Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Cisco 3550 VLAN-Internet routing problem

Cisco 3550 VLAN-Internet routing problem

Merv

Please detail all of the network equipment and their connection from
the 3550 to your Internet connection

2990s <--> 3550 <--> ??

Why are you not using a 172.16.x.x address on the link between the 3550
and the 2800 ?

Merv

post the complete output of "show version" from the 2800

Zaid

the configuration above was just a small test model we used. the
original model consists of (from bottom to top) 27 units 2950 switches,
5 units 3550 switches, 1 unit 4500 core switch, 1 unit pix firewall,
and 1 router 2800 unit.each 8 2950 switches is connected to one 3550
distribution switch. the 3550 switches will all be connected to the
4500 core switch, then the core switch will connect to the PIX and
finally from the PIX to the router. it'll take us several days to start
connecting all the above together. meanwhile we'll start configuring
them step by step.while we begin doing so, i'll update you with all
that you required above if you are interested.

Zaid

the configuration above was just a small test model we used. the
original model consists of (from bottom to top) 27 units 2950 switches,
5 units 3550 switches, 1 unit 4500 core switch, 1 unit pix firewall,
and 1 router 2800 unit.each 8 2950 switches is connected to one 3550
distribution switch. the 3550 switches will all be connected to the
4500 core switch, then the core switch will connect to the PIX and
finally from the PIX to the router. it'll take us several days to start
connecting all the above together. meanwhile we'll start configuring
them step by step.while we begin doing so, i'll update you with all
that you required above if you are interested.

Merv

1. You DEFINITELY will want to use a dynamic routing protocol between
the 4500 core switch and the 3550 distribution switches. Configure
default route on 4500 and distribute to other switches via route
redistribution.

2. It looks like you plan to have one VLAN and one IP subnet per 2950
access switch which is a good idea. You will not have to use
spanning-tree in this type of setup.

What software iamges are you planning to use for each switch tyep 4500,
3350 and 2950 ?