Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Dual monitor

Dual monitor

Deck

hello,

I got a shuttle-pc, those small box like pc.
And most of the components are on-board
including the video.However I want to have
another monitor connected to it. How do I do that ?
Is it simply buying a separate video card for that
second monitor? Or should I just bypass the
on-board video and buy a dual-monitor video card?
What about the size? Will it fit in this box?

thanks

Collector-NZ

Deck said the following on 2/10/2004 12:31:
> hello,
>
> I got a shuttle-pc, those small box like pc.
> And most of the components are on-board
> including the video.However I want to have
> another monitor connected to it. How do I do that ?
> Is it simply buying a separate video card for that
> second monitor? Or should I just bypass the
> on-board video and buy a dual-monitor video card?
> What about the size? Will it fit in this box?
>
> thanks

Okay not sure about card size for your box but you can use a second card
in conjunction with your onboard video (OS will dictate how easy dual
monitor is XP is easy but others a bit more tricky)

By far the best and easyiest solution from my own experiance is a dual
out video card as it saves hassles about which is primary and secondary
monitor, different colour gamma from the cards etc.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Collector-NZ wrote:
> Okay not sure about card size for your box but you can use a second card
> in conjunction with your onboard video (OS will dictate how easy dual
> monitor is XP is easy but others a bit more tricky)

This is not necessarily true... I know that my onboard video turns
itself off when I insert either an AGP or PCI video card.

From memory the shuttles have plenty of space for an AGP video card, so
I'd just biff in a standard one... most have dual screens now, just ask
when you buy it.

> By far the best and easyiest solution from my own experiance is a dual
> out video card as it saves hassles about which is primary and secondary
> monitor, different colour gamma from the cards etc.

errr, yeah.
and thats a good reason to read posts from start to finish before
replying.

Collector-NZ

Dave - Dave.net.nz said the following on 2/10/2004 12:48:
> Collector-NZ wrote:
>
>> Okay not sure about card size for your box but you can use a second
>> card in conjunction with your onboard video (OS will dictate how easy
>> dual monitor is XP is easy but others a bit more tricky)

> This is not necessarily true... I know that my onboard video turns
> itself off when I insert either an AGP or PCI video card.
>
> From memory the shuttles have plenty of space for an AGP video card, so
> I'd just biff in a standard one... most have dual screens now, just ask
> when you buy it.
>
>> By far the best and easyiest solution from my own experiance is a dual
>> out video card as it saves hassles about which is primary and
>> secondary monitor, different colour gamma from the cards etc.

> errr, yeah.
> and thats a good reason to read posts from start to finish before
> replying.

No worry Dave, your not a target so to speak

Steve

Deck wrote:
> hello,
>
> I got a shuttle-pc, those small box like pc.
> And most of the components are on-board
> including the video.However I want to have
> another monitor connected to it. How do I do that ?
> Is it simply buying a separate video card for that
> second monitor? Or should I just bypass the
> on-board video and buy a dual-monitor video card?
> What about the size? Will it fit in this box?
>
> thanks

I use and amd based shuttle, which has no onboard video. However, a nice
GeForce FX5200 picked up for $75 on trademe works fine.

Cheers,

Steve

bAZZ

In article <cjl4hm$ah0$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)d says...
> Deck wrote:
> > hello,
> >
> > I got a shuttle-pc, those small box like pc.
> > And most of the components are on-board
> > including the video.However I want to have
> > another monitor connected to it. How do I do that ?
> > Is it simply buying a separate video card for that
> > second monitor? Or should I just bypass the
> > on-board video and buy a dual-monitor video card?
> > What about the size? Will it fit in this box?
> >
> > thanks
> >

> I use and amd based shuttle, which has no onboard video. However, a nice
> GeForce FX5200 picked up for $75 on trademe works fine.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Steve

Harvey Normans have fx5500 (i think) for $99 this week. They similar ?

bAZZ

richard

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

> Collector-NZ wrote:
>
>> Okay not sure about card size for your box but you can use a second
>> card in conjunction with your onboard video (OS will dictate how easy
>> dual monitor is XP is easy but others a bit more tricky)

> This is not necessarily true... I know that my onboard video turns
> itself off when I insert either an AGP or PCI video card.
>
> From memory the shuttles have plenty of space for an AGP video card, so
> I'd just biff in a standard one... most have dual screens now, just ask
> when you buy it.

No, they dont have plenty of room, the AGP is the rightmost slot looking from
the back, so you are limited to cards that only occupy one slot. Grunty ones
that use 2 slots wont fit. Also, there is a rail right above the slot meaning
that a taller then normal card will not fit into the board. I have huge problems
fitting my TV tuner into my shuttle because the card is about 1cm taller then
the backplane is. I actually have to remove the whole drive assembly to get it
in there.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

richard wrote:
>> From memory the shuttles have plenty of space for an AGP video card,
>> so I'd just biff in a standard one... most have dual screens now, just
>> ask when you buy it.

> No, they dont have plenty of room, the AGP is the rightmost slot looking
> from the back, so you are limited to cards that only occupy one slot.

two slots? **** have they gone back to doing that again... sorry, I tend
to ignore them as I dont see the need.

> Grunty ones that use 2 slots wont fit. Also, there is a rail right above
> the slot meaning that a taller then normal card will not fit into the
> board. I have huge problems fitting my TV tuner into my shuttle because
> the card is about 1cm taller then the backplane is. I actually have to
> remove the whole drive assembly to get it in there.

what a pita...
I guess if you feel like spending some more cash you could get a half
height board

Chris Mayhew

Collector-NZ wrote:
> Deck said the following on 2/10/2004 12:31:
>
>> hello,
>>
>> I got a shuttle-pc, those small box like pc.
>> And most of the components are on-board
>> including the video.However I want to have
>> another monitor connected to it. How do I do that ?
>> Is it simply buying a separate video card for that
>> second monitor? Or should I just bypass the
>> on-board video and buy a dual-monitor video card?
>> What about the size? Will it fit in this box?
>>
>> thanks
>>

> Okay not sure about card size for your box but you can use a second card
> in conjunction with your onboard video (OS will dictate how easy dual
> monitor is XP is easy but others a bit more tricky)
>
> By far the best and easyiest solution from my own experiance is a dual
> out video card as it saves hassles about which is primary and secondary
> monitor, different colour gamma from the cards etc.

I have a Matrox G400, Dual Head in a PC, purchased in 1999. Best bit
of hardware I think I have ever bought, no fans on the board, not a lot
of memory but was great for general (no gaming) use + 2D CAD. The new
version have more memory, power etc, but still no fans etc. , so are slim.

And I am posting this here as there are too many missing articles in
this thread

Deck

news:cjl4hm$ah0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Deck wrote:
> > hello,
> >
> > I got a shuttle-pc, those small box like pc.
> > And most of the components are on-board
> > including the video.However I want to have
> > another monitor connected to it. How do I do that ?
> > Is it simply buying a separate video card for that
> > second monitor? Or should I just bypass the
> > on-board video and buy a dual-monitor video card?
> > What about the size? Will it fit in this box?
> >
> > thanks
> >

> I use and amd based shuttle, which has no onboard video. However, a nice
> GeForce FX5200 picked up for $75 on trademe works fine.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Steve

is it a standard height video card? and you were able to fit
this inside the Shuttle-PC ?