Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Linux users and backups

Linux users and backups

troglodyte

How do you guys backup you linux work ? I ahve found something called
k3b. Very much like nero. But I have a probelm with it. As yet I havnet figured out how to use a
cdr more than once. as in multisession

If i burn say one data file to a cdr it wont let me burn another file
later to add to it. It fixes it. Anyideas ? cant seem to find a manual
for the program.

Other than that, if anyone has a better suggestion ?

Mackin

troglodyte wrote:

> How do you guys backup you linux work ? I ahve found something called
> k3b. Very much like nero. But I have a probelm with it. As yet I havnet
> figured out how to use a
> cdr more than once. as in multisession
>
> If i burn say one data file to a cdr it wont let me burn another file
> later to add to it. It fixes it. Anyideas ? cant seem to find a manual
> for the program.
>
> Other than that, if anyone has a better suggestion ?

After you've created your project and clicked the "Burn" button, click the
"Settings" tab in the resulting dialog. There you can select "No
Multisession", "Start Multisession", "Continue Multisession" & "Finish
Multisession"

Hope this helps,

Mackin

troglodyte

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 08:40:24 +1200, Mackin wrote:

> troglodyte wrote:
>
>> How do you guys backup you linux work ? I ahve found something called
>> k3b. Very much like nero. But I have a probelm with it. As yet I havnet
>> figured out how to use a
>> cdr more than once. as in multisession
>>
>> If i burn say one data file to a cdr it wont let me burn another file
>> later to add to it. It fixes it. Anyideas ? cant seem to find a manual
>> for the program.
>>
>> Other than that, if anyone has a better suggestion ?

> After you've created your project and clicked the "Burn" button, click the
> "Settings" tab in the resulting dialog. There you can select "No
> Multisession", "Start Multisession", "Continue Multisession" & "Finish
> Multisession"
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Mackin

thanks man. tried that. already worked through that one but it seems it
will only allow me to write the one session., In other words, If I click
the multisession it brings up an error. cant append disk etc.

It will only write the one session.

Mackin

troglodyte wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 08:40:24 +1200, Mackin wrote:
>
>> troglodyte wrote:
>>
>>> How do you guys backup you linux work ? I ahve found something called
>>> k3b. Very much like nero. But I have a probelm with it. As yet I havnet
>>> figured out how to use a
>>> cdr more than once. as in multisession
>>>
>>> If i burn say one data file to a cdr it wont let me burn another file
>>> later to add to it. It fixes it. Anyideas ? cant seem to find a
>>> manual for the program.
>>>
>>> Other than that, if anyone has a better suggestion ?

>> After you've created your project and clicked the "Burn" button, click
>> the "Settings" tab in the resulting dialog. There you can select "No
>> Multisession", "Start Multisession", "Continue Multisession" & "Finish
>> Multisession"
>>
>> Hope this helps,
>>
>> Mackin

> thanks man. tried that. already worked through that one but it seems it
> will only allow me to write the one session., In other words, If I click
> the multisession it brings up an error. cant append disk etc.
>
> It will only write the one session.

Ahh, well you didn't say you were getting an error, you said you didn't know
how to use it. Please be more specific.

What does the error say?

Mackin.

troglodyte

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 09:00:16 +1200, Mackin wrote:

> troglodyte wrote:

>>> After you've created your project and clicked the "Burn" button, click
>>> the "Settings" tab in the resulting dialog. There you can select "No
>>> Multisession", "Start Multisession", "Continue Multisession" & "Finish
>>> Multisession"
>>>
>>> Hope this helps,
>>>
>>> Mackin

>> thanks man. tried that. already worked through that one but it seems it
>> will only allow me to write the one session., In other words, If I click
>> the multisession it brings up an error. cant append disk etc.
>>
>> It will only write the one session.

> Ahh, well you didn't say you were getting an error, you said you didn't know
> how to use it. Please be more specific.
>
> What does the error say?
>
> Mackin.

From what I can see its a code 1. There's a whole mass of other data.
Basiclly it failed. It's a lack of instruction or knowledge on my part.
For the lack of any instruction manual. first of all I clicked multi session.
I think the the experiment failed at first as the file I wanted to burn
was to small. if thats possible.

I think Ill just burn one cd a week as a back up. Hell, its only about 30
cents a disk init ?

I think part of my probelm is a lack of understanding of the program. And
understanding of any faults that it may have. Or tolerances.

sometimes i just need to back up some data files and address's. that all
really. nothing major. would take me a year to fill a cdr with data or
stuff Ive kept off the net.

Allistar

troglodyte wrote:

> How do you guys backup you linux work ? I ahve found something called
> k3b. Very much like nero. But I have a probelm with it. As yet I havnet
> figured out how to use a
> cdr more than once. as in multisession
>
> If i burn say one data file to a cdr it wont let me burn another file
> later to add to it. It fixes it. Anyideas ? cant seem to find a manual
> for the program.
>
> Other than that, if anyone has a better suggestion ?

An alternatuive way to backup (if you have a second computer on the LAN/WAN)
is to simply copy files across the network using scp (or rsync). That is
the primary way I backup critical data to many computers - settuping up a
cron job to do this is easy.

Allistar.

BrianM

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 08:09:19 +1200, troglodyte wrote:

> How do you guys backup you linux work ? I ahve found something called
> k3b. Very much like nero. But I have a probelm with it. As yet I havnet
> figured out how to use a cdr more than once. as in multisession
>
> If i burn say one data file to a cdr it wont let me burn another file
> later to add to it. It fixes it. Anyideas ? cant seem to find a
> manual for the program.
>
> Other than that, if anyone has a better suggestion ?

Hi trog.
I use a 128Mb USB stick for vital data.
works perfectly in Mandrake 10.

chees
BrianM

Lawrence DčOliveiro

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
"troglodyte" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I think Ill just burn one cd a week as a back up. Hell, its only about 30
>cents a disk init ?

There is also the risk that, if a burn fails with an error, it could
render previous sessions on that disc unreadable.

steve

troglodyte wrote:

> How do you guys backup you linux work ? I ahve found something called
> k3b. Very much like nero. But I have a probelm with it. As yet I havnet
> figured out how to use a
> cdr more than once. as in multisession
>
> If i burn say one data file to a cdr it wont let me burn another file
> later to add to it. It fixes it. Anyideas ? cant seem to find a manual
> for the program.
>
> Other than that, if anyone has a better suggestion ?

XCDRoast allows multi-session CDs. It can handle DVD writers as well (if you
add a plugin).

I prefer it to K3b by a LONG way.

--
Distributed Computing Projects:
SETI at Home

steve

Lawrence DčOliveiro wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "troglodyte" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I think Ill just burn one cd a week as a back up. Hell, its only about 30
>>cents a disk init ?

> There is also the risk that, if a burn fails with an error, it could
> render previous sessions on that disc unreadable.

I haven't used multi-session since the last time I lost all the data on a CD
(in Win98SE).....

CD-R are cheap enough that I don't bother with multi-session at all.

Hard drives are cheap enough I don't bother with CD-Rs. Chances are the hard
drive will still work after the CD-R has become unreadable.