Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > DNS not working - Windows 98

DNS not working - Windows 98

Stephen Williams

Got a computer here been running windows 98 for quite some time.

Removed a few spyware and adware programs from it, now it would seem that
DNS no longer works

Pinging out with actual IP addresses works fine. Trying to ping the name of
a web site always returns "Unknown host". Tried setting up a different dial
up account to another ISP, that produced the same results. There is nothing
strange in the settings anywhere. Both dial up accounts are not set to "log
on to network" and both only have TCP/IP as their specified protocol. Both
accounts pick up their ISPs DNS servers just fine, I am able to ping them.

Have tried removing everything from the network settings, and restarting
then installing only Client For Microsoft Networks, Dial Up Adapter and
TCP/IP. Didn't help. Tried removing Dial Up Networking from the windows
component list, then reinsatlling it and all the network thingies again.
Still not working.

No firewall of any sort is running, no anti-spyware or anti-adware programs
are loaded up, only thing running along those lines is Nortons Antivirus
2003.

Any ideas?

Steve

Tim

When you dial in (if you can), does winipcfg.exe show sensible stuff? IE ISP
assigned IP Address, DNS, Gateway?

If DNS is not working the first parameter to look at would be the default
gateway address (? has to be right anyway) and ISP assigned DNS addresses.

Does IE have anything odd in its tools / options / connection page? If it
does, then you still have spyware. Some spyware will configure a nasty proxy
address in there that absolutely stuffs things.

(OK I see your tried this) You could try: noting your current config /
devices, removing all from Networking, rebooting, adding it back in - this
does sometimes resolve issues with IP.

What spyware removers did you try? Some are spyware. There is some spyware
that is rather difficult to eliminate...

- Tim

"Stephen Williams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:yGS3d.4537$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Got a computer here been running windows 98 for quite some time.
>
> Removed a few spyware and adware programs from it, now it would seem that
> DNS no longer works
>
> Pinging out with actual IP addresses works fine. Trying to ping the name
> of
> a web site always returns "Unknown host". Tried setting up a different
> dial
> up account to another ISP, that produced the same results. There is
> nothing
> strange in the settings anywhere. Both dial up accounts are not set to
> "log
> on to network" and both only have TCP/IP as their specified protocol.
> Both
> accounts pick up their ISPs DNS servers just fine, I am able to ping them.
>
> Have tried removing everything from the network settings, and restarting
> then installing only Client For Microsoft Networks, Dial Up Adapter and
> TCP/IP. Didn't help. Tried removing Dial Up Networking from the windows
> component list, then reinsatlling it and all the network thingies again.
> Still not working.
>
> No firewall of any sort is running, no anti-spyware or anti-adware
> programs
> are loaded up, only thing running along those lines is Nortons Antivirus
> 2003.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Steve

EMB

Stephen Williams wrote:
> Got a computer here been running windows 98 for quite some time.
>
> Removed a few spyware and adware programs from it, now it would seem that
> DNS no longer works

I can't remember what it was (but a google should find it) but there's a
piece of spyware/virus/fscknasty that does just this, and IIRC it's a
registry edit to sort it out. Sorry I can't be more specific but it's
been a while since I had to fix it.

--
EMB
change two to the number to reply

Harry

Tim wrote:

> When you dial in (if you can), does winipcfg.exe show sensible stuff? IE
> ISP assigned IP Address, DNS, Gateway?
>
> If DNS is not working the first parameter to look at would be the default
> gateway address (? has to be right anyway) and ISP assigned DNS addresses.

No, for DNS the first parameter to look for would be whether DNS was enabled
on the interface in question (TCP->nic)
And the second would be the DNS server search order, provided that
the server is on locally connected network and not via gateway.

> Does IE have anything odd in its tools / options / connection page? If it
> does, then you still have spyware. Some spyware will configure a nasty
> proxy address in there that absolutely stuffs things.
>
> (OK I see your tried this) You could try: noting your current config /
> devices, removing all from Networking, rebooting, adding it back in - this
> does sometimes resolve issues with IP.
>
> What spyware removers did you try? Some are spyware. There is some spyware
> that is rather difficult to eliminate...

Stephen Williams

> Any ideas?
>
> Steve

Thanks to all who replied, problem solved.

It was indeed some registry settings to delete

http://www.compu-docs.com/winsock9x.htm

Steve

T-Boy

In article <yGS3d.4537$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
says...
> Got a computer here been running windows 98 for quite some time.
>
> Removed a few spyware and adware programs from it, now it would seem that
> DNS no longer works
>
> Pinging out with actual IP addresses works fine. Trying to ping the name of
> a web site always returns "Unknown host". Tried setting up a different dial
> up account to another ISP, that produced the same results. There is nothing
> strange in the settings anywhere. Both dial up accounts are not set to "log
> on to network" and both only have TCP/IP as their specified protocol. Both
> accounts pick up their ISPs DNS servers just fine, I am able to ping them.
>
> Have tried removing everything from the network settings, and restarting
> then installing only Client For Microsoft Networks, Dial Up Adapter and
> TCP/IP. Didn't help. Tried removing Dial Up Networking from the windows
> component list, then reinsatlling it and all the network thingies again.
> Still not working.
>
> No firewall of any sort is running, no anti-spyware or anti-adware programs
> are loaded up, only thing running along those lines is Nortons Antivirus
> 2003.
>
> Any ideas?

Been there done that - several times - to several 98 PC's. I'd
reinstall the TCP/IP stack (google it, you'll find it, 'specially if you
limit it to 'reinstall TCP/IP stack site:.microsoft.com' (hope it works
for you). Otherwise, as it's only a 98 PC, consider a flatten and nu
install The MS Security Update CD is then a neat step to bring the
98 PC at least reasonably up to date state without having to dl them all
and make yer own CD and willy nilly apply etc (that's the painful way,
short of a highspeed connection and 'Windows Update').

--
Duncan

steve

Stephen Williams wrote:

> Got a computer here been running windows 98 for quite some time.
>
> Removed a few spyware and adware programs from it, now it would seem that
> DNS no longer works

I've had this happen before. It was related to the removal of the Nortel
ExtraNet client......and after it was removed, I was without DNS....though
PING would work fine.

After pulling my hair out, and trying everything, I formatted and
re-installed.

That fixed it.

But short of that, something, somewhere had been damaged or deleted nothiong
short of a wipe/reload would fix it in a TIMELY fashion.

From GO to WHOA, a completely re-install with apps and patches takes about 2
hours.

If you can't fix it in less than that.....start the backup and reload
now.

--
Distributed Computing Projects:
SETI at Home

Invisible

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 21:40:23 +1200, "Stephen Williams" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Got a computer here been running windows 98 for quite some time.
>
>Removed a few spyware and adware programs from it, now it would seem that
>DNS no longer works
>
>Pinging out with actual IP addresses works fine. Trying to ping the name of
>a web site always returns "Unknown host". Tried setting up a different dial
>up account to another ISP, that produced the same results. There is nothing
>strange in the settings anywhere. Both dial up accounts are not set to "log
>on to network" and both only have TCP/IP as their specified protocol. Both
>accounts pick up their ISPs DNS servers just fine, I am able to ping them.

This page may do the trick:

http://www.uq.edu.au/ben/dialin_fixes.html

Graham

My guess is, go to Network settings & reconfigure your DNS settings.
In my experience - as a possible explanation - HijackThis shows up the
DNS setting as a possible nefarious, umm...thingie. If you delete this
particular setting that it lists then networking won't work as your
DNS setting is removed.

Stephen Williams wrote:

> Got a computer here been running windows 98 for quite some time.
>
> Removed a few spyware and adware programs from it, now it would seem that
> DNS no longer works
>
> Pinging out with actual IP addresses works fine. Trying to ping the name of
> a web site always returns "Unknown host". Tried setting up a different dial
> up account to another ISP, that produced the same results. There is nothing
> strange in the settings anywhere. Both dial up accounts are not set to "log
> on to network" and both only have TCP/IP as their specified protocol. Both
> accounts pick up their ISPs DNS servers just fine, I am able to ping them.
>
> Have tried removing everything from the network settings, and restarting
> then installing only Client For Microsoft Networks, Dial Up Adapter and
> TCP/IP. Didn't help. Tried removing Dial Up Networking from the windows
> component list, then reinsatlling it and all the network thingies again.
> Still not working.
>
> No firewall of any sort is running, no anti-spyware or anti-adware programs
> are loaded up, only thing running along those lines is Nortons Antivirus
> 2003.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Steve

-=rjh=-

Stephen Williams wrote:
> Got a computer here been running windows 98 for quite some time.
>
> Removed a few spyware and adware programs from it, now it would seem that
> DNS no longer works
>
> Pinging out with actual IP addresses works fine. Trying to ping the name of
> a web site always returns "Unknown host". Tried setting up a different dial
> up account to another ISP, that produced the same results. There is nothing
> strange in the settings anywhere. Both dial up accounts are not set to "log
> on to network" and both only have TCP/IP as their specified protocol. Both
> accounts pick up their ISPs DNS servers just fine, I am able to ping them.
>
> Have tried removing everything from the network settings, and restarting
> then installing only Client For Microsoft Networks, Dial Up Adapter and
> TCP/IP. Didn't help. Tried removing Dial Up Networking from the windows
> component list, then reinsatlling it and all the network thingies again.
> Still not working.
>
> No firewall of any sort is running, no anti-spyware or anti-adware programs
> are loaded up, only thing running along those lines is Nortons Antivirus
> 2003.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Steve

This has happened as a result of removing some spyware; last time I ran
into this, I had to roll back the system to an earlier restore point
(was running XP).

Try an Adaware addin called LSPfix; that may possibly identify the problem.

cheers