboard sound should be disabled. Now he says:

"Tried to disable the mobo chip and couldn't get anything to work
when I booted up again. Have reenabled chips and drives, swopped
cards and drivers. I now get an error message "Cannot open
waveform output device!" The windows media program brings up all
the list of songs and the CD drives both start up and the program
indicates that everythingis playing and the speakers crackle and
thump when I switch them on. But nary a squeak of music. Am I gone
tone deaf???"

I guess it should work if he removed all sound devices in Device
Manager, disabled onboard sound, booted up and ran the installation
routine again. Shouldn't it? (Don't have XP myself).

theseus

"GraB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Friend (not overly technical) down sth has Pentium 800 machine, mobo
> Jetway 994AN-L with VIA 82C694X chipset (KT133A). Onboard sound is
> CMI 8738/PCI (CMedia). Wants to use DSE Model XH7847 soundcard that
> happens to have the same chipset (though I would think it is more
> fully implemented). Win XP.
>
> Hadn't been able to get sound, but I figured out it was the way you
> are supposed to install the driver, so we got it to work, but he said
> onboard sound was enabled, though sound was coming from the card. I
> said onboard sound should be disabled. Now he says:
>
> "Tried to disable the mobo chip and couldn't get anything to work
> when I booted up again. Have reenabled chips and drives, swopped
> cards and drivers. I now get an error message "Cannot open
> waveform output device!" The windows media program brings up all
> the list of songs and the CD drives both start up and the program
> indicates that everythingis playing and the speakers crackle and
> thump when I switch them on. But nary a squeak of music. Am I gone
> tone deaf???"
>
> I guess it should work if he removed all sound devices in Device
> Manager, disabled onboard sound, booted up and ran the installation
> routine again. Shouldn't it? (Don't have XP myself).

It might be under integrated peripherals or something like that in the bios
There's no need to disable it though if they are both installed
XP has no problem running 2 soundcards, you can set which one is the default
in the "sounds and audio devices properties" audio tab

richard

GraB wrote:

> I guess it should work if he removed all sound devices in Device
> Manager, disabled onboard sound, booted up and ran the installation
> routine again. Shouldn't it? (Don't have XP myself).

Shouldnt need to, windows handles multiple sound devices fine.

You will get one of them have a yellow ! on the device for the legacy driver as
only one can have it installed at a time.

For a while I had 3 sound devices in a PC, worked sweet as, onboard soundcard
had the headset plugged in for viop, one of the others I used to play stuff on
and the other was there to record audio from the TV tuner card. No worries at all

Onboard was the AC97 VIA chipset one, and one card was cmedia, and one was an
old PCI soundblaster.

I tried 2 cmedias, but there shocking program to set the number of speakers
wouldnt work on one of the cards, there was no options to set which wave device
it changed, and it defaulted to the active one, I wanted to change the second
card to have a line in rather then a rear output, and it wouldnt let me.

GraB

On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 09:18:40 +1300, "theseus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"GraB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> Friend (not overly technical) down sth has Pentium 800 machine, mobo
>> Jetway 994AN-L with VIA 82C694X chipset (KT133A). Onboard sound is
>> CMI 8738/PCI (CMedia). Wants to use DSE Model XH7847 soundcard that
>> happens to have the same chipset (though I would think it is more
>> fully implemented). Win XP.
>>
>> Hadn't been able to get sound, but I figured out it was the way you
>> are supposed to install the driver, so we got it to work, but he said
>> onboard sound was enabled, though sound was coming from the card. I
>> said onboard sound should be disabled. Now he says:
>>
>> "Tried to disable the mobo chip and couldn't get anything to work
>> when I booted up again. Have reenabled chips and drives, swopped
>> cards and drivers. I now get an error message "Cannot open
>> waveform output device!" The windows media program brings up all
>> the list of songs and the CD drives both start up and the program
>> indicates that everythingis playing and the speakers crackle and
>> thump when I switch them on. But nary a squeak of music. Am I gone
>> tone deaf???"
>>
>> I guess it should work if he removed all sound devices in Device
>> Manager, disabled onboard sound, booted up and ran the installation
>> routine again. Shouldn't it? (Don't have XP myself).

>It might be under integrated peripherals or something like that in the bios

It is done by jumper pin on this mobo. Waiting to hear how he got on.