Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Linux users and backups

Linux users and backups

Italian Jobs

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 20:27:04 +1200, steve <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Lawrence DčOliveiro wrote:
>
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> "troglodyte" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>I think Ill just burn one cd a week as a back up. Hell, its only about 30
>>>cents a disk init ?

>> There is also the risk that, if a burn fails with an error, it could
>> render previous sessions on that disc unreadable.

>I haven't used multi-session since the last time I lost all the data on a CD
>(in Win98SE).....
>
>CD-R are cheap enough that I don't bother with multi-session at all.
>
>Hard drives are cheap enough I don't bother with CD-Rs. Chances are the hard
>drive will still work after the CD-R has become unreadable.

OK, if thats the case then - I back up to DVDs and CDs now and have
multiple copies of things on my server - will a HDD last longer if
it's in daily use or if it's taken out and put in a cupboard for a
year? Opinions?

EMB

Italian Jobs wrote:

> OK, if thats the case then - I back up to DVDs and CDs now and have
> multiple copies of things on my server - will a HDD last longer if
> it's in daily use or if it's taken out and put in a cupboard for a
> year? Opinions?

IME a lot HDD's don't much like starting up after having sat for a while
(percussive maintenance usually fixes that).

I'll probably get flamed for this (and Woger will be in with tales of
bit rot) but I'm pretty well sold on tape for backups. I've still got
readable tapes from 1995 hanging around, although I restore them and
back them up again onto new media every 3 years or so (as my backup
media type changes). My backup software yells at me when it feels that
tapes are getting old enough to be unreliable and reminds me to do
something about them too. CD's just don't hold enough data and in my
opinion the jury is still out of the lifespan of DVD-R media.

--
EMB
change two to the number to reply

troglodyte

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 13:29:13 +1200, BrianM wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 08:09:19 +1200, troglodyte wrote:
>
>> How do you guys backup you linux work ? I ahve found something called
>> k3b. Very much like nero. But I have a probelm with it. As yet I havnet
>> figured out how to use a cdr more than once. as in multisession
>>
>> If i burn say one data file to a cdr it wont let me burn another file
>> later to add to it. It fixes it. Anyideas ? cant seem to find a
>> manual for the program.
>>
>> Other than that, if anyone has a better suggestion ?

> Hi trog.
> I use a 128Mb USB stick for vital data.
> works perfectly in Mandrake 10.
>
> chees
> BrianM

No woirries there brian. I got the memory stick. Got that monuted okay
too. Its handy for coping xp data to too and then dragging it thought to
linux aye.

troglodyte

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 12:05:12 +1200, Allistar wrote:

> troglodyte wrote:
>
>> How do you guys backup you linux work ? I ahve found something called
>> k3b. Very much like nero. But I have a probelm with it. As yet I havnet
>> figured out how to use a
>> cdr more than once. as in multisession
>>
>> If i burn say one data file to a cdr it wont let me burn another file
>> later to add to it. It fixes it. Anyideas ? cant seem to find a manual
>> for the program.
>>
>> Other than that, if anyone has a better suggestion ?

> An alternatuive way to backup (if you have a second computer on the LAN/WAN)
> is to simply copy files across the network using scp (or rsync). That is
> the primary way I backup critical data to many computers - settuping up a
> cron job to do this is easy.
>
> Allistar.

this is just a stand aloan

troglodyte

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 20:27:04 +1200, steve wrote:

> Lawrence DčOliveiro wrote:
>
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> "troglodyte" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>I think Ill just burn one cd a week as a back up. Hell, its only about 30
>>>cents a disk init ?

>> There is also the risk that, if a burn fails with an error, it could
>> render previous sessions on that disc unreadable.

> I haven't used multi-session since the last time I lost all the data on a CD
> (in Win98SE).....
>
> CD-R are cheap enough that I don't bother with multi-session at all.
>
> Hard drives are cheap enough I don't bother with CD-Rs. Chances are the hard
> drive will still work after the CD-R has become unreadable.

Already thought of that one. but I'm still wroking on haps of stuff here.
Im kinda there with getting the second h/d to mount but the its ehhh,
coming together

Lawrence DčOliveiro

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
steve <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>CD-R are cheap enough that I don't bother with multi-session at all.

Entirely reasonable.

>Hard drives are cheap enough I don't bother with CD-Rs. Chances are the hard
>drive will still work after the CD-R has become unreadable.

I would say, don't bet on it. I've personally suffered about 5 hard
drive failures in the last 6 years, across the 4 (now 5) machines I own.
And that's not counting the failures suffered by my clients. By
contrast, I've had maybe 1 or 2 CD-R failures among the hundreds I've
burnt in that time.

So no way would I claim that hard drives were anywhere near as reliable
as CD-R.

(CD-RW is a different matter...)