Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > router model advice

router model advice

translatef

What router models could you suggest for such architecture:
Internal network contains approx. 350 hosts, we have a single internet
connection
to our ISP, it's 10mbps ethernet. In near future we will upgrade it to
20mbps.
I want set up two routers with DMZ between them, first of them wil be
directly
connected to our ISP (there will be some acls there, not many), second one
will be connected
to our internal LAN (nat, qos). I think about 26xx or 28xx series, will it
be enough?

tia

Merv

take a look at Cisco 3825

Jamie

I usually have pretty good luck with the product advisor

http://tools.cisco.com/GCT/PCTPST/en...d-Compare_Find

Martin Latos

> What router models could you suggest for such architecture:
> Internal network contains approx. 350 hosts, we have a single internet
> connection
> to our ISP, it's 10mbps ethernet. In near future we will upgrade it to
> 20mbps.
> I want set up two routers with DMZ between them, first of them wil be
> directly
> connected to our ISP (there will be some acls there, not many), second one
> will be connected
> to our internal LAN (nat, qos). I think about 26xx or 28xx series, will it
> be enough?

Why not a single 1812? It can handle 20mbps (AFAIK).

If you want two routers I suggest 2811 for the extrenal router, or a pix ;]

Harv Ester

Martin Latos wrote:

>> What router models could you suggest for such architecture:
>> Internal network contains approx. 350 hosts, we have a single internet
>> connection
>> to our ISP, it's 10mbps ethernet. In near future we will upgrade it to
>> 20mbps.
>> I want set up two routers with DMZ between them, first of them wil be
>> directly
>> connected to our ISP (there will be some acls there, not many), second
>> one will be connected
>> to our internal LAN (nat, qos). I think about 26xx or 28xx series,
>> will it be enough?

> Why not a single 1812? It can handle 20mbps (AFAIK).

20Mbps is very doable. Even applying the "Cisco filter" to Cisco's
claimed throughput, a 2811 should be able to handle that.

If you want 20Mbps through your NAT translation, and also want to
survive an external DoS, then that may be a bit more of a challenge for
the 2811. Be sure to have your upstream cap the traffic at 10Mbps or
20Mbps; if you have compromisable systems inside, cap your LAN before it
hits the router too. I doubt that the 2811 will stand-up to 250k new
flows per second from your LAN.

If you have an all-ethernet setup, and NAT plus filtering is all you
need to do, you might consider using a pair of firewalls instead of
routers. The kpps per dollar is higher, and quality firewalls have many
router features, including fairly full routing protocols.

Harv

--
please direct spam to: