Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Help me please : WepKey Changer Programing (Windows)

Help me please : WepKey Changer Programing (Windows)

Truty

Hey,

I would like to create a small program for switch my WEP key each day.
(or each hour, minute, ... following my variable)

It is a personnal project, I think that it is a good idea, but I would
like more information about it because I don't know how I must to
process for that.

This program will be working on Windows, and I will be written in ...
(May be C, or C++, or Python, or Perl)
If it isn't possible with one of this languages, I will use an other,
but I prefer using a language that I know.
I don't know which language using, and I haven't got sources for
starting.

How do I do that ? Can I help me of Wireless Zero Config tool ? Or
watching registre key ?
Have you got any clues ?

If you are some link, I will be happy.

Thanks for yours answers

CU soon

Socrates

why invent the wheel when it has already been invented?

just select 'assign wep key automatically' and windows will do the job for you.

www.amw1.com/tips

"Truty" <my_email@no_spam.com> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hey,
>
> I would like to create a small program for switch my WEP key each day.
> (or each hour, minute, ... following my variable)
>
> It is a personnal project, I think that it is a good idea, but I would
> like more information about it because I don't know how I must to
> process for that.
>
> This program will be working on Windows, and I will be written in ...
> (May be C, or C++, or Python, or Perl)
> If it isn't possible with one of this languages, I will use an other,
> but I prefer using a language that I know.
> I don't know which language using, and I haven't got sources for
> starting.
>
> How do I do that ? Can I help me of Wireless Zero Config tool ? Or
> watching registre key ?
> Have you got any clues ?
>
> If you are some link, I will be happy.
>
> Thanks for yours answers
>
> CU soon

Lem

Socrates wrote:

> why invent the wheel when it has already been invented?
>
> just select 'assign wep key automatically' and windows will do the job for you.
>
> www.amw1.com/tips
>
> "Truty" <my_email@no_spam.com> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hey,
> >
> > I would like to create a small program for switch my WEP key each day.
> > (or each hour, minute, ... following my variable)
> >
> > It is a personnal project, I think that it is a good idea, but I would
> > like more information about it because I don't know how I must to
> > process for that.
> >
> > This program will be working on Windows, and I will be written in ...
> > (May be C, or C++, or Python, or Perl)
> > If it isn't possible with one of this languages, I will use an other,
> > but I prefer using a language that I know.
> > I don't know which language using, and I haven't got sources for
> > starting.
> >
> > How do I do that ? Can I help me of Wireless Zero Config tool ? Or
> > watching registre key ?
> > Have you got any clues ?
> >
> > If you are some link, I will be happy.
> >
> > Thanks for yours answers
> >
> > CU soon

Both the OP and Socrates miss the point.

"Assign WEP key automatically" will do so ONCE, when you set up your network. The OP wants to
programmaticaly change the WEP key every delta-T.

As for the OP, his or her reasoning probably stems from the many security-oriented articles that
suggest changing WEP keys often for better security. What the OP fails to appreciate, however,
is that EACH node on the wireless network -- i.e., all of the computers and the router, assuming
this is an infrastructure LAN -- must have the same WEP key. Thus, any such application would
have to run on each node and be synchronized across all nodes. And, unless the OP could hack
the firmware of whatever router is in use to include the WEP changing functionality on the
router, some script would have to be developed (to run on a computer wired -- not wirelessly
connected -- to the router) that would access the router's configuration pages and reset the
WEP.

All in all, it would be far more sensible to buy new hardware capable of WPA2 (or at least WPA)
and forget about WEP.