Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > CPU Heat

CPU Heat

..Waylon Smithers..

Which generates more heat: The surface of any modern, working computer chip
or the nuclear blast of a one-megaton bomb a mile away from ground zero?

The answer: They both produce about the same amount of heat about 100
watts per square centimeter.

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/SciTe..._040908-1.html

Hmph.

Kerry

...Waylon Smithers.. wrote:

> Which generates more heat: The surface of any modern, working computer
> chip
> or the nuclear blast of a one-megaton bomb a mile away from ground zero?
>
> The answer: They both produce about the same amount of heat about 100
> watts per square centimeter.

Why are you using watts per centimeter in conjunction with an obsolete term
like mile? Was that just to make the maths more difficult?

Why don't you reproduce the whole calculation so that we can check that
you have the math right?

How much energy does a one-megaton (or is that tonne) bomb release?
And how much is absorb by the ground?
And wouldn't it depend on the height at which the bomb was detonated?

..Waylon Smithers..

> Why are you using watts per centimeter in conjunction with an
> obsolete term like mile? Was that just to make the maths more
> difficult?
> Why don't you reproduce the whole calculation so that we can check
> that you have the math right?
> How much energy does a one-megaton (or is that tonne) bomb release?
> And how much is absorb by the ground?
> And wouldn't it depend on the height at which the bomb was detonated?

It was an interesting article found, with discussions from Intel and
Honeywell Electronic Materials.

Maybe you should point your questions to them ?