Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Electronics Recycling

Electronics Recycling

Patrick Dunford

Question that was posed in Aardvark this morning
http://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2004/0930.shtml

This page describes what is probably the nearest thing to recycling
computers or other electronic goods we have got.
http://www.molten.org.nz/pages/recycling.html
Molten Media Trust 190 Wordsworth St Christchurch

I think we have to ask also why the Christchurch City Council will not
collect more than 2 grades of plastic from the kerbside if there are
processes that can handle breakdowns of all grades of plastic. No doubt
this is the question that has taxed the opponents of the new landfill.

As far as broken down gear goes:
"Recycling Metals

Various types of metal are stripped from computers and their components
on a day-to-day basis before being sold to a scrap metal merchant. What
is stripped and what is done with it all?

* The parts from computer case frames are removed. They are sent to a
metal separation shredder.
* Covered copper wiring is run though a shredding process that
separates the PVC coating from the copper.
* Aluminium cases and disk platters are stripped from hard drives and
copper yokes from monitor's and TV's as well.
* Circuit boards are also sold on to a scrap metal merchant who
stores them locally ready for export.
* CPU's are separated from the circuit boards. These contain a higher
value metal and are sold to a metal merchant for export.
* Various motors are sold on to companies who separate the copper and
steel within."

"Recycling Plastics

Plastic is another major issue when it comes to computer recycling as
this material is used often in the creation of computer components and
accessories. We do the following with what we receive:

* Mixed grades of unidentified soft and hard plastic received are
stored before being recycled in a 'plastic to diesel plant'. The major
benefits to the environment of this process are that it can handle
unidentified and also dirty plastics both of which are a major problem
for waste plastic recycling.
* The above process is valuable as it can handle plastics with metal
screws still attached. This removes many time consuming elements from the
stripping process.
* Local plastics recyclers are also sent various plastic based
packaging used in computer products. These are first cleaned thoroughly
then shredded and crushed into bricks to de-gas it. These bricks are
melted and made into logs of solid plastic for export."

"Recycling Other Materials

We also recycle the various all the various documentation that normally
comes with a computer. i.e. Software and other manuals. However not
everything can be recycled at the present time.

The tubes from CRT (cathode ray tube) monitors are currently not able to
be recycled and present a large problem for us. CRT's contain two bad
chemicals. The front of the screen is made from Berium Glass and the back
of the tube is made from Lead Glass. Presently these cannot be recycled
in New Zealand. These are sent overseas for processing.

Other things not able to be recycled include a variety of computer disks
that contain unknown grade plastic. A good reason why we should try and
reuse them as often as possible before throwing them out. "

JedMeister

A 'recycling' fee should be added to all products to cover the cost of
dismantling/recycling. It seems recycling is not really taken seriously in
this country.

"Patrick Dunford" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). nz...
> [...]
> melted and made into logs of solid plastic for export."
>
> "Recycling Other Materials
>
> We also recycle the various all the various documentation that normally
> comes with a computer. i.e. Software and other manuals. However not
> everything can be recycled at the present time.
>
> The tubes from CRT (cathode ray tube) monitors are currently not able to
> be recycled and present a large problem for us. CRT's contain two bad
> chemicals. The front of the screen is made from Berium Glass and the back
> of the tube is made from Lead Glass. Presently these cannot be recycled
> in New Zealand. These are sent overseas for processing.
>
> Other things not able to be recycled include a variety of computer disks
> that contain unknown grade plastic. A good reason why we should try and
> reuse them as often as possible before throwing them out. "

JohnO

<top post corrected>

"JedMeister" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:yZJ6d.8193$(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]

> > comes with a computer. i.e. Software and other manuals. However not
> > everything can be recycled at the present time.
> >
> > The tubes from CRT (cathode ray tube) monitors are currently not able to
> > be recycled and present a large problem for us. CRT's contain two bad
> > chemicals. The front of the screen is made from Berium Glass and the

back
> > of the tube is made from Lead Glass. Presently these cannot be recycled
> > in New Zealand. These are sent overseas for processing.
> >
> > Other things not able to be recycled include a variety of computer disks
> > that contain unknown grade plastic. A good reason why we should try and
> > reuse them as often as possible before throwing them out. "
> >

> A 'recycling' fee should be added to all products to cover the cost of
> dismantling/recycling. It seems recycling is not really taken seriously in

As in a tax? Nice idea but it would be just like the petrol tax - it would
go straight to the consolidated fund and never go near a recycling
operation.

Waylon Kenning

It seems like Thu, 30 Sep 2004 14:19:51 +1200 was when "JohnO"
<(E-Mail Removed)> said Blah blah blah...

><top post corrected>

To be honest, I didn't mind the top post, because I didn't have to
scroll down to see the message. I have a habit in Agent, that if the
comment is so far down that I have to scroll down (using 12pt fonts on
a 1024x768 screen), then I can't be bothered reading them.
--
Regards,
Waylon Kenning.

1st Year B.I.T. WelTec

Robert Singers

Out from under a rock popped Waylon Kenning and said

> It seems like Thu, 30 Sep 2004 14:19:51 +1200 was when "JohnO"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> said Blah blah blah...
>
>><top post corrected>

> To be honest, I didn't mind the top post, because I didn't have to
> scroll down to see the message. I have a habit in Agent, that if the
> comment is so far down that I have to scroll down (using 12pt fonts on
> a 1024x768 screen), then I can't be bothered reading them.

I thought it was particularly funny correcting one breach of netiquette
while commiting another. Personally I dislike top posting and have been
abandoning reading a lot of threads recently in various NGs due to top
posting losing the context. I don't see why I should have to spend time
trying to work out what particular point the author is replying to.

--
rob singers
pull finger to reply

Alan Liefting

JedMeister wrote:
> A 'recycling' fee should be added to all products to cover the cost of
> dismantling/recycling. It seems recycling is not really taken seriously in
> this country.

This has happen in California as of July on monitors and TV's.

Alan Liefting

>>A 'recycling' fee should be added to all products to cover the cost of
>>dismantling/recycling. It seems recycling is not really taken seriously in
>>this country.
>>

> As in a tax? Nice idea but it would be just like the petrol tax - it would
> go straight to the consolidated fund and never go near a recycling
> operation.

The best option as I see it is a "takeback" scheme or "extended producer
responsibility".

This is not a tax.

These schemes tell the manufacturers something like "over the next x
years you MUST take back your product for recycling and by the year
xxxx you will recycle xx% of your product."

Alan Liefting

Patrick Dunford wrote:
> Question that was posed in Aardvark this morning
> http://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2004/0930.shtml
>
> This page describes what is probably the nearest thing to recycling
> computers or other electronic goods we have got.
> http://www.molten.org.nz/pages/recycling.html
> Molten Media Trust 190 Wordsworth St Christchurch

Molten Media are doing but a drop in the bucket of the total e-waste in
Chch. It is however better than nothing. Unfortunately, as far as I
can tell, the recovered circuit boards are sent to China for processing.
China is a dumping ground for e-waste and the processing of this waste
is causinf environmental havoc.

See also http:www.ban.org

Alan Liefting

> * Mixed grades of unidentified soft and hard plastic received are
> stored before being recycled in a 'plastic to diesel plant'. The major
> benefits to the environment of this process are that it can handle
> unidentified and also dirty plastics both of which are a major problem
> for waste plastic recycling.

This is a little disingeuous. This 'plastic to diesel plant' does not
exist in NZ as yet. Apparently only two such plants exist in other
parts of the world.

Alan Liefting

> I think we have to ask also why the Christchurch City Council will not
> collect more than 2 grades of plastic from the kerbside if there are
> processes that can handle breakdowns of all grades of plastic. No doubt
> this is the question that has taxed the opponents of the new landfill.

It comes down to cost. All other plastics are only discarded in small
amounts, are difficult to seperate and are not easily recycled in NZ
hence the higher cost.

See also http://www.ccc.govt.nz/Waste/Recycling/Plastic.asp

StateServer and aspnet_wp.exe recycling warlord ASP .Net 0 03-05-2004 07:17 AM
aspnet wp recycling. adam ASP .Net 8 01-20-2004 12:05 PM
recycling the ASPNet_WP.EXE + application-state Objects get lost. Grinninger ASP .Net 3 07-30-2003 12:12 PM
"viewstate is invalid for this page and might be corrupted" - why does worker process recycling cause this? Trevor Andrew ASP .Net 0 07-25-2003 04:58 AM
Viewstate Corrupt error message after "Worker Process" recycling Trevor Andrew ASP .Net 2 07-24-2003 01:34 PM

Advertisments