Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Linux in every thread

Linux in every thread

Jason X

What the hell is up with the linux pushers, you guys are like drug
dealers standing on street corner.

Every time somebody has a problem that they want an answer for, up pops
the linux pusher with no helpful advice other than to use linux.

Tell you what im glad that they dont sell linux door to door, because
you guys are worse than a bunch of mormon's trying to push their goods
on you everytime you answer the door bell.

"Divine" next time you see somebody with a so called "windoze" problem,
stand well back, put a piece of sticky tape across those big lips of
yours, and let somebody who isn't a "linux pusher" answer the question.

Now i have got nothing at all against linux i think that it is great to
have a choice other than windows , for those people that feel microsoft
software is not up to scratch, or they want a "free" OS etc, what i do
have a problem with is the pushers who jump into every thread about
windows and then hijack the whole thread and turn it into a linux vs
windows thing.

The orginal poster especially if they are new to this group will most
likely give up and go elsewhere since they dont want to know about linux
what they want is a straight up answer from somebody who knows what they
are talking about and isn't a linux pusher.

So next time you see a thread where somebody has a question about
windows, ask yourself "Do i want to help this person out by answering
their question, or do i want to be a pusher, and not help them out with
a valid answer, and instead hijack the thread and turn it into a linux
vs windows thread???

Jase

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Jason X wrote:
> So next time you see a thread where somebody has a question about
> windows, ask yourself "Do i want to help this person out by answering
> their question, or do i want to be a pusher, and not help them out with
> a valid answer, and instead hijack the thread and turn it into a linux
> vs windows thread???

but linux is better yo.

wogers nemesis

On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 15:52:00 +1200, Jason X wrote:

> What the hell is up with the linux pushers, you guys are like drug
> dealers standing on street corner.
>
> Every time somebody has a problem that they want an answer for, up pops
> the linux pusher with no helpful advice other than to use linux.
>
> Tell you what im glad that they dont sell linux door to door, because
> you guys are worse than a bunch of mormon's trying to push their goods
> on you everytime you answer the door bell.
>
> "Divine" next time you see somebody with a so called "windoze" problem,
> stand well back, put a piece of sticky tape across those big lips of
> yours, and let somebody who isn't a "linux pusher" answer the question.
>
> Now i have got nothing at all against linux i think that it is great to
> have a choice other than windows , for those people that feel microsoft
> software is not up to scratch, or they want a "free" OS etc, what i do
> have a problem with is the pushers who jump into every thread about
> windows and then hijack the whole thread and turn it into a linux vs
> windows thing.
>
> The orginal poster especially if they are new to this group will most
> likely give up and go elsewhere since they dont want to know about linux
> what they want is a straight up answer from somebody who knows what they
> are talking about and isn't a linux pusher.
>
> So next time you see a thread where somebody has a question about
> windows, ask yourself "Do i want to help this person out by answering
> their question, or do i want to be a pusher, and not help them out with
> a valid answer, and instead hijack the thread and turn it into a linux
> vs windows thread???
>
> Jase

OK, I'll start suggesting Mac OS X then. Most posters don't even tell you
what OS they are using..

I find hard to be a drug pusher when the solution is "free" (well normally,
of course it does cost time but all software does).

Most people don't even know about newsgroups these days .. and they give up
easily anyway..

Malcolm

> On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 16:13:44 +1200, wogers nemesis wrote:
>

>>>So next time you see a thread where somebody has a question about
>>>windows, ask yourself "Do i want to help this person out by answering
>>>their question, or do i want to be a pusher, and not help them out with
>>>a valid answer, and instead hijack the thread and turn it into a linux
>>>vs windows thread???
>>>
>>>Jase

>>OK, I'll start suggesting Mac OS X then. Most posters don't even tell you
>>what OS they are using..

> Nice!
>
> MacOS X is basically a flavour of BSD Unix with a fancy GUI on top.
>
> Both BSD and Linux are safe and worthy systems to use.
>

> Divine

Hey...don't forget Solaris x86

--
Cheers
Malcolm °¿°

NOSPAM@NOSPAM.invalid.com

On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 16:13:44 +1200, wogers nemesis wrote:

>> So next time you see a thread where somebody has a question about
>> windows, ask yourself "Do i want to help this person out by answering
>> their question, or do i want to be a pusher, and not help them out with
>> a valid answer, and instead hijack the thread and turn it into a linux
>> vs windows thread???
>>
>> Jase

> OK, I'll start suggesting Mac OS X then. Most posters don't even tell you
> what OS they are using..

Nice!

MacOS X is basically a flavour of BSD Unix with a fancy GUI on top.

Both BSD and Linux are safe and worthy systems to use.

Divine

--
"Even the most fanatical Microsoft supporter has to see that Longhorn has
become Shorthorn."

Harry

Jason X wrote:

> What the hell is up with the linux pushers, you guys are like drug
> dealers standing on street corner.

Bad analogy. Drug dealers dont give anything away for free.

> Every time somebody has a problem that they want an answer for, up pops
> the linux pusher with no helpful advice other than to use linux.

So if they are using Windows how come they have so many problems?

> Tell you what im glad that they dont sell linux door to door, because
> you guys are worse than a bunch of mormon's trying to push their goods
> on you everytime you answer the door bell.

As you said, they dont sell linux door to door.
Therefore your mormon an alog, by your own admisssion, is stupid.

> "Divine" next time you see somebody with a so called "windoze" problem,
> stand well back, put a piece of sticky tape across those big lips of
> yours, and let somebody who isn't a "linux pusher" answer the question.
>
> Now i have got nothing at all against linux i think that it is great to
> have a choice other than windows , for those people that feel microsoft
> software is not up to scratch, or they want a "free" OS etc, what i do
> have a problem with is the pushers who jump into every thread about
> windows and then hijack the whole thread and turn it into a linux vs
> windows thing.
>
> The orginal poster especially if they are new to this group will most
> likely give up and go elsewhere since they dont want to know about linux
> what they want is a straight up answer from somebody who knows what they
> are talking about and isn't a linux pusher.
>
> So next time you see a thread where somebody has a question about
> windows, ask yourself "Do i want to help this person out by answering
> their question, or do i want to be a pusher, and not help them out with
> a valid answer, and instead hijack the thread and turn it into a linux
> vs windows thread???

Good on you jase.

NOSPAM@NOSPAM.invalid.com

On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 16:48:35 +1200, Malcolm wrote:

>> Both BSD and Linux are safe and worthy systems to use.

> Hey...don't forget Solaris x86

True! And thanks for giving me a copy, Malcolm. It was a pleasure
meeting up with you.

Box number 6, once it's back together again, will be running Solaris x86.

Speaking of meeting up with people...

When will be the next meeting in Wellington for regulars of nz.comp?

Anyone interested in such a soiree?

Divine

--
"Even the most fanatical Microsoft supporter has to see that Longhorn has
become Shorthorn."

thing

Malcolm wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>>> OK, I'll start suggesting Mac OS X then. Most posters don't even
>>> tell you
>>> what OS they are using..

>> Nice!
>>
>> MacOS X is basically a flavour of BSD Unix with a fancy GUI on top.
>>
>> Both BSD and Linux are safe and worthy systems to use.
>>

>> Divine
>>

> Hey...don't forget Solaris x86

ouch....what an awful product.....

Sun's answer to Linux.....lol

As for OSx its way better than OS9....OS9 looked naff and was not very
stable, now the OSx desktop is way cool. Interesting the preview of
Longhorn I saw was very OSx like, except its 2 or 3 or 4 years away....

regards

Thing

Cheetah

Jason X wrote:

> What the hell is up with the linux pushers, you guys are like drug
> dealers standing on street corner.
>
> Every time somebody has a problem that they want an answer for, up pops
> the linux pusher with no helpful advice other than to use linux.

I know where you are coming from - it can get a bit boring to have Linux
mentioned every time someone has an issue.

Since I make a living on Linux I'm pretty much in the hot seat when it comes
to implementing it in the real world. Advocacy is all very well, but the
"why not switch" thread often underestimates the cost and difficulty of
switching.

What I have seen is that advocates who are more concerned with pushing the
Linux agenda than understanding the clients requirements can do more bad
than good. There are stories out there of Linux gone wrong - just as there
are stories of Linux done right, and it has *nothing* at all to do with the
technology.

However, getting back on topic, often we hear of users having problems with
Windows which are simply non-issues on Linux right now, and the people who
have the issues just don't know there is an alternative out there that
could solve their issues overnight.

For example, my mum is running Windows 95 on a old 200 Mhz pentium. Its
bogged down with all kinds of spyware and junk through running unprotected
for years, and god knows where the install media is. She needs a new
machine - but she is... well to be blunt not very technically minded. She
is used to Outlook and IE.

Well last night I took over my laptop with Suse on it just to see if she
could use it. The good news is that she could. Firefox for browsing is
pretty much like IE (except better with tabs), and Kontact provides
everything she wants in terms of what she has now with Outlook. Only no
irritating "press F5" to send messages. Without me telling her about Linux
she just wouldn't have even known about it.

And thats why you get people trying to educate about Linux - because most
people don't even know about it - and there is a very real chance it could
not only resolve an issue at hand, but also improve their whole computing
experience. We don't have millions of dollars to do adverts on TV, and
therefore public forums are one of the few places we can educate/brain wash
people

Steve

thing wrote:
> Malcolm wrote:
>
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>>> Nice!
>>>
>>> MacOS X is basically a flavour of BSD Unix with a fancy GUI on top.
>>>
>>> Both BSD and Linux are safe and worthy systems to use.
>>>

>>> Divine
>>>

>> Hey...don't forget Solaris x86
>>

> ouch....what an awful product.....
>
> Sun's answer to Linux.....lol

No... Sun currently supports both Slowlaris ( SPARC and X86) and linux.

> As for OSx its way better than OS9....OS9 looked naff and was not very
> stable, now the OSx desktop is way cool. Interesting the preview of
> Longhorn I saw was very OSx like, except its 2 or 3 or 4 years away....
>
> regards
>
> Thing

What about the OS9 I was using in the mid 80's?

Steve