Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > New Jetstream plans Oct 24th

New Jetstream plans Oct 24th

John B

Anyone got the buzz on the new Jetstream plans to be implemented Oct 24th?

--
John B

Evil Bastard

John B wrote:
> Anyone got the buzz on the new Jetstream plans to be implemented Oct 24th?

Confirmed for rollout on Oct 24.

Question is, which year?

--
Cheers
EB

John B

Evil Bastard wrote:
> John B wrote:
>> Anyone got the buzz on the new Jetstream plans to be implemented Oct
>> 24th?

> Confirmed for rollout on Oct 24.
>
> Question is, which year?
>
> --
> Cheers
> EB

Yeah but...what are the plans?

--
John B

Brendan

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 12:46:15 +1200, Evil Bastard wrote:

>> Anyone got the buzz on the new Jetstream plans to be implemented Oct 24th?

> Confirmed for rollout on Oct 24.
>
> Question is, which year?

While the new plans look OK (still pretty expensive), I hope the commerce
commission bites Telecom hard for dragging it's heels over UBS and makes
them introduce faster speeds to it in line with better overseas examples.
Telecom is obviously 'punishing' ISP's and consumers for backing UBS by
playing silly games with wholesale contracts that are delayed, and
rewarding those who stay with Telecom's plans.

Telecom needs to be shown who runs this country and shown penalties for
artificially restricting the progress of it.

--

.... Brendan

"I hate quotations. Tell me what you know." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Note: All my comments are copyright 25/09/2004 1:17:12 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

traviscn

John B

traviscn wrote:
> http://www.telecom-media.co.nz/relea...096&page=index

ta.

--
John B

PseUDO

traviscn wrote:
> http://www.telecom-media.co.nz/relea...096&page=index

Still looks pretty confusing, jetstream surf plan which most people are
on, will become "jetstream explorer" 256k down 128k up 3GB limit but if
you go over tht amount instead of paying more money you get dropped down
to a 64k speed for the remaining time left on your plan for that month.

New "jetstream plus" 2Mbps down 192k up, 10GB $59.95 + isp fee.
I guess that should work out at a download speed of 248Kbps or their
abouts ??

This bit is good-
"All existing Surf customers will automatically receive the benefits of
flat-rate internet on their current plan during November and do not need
to do anything to make this change."

All jetstream customers will be advised of new plans over the next
month, and be able to upgrade to a new plan if they wish.

With most of us on the 3GB surf plan, their is really only the new
explorer plan , to upgrade to, for an extra $20 p/month or $240 p/year
to have 248K download speeds (or their abouts) instead of 32K ??, is it
worth an extra $240 a year?

Still good to see the new plans coming in- we have come a long way in
the last 2 years!

PseUDO

Mutley

PseUDO <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>traviscn wrote:
>> http://www.telecom-media.co.nz/relea...096&page=index
>>

>Still looks pretty confusing, jetstream surf plan which most people are
>on, will become "jetstream explorer" 256k down 128k up 3GB limit but if
>you go over tht amount instead of paying more money you get dropped down
>to a 64k speed for the remaining time left on your plan for that month.
>
>New "jetstream plus" 2Mbps down 192k up, 10GB $59.95 + isp fee.
>I guess that should work out at a download speed of 248Kbps or their
>abouts ??
>
>This bit is good-
>"All existing Surf customers will automatically receive the benefits of
>flat-rate internet on their current plan during November and do not need
>to do anything to make this change."
>
>All jetstream customers will be advised of new plans over the next
>month, and be able to upgrade to a new plan if they wish.
>
>With most of us on the 3GB surf plan, their is really only the new
>explorer plan , to upgrade to, for an extra $20 p/month or $240 p/year
>to have 248K download speeds (or their abouts) instead of 32K ??, is it
>worth an extra $240 a year?
>
>Still good to see the new plans coming in- we have come a long way in
>the last 2 years!
>
>PseUDO

Wonder how this will effect the ISPs like Orcon and their new all you
can eat 256K plans or will they be locked out of this 2Meg plan??

NOSPAM@NOSPAM.invalid.com

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 16:45:50 +1200, traviscn wrote:

> http://www.telecom-media.co.nz/relea...096&page=index

Broadband will still be capped, and still rate-limited.

It is *STILL* not full speed, uncapped, and flat-rate broadband.

It *still* costs more than twice that of dialup for Telecom subscribers,
and costs nearly three times dialup for non-Telecom subscribers.

If Telecom really wants people to move to broadband, then it should
provide true full-speed broadband both up and down, and should permit home
users to run their own servers.

Anything else is not a mature broadband service.

Divine

--
"Even the most fanatical Microsoft supporter has to see that Longhorn has
become Shorthorn."

Gordon

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 13:24:35 +1200, Brendan wrote:

> Telecom needs to be shown who runs this country and shown penalties for
> artificially restricting the progress of it.

History would suggest it was/is the Labour Government.