Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > How to increase space in partition

How to increase space in partition

Mrs Beeble Brock

Hi guys, I need to take some space from my d drive and add it to my c
drive - am getting blue screen of death and am assuming this is partly
related to the fact that I have only 5% of free space on the main c
drive. Disk Management doesn't have an option that I can see to change
the volume of partitions - any suggestions on how to do this?

Win 2000, 115 gig hard drive, 512 meg ram.

Thanks in advance,
Jo

Collector-NZ

Mrs Beeble Brock said the following on 24/09/2004 18:22:
> Hi guys, I need to take some space from my d drive and add it to my c
> drive - am getting blue screen of death and am assuming this is partly
> related to the fact that I have only 5% of free space on the main c
> drive. Disk Management doesn't have an option that I can see to change
> the volume of partitions - any suggestions on how to do this?
>
> Win 2000, 115 gig hard drive, 512 meg ram.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Jo

Simple answer dont change it, relocate your swap file to d: drive.
Control Panel > System >
Advanced tab >Performance options
Virtual Memory >Change

thing

Mrs Beeble Brock wrote:
> Hi guys, I need to take some space from my d drive and add it to my c
> drive - am getting blue screen of death and am assuming this is partly
> related to the fact that I have only 5% of free space on the main c
> drive. Disk Management doesn't have an option that I can see to change
> the volume of partitions - any suggestions on how to do this?
>
> Win 2000, 115 gig hard drive, 512 meg ram.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Jo

Windows has a swap file, sounds like that has run out of space, you can
go into the settings and point it to D: instead then reboot.

If you still have un-allocted space I would suggest making an E: drive
and dedicating that to the swap file, around 1 gig is heaps.

regards

Thing

Dave Taylor

Collector-NZ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:2rht4dF1aup1mU1
@uni-berlin.de:

> Mrs Beeble Brock said the following on 24/09/2004 18:22:
>> Hi guys, I need to take some space from my d drive and add it to my c
>> drive - am getting blue screen of death and am assuming this is partly
>> related to the fact that I have only 5% of free space on the main c
>> drive. Disk Management doesn't have an option that I can see to change
>> the volume of partitions - any suggestions on how to do this?
>>
>> Win 2000, 115 gig hard drive, 512 meg ram.
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Jo

> Simple answer dont change it, relocate your swap file to d: drive.
> Control Panel > System >
> Advanced tab >Performance options
> Virtual Memory >Change

And run that Start accessories system tools drive cleanup wizard.
Free NTFS resize is available on Knoppix. Qtparted works well. Don't
forget to backup first.
Ciao, Dave

Rosemary rm@===google===.com

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 19:28:42 +1200, thing <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Mrs Beeble Brock wrote:
>> Hi guys, I need to take some space from my d drive and add it to my c
>> drive - am getting blue screen of death and am assuming this is partly
>> related to the fact that I have only 5% of free space on the main c
>> drive. Disk Management doesn't have an option that I can see to change
>> the volume of partitions - any suggestions on how to do this?
>>
>> Win 2000, 115 gig hard drive, 512 meg ram.
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Jo

>Windows has a swap file, sounds like that has run out of space, you can
>go into the settings and point it to D: instead then reboot.
>
>If you still have un-allocted space I would suggest making an E: drive
>and dedicating that to the swap file, around 1 gig is heaps.
>
>regards
>
>Thing

Also turn off the Hibernate thing, as that can be a 1gig file or more..

But on my system it keeps tuning itself back on..

Mrs Beeble Brock

Thanks all - am working through the suggestions and things are improving.

Cheers,
Jo

Mrs Beeble Brock wrote:
> Hi guys, I need to take some space from my d drive and add it to my c
> drive - am getting blue screen of death and am assuming this is partly
> related to the fact that I have only 5% of free space on the main c
> drive. Disk Management doesn't have an option that I can see to change
> the volume of partitions - any suggestions on how to do this?
>
> Win 2000, 115 gig hard drive, 512 meg ram.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Jo

Ray Greene

BootIt NG from http://www.bootitng.com/bootitng.html will let you