Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Windows XP SP2

Windows XP SP2

Whosamawotsit

I'm trying to install XP SP2 onto my father's PC from the disk that came
with PC World. Its a PC I built for him around 2 years ago, currently
running XP SP1, it has an Asus CUA motherboard which is based on an
all-in-one Ali chipset with a 800MHz Celeron and 256MB RAM.

It gets to the stage of rebooting after installation and showing the XP
splash screen and then it quits - showing a BSOD for a fraction on a second.
To get his PC back up and running I had to boot into safe mode and uninstall
SP2. I've checked the event log and there's nothing there to indicate what
the error may be.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Harry

Whosamawotsit wrote:

> I'm trying to install XP SP2 onto my father's PC from the disk that came
> with PC World. Its a PC I built for him around 2 years ago, currently
> running XP SP1, it has an Asus CUA motherboard which is based on an
> all-in-one Ali chipset with a 800MHz Celeron and 256MB RAM.
>
> It gets to the stage of rebooting after installation and showing the XP
> splash screen and then it quits - showing a BSOD for a fraction on a
> second. To get his PC back up and running I had to boot into safe mode and
> uninstall SP2. I've checked the event log and there's nothing there to
> indicate what the error may be.
>
> Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Dont install SP2.

Waylon Kenning

It seems like Sat, 25 Sep 2004 17:27:06 +1200 was when "Whosamawotsit"
<(E-Mail Removed)> said Blah blah blah...

>It gets to the stage of rebooting after installation and showing the XP
>splash screen and then it quits - showing a BSOD for a fraction on a second.
>To get his PC back up and running I had to boot into safe mode and uninstall
>SP2. I've checked the event log and there's nothing there to indicate what
>the error may be.

Right click on My computer > advanced > startup and recovery settings
> uncheck automatically restart.

At least now you'll be able to see what the BSOD says.
--
Regards,
Waylon Kenning.

1st Year B.I.T. WelTec

Nicolaas Hawkins

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 17:27:06 +1200, Whosamawotsit <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote in <news:4l75d.5206$(E-Mail Removed)>:

> I'm trying to install XP SP2 onto my father's PC from the disk that came
> with PC World. Its a PC I built for him around 2 years ago, currently
> running XP SP1, it has an Asus CUA motherboard which is based on an
> all-in-one Ali chipset with a 800MHz Celeron and 256MB RAM.
>
> It gets to the stage of rebooting after installation and showing the XP
> splash screen and then it quits - showing a BSOD for a fraction on a second.
> To get his PC back up and running I had to boot into safe mode and uninstall
> SP2. I've checked the event log and there's nothing there to indicate what
> the error may be.
>
> Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

A friend of mine had that very problem ...turned out to be a third party
(A4Tech) mousedriver that was not compatible with SP2. May help ... or
not.

--
Regards,
Nicolaas.

- Love is free. What you DO, isn't.

wogers nemesis

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 17:27:06 +1200, Whosamawotsit wrote:

> I'm trying to install XP SP2 onto my father's PC from the disk that came
> with PC World. Its a PC I built for him around 2 years ago, currently
> running XP SP1, it has an Asus CUA motherboard which is based on an
> all-in-one Ali chipset with a 800MHz Celeron and 256MB RAM.
>
> It gets to the stage of rebooting after installation and showing the XP
> splash screen and then it quits - showing a BSOD for a fraction on a second.
> To get his PC back up and running I had to boot into safe mode and uninstall
> SP2. I've checked the event log and there's nothing there to indicate what
> the error may be.
>
> Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Check for spyware and viruses.
Make sure the vid drivers and chipset drivers are recent.
Check bios version.

If still getting no where I'd make a slipstreamed Win XP CD with SP2 and do
a reinstall..

Jax

Whosamawotsit wrote:
> I'm trying to install XP SP2 onto my father's PC from the disk that came
> with PC World. Its a PC I built for him around 2 years ago, currently
> running XP SP1, it has an Asus CUA motherboard which is based on an
> all-in-one Ali chipset with a 800MHz Celeron and 256MB RAM.
>
> It gets to the stage of rebooting after installation and showing the XP
> splash screen and then it quits - showing a BSOD for a fraction on a second.
> To get his PC back up and running I had to boot into safe mode and uninstall
> SP2. I've checked the event log and there's nothing there to indicate what
> the error may be.
>
> Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Update BIOS !!

Gordon

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 17:33:18 +1200, Harry wrote:

> Dont install SP2.

But he has.

Next please.

Harry

Gordon wrote:

> On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 17:33:18 +1200, Harry wrote:
>
>> Dont install SP2.

> But he has.
>
> Next please.

He said he uninstalled it. Compre?

Next stupid comment please.

~misfit~

Whosamawotsit wrote:
> I'm trying to install XP SP2 onto my father's PC from the disk that
> came with PC World. Its a PC I built for him around 2 years ago,
> currently running XP SP1, it has an Asus CUA motherboard which is
> based on an all-in-one Ali chipset with a 800MHz Celeron and 256MB
> RAM.
>
> It gets to the stage of rebooting after installation and showing the
> XP splash screen and then it quits - showing a BSOD for a fraction on
> a second. To get his PC back up and running I had to boot into safe
> mode and uninstall SP2. I've checked the event log and there's
> nothing there to indicate what the error may be.
>
> Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

No, but...

I installed SP2 on my gateway machine and I thought all was well. Then,
after a restart there was a oblong, like a dialog box, in the middle of the
screen. However, although I could move it by dragging where you'd expect a
title bar to be, it was unreadable. It only showed a portion what was
on-screen immediately before, it didn't re-draw the box. Also, all my icons
in the systray (I have about 14 there) were dissapearing and the process's
associated with them were stopping (as far as I could tell).

The unknown box wouldn't go away despite repeated reboots and defrags etc. I
uninstalled SP2.

Tualatin Celeron 1400Mhz 512MB RAM XP Pro SP1.
--
~misfit~

troglodyte

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 17:27:06 +1200, Whosamawotsit wrote:

> I'm trying to install XP SP2 onto my father's PC from the disk that came
> with PC World. Its a PC I built for him around 2 years ago, currently
> running XP SP1, it has an Asus CUA motherboard which is based on an
> all-in-one Ali chipset with a 800MHz Celeron and 256MB RAM.
>
> It gets to the stage of rebooting after installation and showing the XP
> splash screen and then it quits - showing a BSOD for a fraction on a second.
> To get his PC back up and running I had to boot into safe mode and uninstall
> SP2. I've checked the event log and there's nothing there to indicate what
> the error may be.
>
> Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Yeah. Dump windows. go with linux. no virus thingies needed. dont even
need a firewall. and screw update. dont need em. lol

Am I converted guys or what ?