Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Which ISP/Hosting services are Linux-friendly

Which ISP/Hosting services are Linux-friendly

pochino

Paradise/Telstra are quitting their local AKL number from this week. So I
need another ISP.

I'm after a dialup account (150hr/mth min, with Newsgroups) and webhosting
(15MB min) and am finding it a little hard to check the ISPs out. I
suppose I'll get there, but then I wondered about Linux-friendly ones.

I know RISC OS is not Linux, but I'm slightly wary of MS-centred ISPs.

I've had some recent dialup problems with Paradise, possibly a combination
of my PPPdriver and their mail server setup. The problem is from a few
months ago I can't access their SMTP server and send mail - using their
0867 line.

Paradise first said I should upgrade my modem driver (Windows naturally).
Well, I tried many recommended Init strings. Yet I am easily able to (have
been for years) using their local AK phone line. Fetch yes, but no SMTP
access. Amazing. Soon as I disconnect and re-dial their local no I can
send ok. Repeatable. If I use an earlier my RISC OS model with a different
PPPdriver I can fetch and send ok.

contenders so far:
i4u - newsgroups 'in a cou[le of weeks'
webworld - newsgroups?
quicksilver

Any comments/recomendations?

Thanks

Brian

--
Brian Adam
Auckland NEW ZEALAND

thing

pochino wrote:
> Paradise/Telstra are quitting their local AKL number from this week. So I
> need another ISP.
>
> I'm after a dialup account (150hr/mth min, with Newsgroups) and webhosting
> (15MB min) and am finding it a little hard to check the ISPs out. I
> suppose I'll get there, but then I wondered about Linux-friendly ones.
>
> I know RISC OS is not Linux, but I'm slightly wary of MS-centred ISPs.
>
> I've had some recent dialup problems with Paradise, possibly a combination
> of my PPPdriver and their mail server setup. The problem is from a few
> months ago I can't access their SMTP server and send mail - using their
> 0867 line.
>
> Paradise first said I should upgrade my modem driver (Windows naturally).
> Well, I tried many recommended Init strings. Yet I am easily able to (have
> been for years) using their local AK phone line. Fetch yes, but no SMTP
> access. Amazing. Soon as I disconnect and re-dial their local no I can
> send ok. Repeatable. If I use an earlier my RISC OS model with a different
> PPPdriver I can fetch and send ok.
>
> contenders so far:
> i4u - newsgroups 'in a cou[le of weeks'
> webworld - newsgroups?
> quicksilver
>
> Any comments/recomendations?
>
> Thanks
>
> Brian

I have used Paradise in and out on cable all Linux and Mac OSx,
sendmail, fetchmail no problems, have used them for 3 odd years.

It is possible that Paradise's dailin connections have only now been
merged into Clear's setup, so I certainly would not bother with Clear,
either. I have "vague problems" with NT4 and Win2k with them and get
this "update your drivers" crap, I think its a shove off to keep you
occupied while what ever has broken yet again gets fixed.

I did this as a solution for a quicksilver client about 2 years ago,

http://www.thing.dyndns.org/debian/dialup.htm

It is pretty standard stuff for ppp.

regards

Thing

pochino

In article <MFN5d.5545$(E-Mail Removed)>,
thing <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> pochino wrote:
>> Paradise/Telstra are quitting their local AKL number from this week. So
>> I need another ISP. I'm after a dialup account (150hr/mth min, with
>> Newsgroups) and webhosting (15MB min) and am finding it a little hard
>> to check the ISPs out. I suppose I'll get there, but then I wondered
>> about Linux-friendly ones. I know RISC OS is not Linux, but I'm
>> slightly wary of MS-centred ISPs.

> I did this as a solution for a quicksilver client about 2 years ago,
> http://www.thing.dyndns.org/debian/dialup.htm
> It is pretty standard stuff for ppp.
> regards
> Thing

Thanks for that. Duly archived. Though it's just a tensy bit OS-related
info. When I investigate debian for RISC OS which is avaiable now ...

I'd better find another ISP if I am having problems with Paradise. Next
question is how to tell the hosting services apart. That's in another
post.

Brian

--
Brian Adam