Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > How can I identify a modem

How can I identify a modem

Royce

Hello

I have an older computer with a pci modem. I need to download and
install the driver for it. But I don't know what modem it is. Is there
any software which will identify the modem for me?

Harry

Royce wrote:

> Hello
>
> I have an older computer with a pci modem. I need to download and
> install the driver for it. But I don't know what modem it is. Is there
> any software which will identify the modem for me?

cat /proc/pci

Oh, so you are running Windows! Why didn't you say so?
Boot up on a Linux cd and do above.

richard

Royce wrote:

> Hello
>
> I have an older computer with a pci modem. I need to download and
> install the driver for it. But I don't know what modem it is. Is there
> any software which will identify the modem for me?

When you boot, you may get a list of numbers just before going into the OS, that
lists all the hardware in the computer.

Put the pairs of 4 digit numbers into google and that will usually give you a
list of hardware vendors and stuff

Athura

"Royce" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hello
>
> I have an older computer with a pci modem. I need to download and
> install the driver for it. But I don't know what modem it is. Is there
> any software which will identify the modem for me?

go to www.pcitree.de and download pcitree and run that, it should tell you.

thing

Royce wrote:
> Hello
>
> I have an older computer with a pci modem. I need to download and
> install the driver for it. But I don't know what modem it is. Is there
> any software which will identify the modem for me?

no fcc numbers on it somewhere?

regards

Thing

steve

Royce wrote:

> Hello
>
> I have an older computer with a pci modem. I need to download and
> install the driver for it. But I don't know what modem it is. Is there
> any software which will identify the modem for me?

If it is not a Winmodem, then you can pick "generic modem" and that should
be good enough....as a real modem has everything it needs right there on
the card.

If it IS a winmodem....then you DO need software drivers to perform the
functions that have been moved from the modem into the operating system.

You could try "Knoppix". It's a version of Linux bootable from a CD and it
has very good device detection and should at least tell you what chipset is
on your modem. That will help you locate the correct drivers.

You can boot a Knoppix CD without altering your existing Windows system in
any way. It's a good, quick way to check unknown hardware.

--
Distributed Computing Projects:
SETI at Home

Dave Taylor

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Royce) wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) om:

> Hello
>
> I have an older computer with a pci modem. I need to download and
> install the driver for it. But I don't know what modem it is. Is there
> any software which will identify the modem for me?

http://www.hwinfo.com/

It fits on a floppy, just sys the floppy and copy the files over to it.

~misfit~

Royce wrote:
> Hello
>
> I have an older computer with a pci modem. I need to download and
> install the driver for it. But I don't know what modem it is. Is there
> any software which will identify the modem for me?

Yep, your brain. (Or is that hardware? Lets just stick with convention and
call it wetware). The main chip will have numbers on it, put the first line
into Google with +driver and you should find a driver no trouble. Works for
me every time. There may even be a sticker on the back of the card with a
manufacturer and a model number, that makes it even easier.
--
~misfit~