Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > ihug email file size limit?

ihug email file size limit?

horizontal

Does anyone know the file size limit on sending to an ihug pop3 email
account

Dave - Dave.net.nz

horizontal wrote:
> Does anyone know the file size limit on sending to an ihug pop3 email
> account

it seems to be ~10MB from memory.

--
Dave Hall
http://www.dave.net.nz

horizontal

"Dave - Dave.net.nz" <dave@no_spam_here_please_dave.net.nz> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> horizontal wrote:
> > Does anyone know the file size limit on sending to an ihug pop3 email
> > account

> it seems to be ~10MB from memory.
>
> --
> Dave Hall
> http://www.dave.net.nz
> http://www.karyn.net.nz

Thanks, when I called ihug broadband technical support they said there was
no limit but I knew for a fact that there was as a 14Mb file was rejected
because it exceeded the file limit, anyhow strangely they could not give me
an exact limit but like you they said that under 10Mb might be ok, I wanted
a black and white answer but after going away to ask on 2 5 minute occasions
they could not give it to me so the guy then suggested breaking the message
apart using the outlook express feature that allows this but he could not
say what the file size limit would then be on each broken part(packet?) of
the message and whether there would be a limit on the amount of messages
that could be received at once because if it has to be broken into kilobyte
sized packets my 1 message will appear as hundreds of messages and I wonder
if there would be some problem with that as it may look like a spam attack.
I am sending by dial-up so you can appreciate that I don't want the mail to
be rejected again.

Collector-NZ

horizontal said the following on 1/10/2004 12:19:
> "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <dave@no_spam_here_please_dave.net.nz> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>horizontal wrote:
>>
>>>Does anyone know the file size limit on sending to an ihug pop3 email
>>>account

>>it seems to be ~10MB from memory.
>>
>>--
>>Dave Hall
>>http://www.dave.net.nz
>>http://www.karyn.net.nz

> Thanks, when I called ihug broadband technical support they said there was
> no limit but I knew for a fact that there was as a 14Mb file was rejected
> because it exceeded the file limit, anyhow strangely they could not give me
> an exact limit but like you they said that under 10Mb might be ok, I wanted
> a black and white answer but after going away to ask on 2 5 minute occasions
> they could not give it to me so the guy then suggested breaking the message
> apart using the outlook express feature that allows this but he could not
> say what the file size limit would then be on each broken part(packet?) of
> the message and whether there would be a limit on the amount of messages
> that could be received at once because if it has to be broken into kilobyte
> sized packets my 1 message will appear as hundreds of messages and I wonder
> if there would be some problem with that as it may look like a spam attack.
> I am sending by dial-up so you can appreciate that I don't want the mail to
> be rejected again.

Is your eml 14Mb or the source file if its the source file Mime bloat
will make considerably bigger again

horizontal

"Collector-NZ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> horizontal said the following on 1/10/2004 12:19:
> > "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <dave@no_spam_here_please_dave.net.nz> wrote in

message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> >>it seems to be ~10MB from memory.
> >>
> >>--
> >>Dave Hall
> >>http://www.dave.net.nz
> >>http://www.karyn.net.nz

> > Thanks, when I called ihug broadband technical support they said there

was
> > no limit but I knew for a fact that there was as a 14Mb file was

rejected
> > because it exceeded the file limit, anyhow strangely they could not give

me
> > an exact limit but like you they said that under 10Mb might be ok, I

wanted
> > a black and white answer but after going away to ask on 2 5 minute

occasions
> > they could not give it to me so the guy then suggested breaking the

message
> > apart using the outlook express feature that allows this but he could

not
> > say what the file size limit would then be on each broken part(packet?)

of
> > the message and whether there would be a limit on the amount of messages
> > that could be received at once because if it has to be broken into

kilobyte
> > sized packets my 1 message will appear as hundreds of messages and I

wonder
> > if there would be some problem with that as it may look like a spam

attack.
> > I am sending by dial-up so you can appreciate that I don't want the mail

> > be rejected again.
> >

> Is your eml 14Mb or the source file if its the source file Mime bloat
> will make considerably bigger again

My email is made up of attachments of about 1.8Mb each and due to the nature
of this email it would be very inconvenient to break these attachments up
over multiple emails. I have never had this problem in the past and I have
sent files bigger than this, obviously file limits vary from isp to isp.

Patrick Dunford

horizontal wrote:

> Does anyone know the file size limit on sending to an ihug pop3 email
> account

Most ISPs do have a mailbox size limitation. You will not get 100MB or
200MB or anything like it as you do with Yahoo or the like.

Patrick Dunford

horizontal wrote:

> "Collector-NZ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>horizontal said the following on 1/10/2004 12:19:
>>
>>>"Dave - Dave.net.nz" <dave@no_spam_here_please_dave.net.nz> wrote in

> message
>
>>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>>Thanks, when I called ihug broadband technical support they said there

> was
>
>>>no limit but I knew for a fact that there was as a 14Mb file was

> rejected
>
>>>because it exceeded the file limit, anyhow strangely they could not give

> me
>
>>>an exact limit but like you they said that under 10Mb might be ok, I

> wanted
>
>>>a black and white answer but after going away to ask on 2 5 minute

> occasions
>
>>>they could not give it to me so the guy then suggested breaking the

> message
>
>>>apart using the outlook express feature that allows this but he could

> not
>
>>>say what the file size limit would then be on each broken part(packet?)

> of
>
>>>the message and whether there would be a limit on the amount of messages
>>>that could be received at once because if it has to be broken into

> kilobyte
>
>>>sized packets my 1 message will appear as hundreds of messages and I

> wonder
>
>>>if there would be some problem with that as it may look like a spam

> attack.
>
>>>I am sending by dial-up so you can appreciate that I don't want the mail

>>>be rejected again.
>>>

>>Is your eml 14Mb or the source file if its the source file Mime bloat
>>will make considerably bigger again

> My email is made up of attachments of about 1.8Mb each and due to the nature
> of this email it would be very inconvenient to break these attachments up
> over multiple emails. I have never had this problem in the past and I have
> sent files bigger than this, obviously file limits vary from isp to isp.

Email is not an ideal means of sending such large files, it would be a
better idea to look at another way of sending these files.

Collector-NZ

Patrick Dunford said the following on 1/10/2004 12:59:
> horizontal wrote:
>
>> "Collector-NZ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> message

>> was

>> rejected

>> me

>> wanted

>> occasions

>> message

>> not

>> of

>> kilobyte

>> wonder

>> attack.

>>> Is your eml 14Mb or the source file if its the source file Mime bloat
>>> will make considerably bigger again

>> My email is made up of attachments of about 1.8Mb each and due to the
>> nature
>> of this email it would be very inconvenient to break these attachments up
>> over multiple emails. I have never had this problem in the past and I
>> have
>> sent files bigger than this, obviously file limits vary from isp to isp.

> Email is not an ideal means of sending such large files, it would be a
> better idea to look at another way of sending these files.

Peer 2 Peer or is that Pirate to Pirate

horizontal

"Patrick Dunford" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:v_17d.6071$(E-Mail Removed)...
> horizontal wrote:
>
> > "Collector-NZ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> > message

> > was

> > rejected

give

> > me

> > wanted

> > occasions

> > message

> > not

> > of

messages

> > kilobyte

> > wonder

> > attack.

mail

> >>Is your eml 14Mb or the source file if its the source file Mime bloat
> >>will make considerably bigger again

> > My email is made up of attachments of about 1.8Mb each and due to the

nature
> > of this email it would be very inconvenient to break these attachments

up
> > over multiple emails. I have never had this problem in the past and I

have
> > sent files bigger than this, obviously file limits vary from isp to isp.

> Email is not an ideal means of sending such large files, it would be a
> better idea to look at another way of sending these files.

It is not possible to send any other way in this particular circumstance,
otherwise I would have, if I can't do it by email I will have to send it
physically on a cdr.

Ryan Jacobs

"horizontal" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:415cae00$(E-Mail Removed)...

> It is not possible to send any other way in this particular circumstance,
> otherwise I would have, if I can't do it by email I will have to send it
> physically on a cdr.

I'm not sure if its already been mentioned or not, but.....

Have you tried compressing the file? Winzip or WinRar (better compression)
are a couple of options. Of course the issue then becomes the receiver needs
to decompress the file - Winzip allows you to create a self-executing
compressed file. Of course then their AV will probably spit the dummy, lol.

HTHs