Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > "Four out of five Linux PCs end up running Windows"

"Four out of five Linux PCs end up running Windows"

Tony

An interesting article? based on research from a well known research
group - a bit like 3 steps forward 2 steps back for Linux - if it has any
accuracy.
http://www.pcauthority.com.au/news.a...edate=20041001

"Although Linux backers boast of a growing market share on the desktop,
especially in booming regions like Eastern Europe, Latin America, and
Asia-Pacific, those numbers are hugely inflated, a research firm said
yesterday, because most of the PCs actually end up running Windows.

But those Windows are bogus copies, not the real deal, said Annette Jump, a
principal analyst with Gartner's UK office, who finds a direct connection
between piracy and Linux.

"About 80 percent of systems pre-loaded with Linux in 2004 will end up
running a pirated copy of Windows," she said."

Peter

"Tony" <tbra at hyper dot net dot nz> wrote:
> "About 80 percent of systems pre-loaded with Linux in 2004 will end up
> running a pirated copy of Windows," she said."

are you trying to say lots of the people who use Windows are actually
running stolen copies? That is, implying Windows users are the pirates?

Peter

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Tony wrote:
> An interesting article? based on research from a well known research
> group - a bit like 3 steps forward 2 steps back for Linux - if it has any
> accuracy.
> http://www.pcauthority.com.au/news.a...edate=20041001

> "About 80 percent of systems pre-loaded with Linux in 2004 will end up
> running a pirated copy of Windows," she said."

hahaha, I was going to post this myself on thursday but didn't feel like
getting the back lash.

good luck.

by the way, there were some interesting(but incorrect) links drawn up
from this research.
1, that selling linux based PC's increases piracy of Windows.

Someone quite rightly then came to the conclusion that if 1 were true,
then windows itself increases the likely hood the MS Office etc will be
pirated.

Funnily enough, I think that the second one is probably true, but the
first, not likely.

Tony

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> are you trying to say lots of the people who use Windows are actually
> running stolen copies? That is, implying Windows users are the pirates?
>
> Peter

I wasnt trying to say anything Peter, I found it an interesting article, I
dont see where you could have
got the idea I/it was saying Windows users are pirates from, even if you
read just the quoted excerpt
without reading the whole article it doesnt suggest that.
Tony

Patrick Dunford

In article <415dd016$(E-Mail Removed)> in nz.comp on Sat, 2 Oct
2004 09:45:57 +1200, <"Tony" <tbra at hyper dot net dot nz>> says...
> An interesting article? based on research from a well known research
> group - a bit like 3 steps forward 2 steps back for Linux - if it has any
> accuracy.
> http://www.pcauthority.com.au/news.a...edate=20041001
>
> "Although Linux backers boast of a growing market share on the desktop,
> especially in booming regions like Eastern Europe, Latin America, and
> Asia-Pacific, those numbers are hugely inflated, a research firm said
> yesterday, because most of the PCs actually end up running Windows.
>
> But those Windows are bogus copies, not the real deal, said Annette Jump, a
> principal analyst with Gartner's UK office, who finds a direct connection
> between piracy and Linux.

Sssh. Don't mention Gartner here - according to some people they are part
of the great MS conspiracy to take over the world and make Bill Gates the
president. LOL

Allistar

"Tony" <tbra at hyper dot net dot nz> wrote:

> An interesting article? based on research from a well known research
> group - a bit like 3 steps forward 2 steps back for Linux - if it has any
> accuracy.
> http://www.pcauthority.com.au/news.a...edate=20041001
>
> "Although Linux backers boast of a growing market share on the desktop,
> especially in booming regions like Eastern Europe, Latin America, and
> Asia-Pacific, those numbers are hugely inflated, a research firm said
> yesterday, because most of the PCs actually end up running Windows.
>
> But those Windows are bogus copies, not the real deal, said Annette Jump,
> a principal analyst with Gartner's UK office, who finds a direct
> connection between piracy and Linux.
>
> "About 80 percent of systems pre-loaded with Linux in 2004 will end up
> running a pirated copy of Windows," she said."

I would suggest there would be more PC's purchased with Windows that then
have Linux installed on them than vice-versa. I say this simply because it
is easier to get a PC with Windows pe-installed than it is to get one with
Linux pre-installed.

Allistar.

ChrisOD

Tony wrote:
> An interesting article? based on research from a well known research
> group - a bit like 3 steps forward 2 steps back for Linux - if it has any
> accuracy.
> http://www.pcauthority.com.au/news.a...edate=20041001
>
> "Although Linux backers boast of a growing market share on the desktop,
> especially in booming regions like Eastern Europe, Latin America, and
> Asia-Pacific, those numbers are hugely inflated, a research firm said
> yesterday, because most of the PCs actually end up running Windows.
>
> But those Windows are bogus copies, not the real deal, said Annette Jump, a
> principal analyst with Gartner's UK office, who finds a direct connection
> between piracy and Linux.
>
> "About 80 percent of systems pre-loaded with Linux in 2004 will end up
> running a pirated copy of Windows," she said."

Seems to me that what they are saying is 4/5 of PCs with Linux
Preinstalled end up running windows.

Now that is a totally different message than the actual subject line.
Maybe this is more of a religious utterance than actual information?!

In fact a less poor view of statistics could use this research to
suggest that at present linux would have a 20% share if it got more
exposure.

As I no noone who bought their PC with linux preinstalled and I know
heaps of people that bought it with Windows preinstalled, I suspect that
this is just bogus research and the statistics that they have tied
together to suggest that linux is more niche than other commentators
suggest.

Personally who cares? I use both linux and windows all the time. Even if
I didn't have to use the standard corporate tools I would probably still
use windows a lot. Some is for home gaming (especially for the kids) and
some software I like and use a lot is only available (at reasonable
standards) for windows. And also if I always have a linux box running on
the home network I am only a ssh session away from linux.

theseus

"Tony" <tbra at hyper dot net dot nz> wrote in message
news:415dd016$(E-Mail Removed)...
> An interesting article? based on research from a well known research
> group - a bit like 3 steps forward 2 steps back for Linux - if it has any
> accuracy.
> http://www.pcauthority.com.au/news.a...edate=20041001
>
> "Although Linux backers boast of a growing market share on the desktop,
> especially in booming regions like Eastern Europe, Latin America, and
> Asia-Pacific, those numbers are hugely inflated, a research firm said
> yesterday, because most of the PCs actually end up running Windows.
>
> But those Windows are bogus copies, not the real deal, said Annette Jump,
> a principal analyst with Gartner's UK office, who finds a direct
> connection between piracy and Linux.
>
> "About 80 percent of systems pre-loaded with Linux in 2004 will end up
> running a pirated copy of Windows," she said."

And a number of PCs with licensed copies of Windows will end up running
Linux

I expect vendors put linux or freedos or bsd on these OS charge free
whiteboxes to show that they run, its quite a good idea.
I see Dick Smiths had Knoppix running on the transmeta laptops they had.
Microsoft can protect their own product, they have done it before by
releasing service packs that invalidate pirated versions.
Some people buy a PC that has XP Home bundled and end up putting Pro on it,
some corporates buy PCs with XP installed and end up nuking that and putting
their volume licensing image on and Microsoft gets paid twice.
I don't see Gartner complaining about that.

Cheetah

Patrick Dunford wrote:

> Sssh. Don't mention Gartner here - according to some people they are part
> of the great MS conspiracy to take over the world and make Bill Gates the
> president. LOL

Why slander Gartner? I think they have been quite fair usually.

However they didn't seem to identify how many Windows machines have Linux
installed.

Besides, what is the argument? That selling Linux on computers shouldn't be
allowed in case the user installs Windows on it later? Perhaps we should'nt
sell Windows machines preinstalled to protect Linux

Peter

"Tony" <tbra at hyper dot net dot nz> wrote:
> a principal analyst with Gartner's UK office

Gartner - aren't they the folks funded by Microsoft?
eg ...
http://www.theregister.co.uk/1999/10...linuxknocking/

Peter