Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Why are external vendor exams so expensive?

Why are external vendor exams so expensive?

Waylon Kenning

I've recently become a first year BIT student at WelTec. It's a good
degree, covers A+ in the first year. Now, the first year's fees are
something like $3700 or so. That's pretty cheap for a degree, so I'm
not complaining even though I have $11 to my name, and pay day is like
5 days away. But that's student life. However, if I want to sit the
official A+ exams at a Prometric testing centre, they're $317 an exam,
and two a required for A+, so that's $634! I can't even afford 2
minute noodles let alone $634! Now, these exams are (often) multi
choice exams done over the internet. Why are they so expensive? No
doubt there are feeds in creating the questions, testing their
effectiveness etc..., but $634's a bit rich I think. So far here is
my list of external vendor exams I'd like to sit, and their prices...

A+: $317 x 2 = $634
Network+: $484
CCNA: $240
Citrix CCA: $158 + $80(US) = $320

Giving a grand total of $1678, or nearly half my degree costs for the
first year! I guess the reason why I'm moaning is just because it's
soo hard being a student these days in IT, and I wouldn't even want to
think about what dental students are going through!

Apparently the government wants to build a knowledge economy, however,
they wont do it without IT graduates, which are at the lowest levels
in 15 years (source NZ Herald). I'm contemplating going overseas too
once my degree finishes simply because the government has done
*nothing* to entice or even help me out while studying. No allowance
because my parents ear to much (though they spend it all on their
mortgage). No accommodation supplement for the same reason. All they
gave me is a stupid student loan. No wonder students are bitter and
are leaving for greener (money wise) pastures.
--
Regards,
Waylon Kenning.

1st Year B.I.T. WelTec

Collector-NZ

Waylon Kenning said the following on 19/09/2004 11:10:
> I've recently become a first year BIT student at WelTec. It's a good
> degree, covers A+ in the first year. Now, the first year's fees are
> something like $3700 or so. That's pretty cheap for a degree, so I'm
> not complaining even though I have $11 to my name, and pay day is like
> 5 days away. But that's student life. However, if I want to sit the
> official A+ exams at a Prometric testing centre, they're $317 an exam,
> and two a required for A+, so that's $634! I can't even afford 2
> minute noodles let alone $634! Now, these exams are (often) multi
> choice exams done over the internet. Why are they so expensive? No
> doubt there are feeds in creating the questions, testing their
> effectiveness etc..., but $634's a bit rich I think. So far here is
> my list of external vendor exams I'd like to sit, and their prices...
>
> A+: $317 x 2 = $634
> Network+: $484
> CCNA: $240
> Citrix CCA: $158 + $80(US) = $320
>
> Giving a grand total of $1678, or nearly half my degree costs for the
> first year! I guess the reason why I'm moaning is just because it's
> soo hard being a student these days in IT, and I wouldn't even want to
> think about what dental students are going through!
>
> Apparently the government wants to build a knowledge economy, however,
> they wont do it without IT graduates, which are at the lowest levels
> in 15 years (source NZ Herald). I'm contemplating going overseas too
> once my degree finishes simply because the government has done
> *nothing* to entice or even help me out while studying. No allowance
> because my parents ear to much (though they spend it all on their
> mortgage). No accommodation supplement for the same reason. All they
> gave me is a stupid student loan. No wonder students are bitter and
> are leaving for greener (money wise) pastures.

The cost of Exams in the IT industry is nothing new, they have always
been expensive. (As have courses)

I know the exam centre kicks a fair part of the fee to MS for there
exams and I would suspect the sme for other companies.

Waylon Kenning

It seems like Sun, 19 Sep 2004 11:19:06 +1200 was when Collector-NZ
<(E-Mail Removed)> said Blah blah blah...

>The cost of Exams in the IT industry is nothing new, they have always
>been expensive. (As have courses)

Yeah, my question is why? Financial exclusivity?
--
Regards,
Waylon Kenning.

1st Year B.I.T. WelTec

Barry

Waylon Kenning wrote:

> I've recently become a first year BIT student at WelTec. It's a good
> degree, covers A+ in the first year. Now, the first year's fees are
> something like $3700 or so. That's pretty cheap for a degree, so I'm
> not complaining even though I have $11 to my name, and pay day is like
> 5 days away. But that's student life. However, if I want to sit the
> official A+ exams at a Prometric testing centre, they're $317 an exam,
> and two a required for A+, so that's $634! I can't even afford 2
> minute noodles let alone $634! Now, these exams are (often) multi
> choice exams done over the internet. Why are they so expensive? No
> doubt there are feeds in creating the questions, testing their
> effectiveness etc..., but $634's a bit rich I think. So far here is
> my list of external vendor exams I'd like to sit, and their prices...
>
> A+: $317 x 2 = $634
> Network+: $484
> CCNA: $240
> Citrix CCA: $158 + $80(US) = $320
>
> Giving a grand total of $1678, or nearly half my degree costs for the
> first year! I guess the reason why I'm moaning is just because it's
> soo hard being a student these days in IT, and I wouldn't even want to
> think about what dental students are going through!
>
> Apparently the government wants to build a knowledge economy, however,
> they wont do it without IT graduates, which are at the lowest levels
> in 15 years (source NZ Herald). I'm contemplating going overseas too
> once my degree finishes simply because the government has done
> *nothing* to entice or even help me out while studying. No allowance
> because my parents ear to much (though they spend it all on their
> mortgage). No accommodation supplement for the same reason. All they
> gave me is a stupid student loan. No wonder students are bitter and
> are leaving for greener (money wise) pastures.

When you have graduated $634 == one days work.
Wouldn't that be a good investment?

Matthew Poole

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>Waylon Kenning wrote:

*SNIP*
>When you have graduated $634 == one days work.
>Wouldn't that be a good investment?

Like hell it does. You don't get paid anything like that until you've
got a lot of experience under your belt, unless you're very, very, very
good - In which case you were probably working as a teenager, and never
bothered with tertiary education anyway.

--
Matthew Poole Auckland, New Zealand
"Veni, vidi, velcro...

My real e-mail is mattATp00leDOTnet

Collector-NZ

Waylon Kenning said the following on 19/09/2004 11:42:
> It seems like Sun, 19 Sep 2004 11:19:06 +1200 was when Collector-NZ
> <(E-Mail Removed)> said Blah blah blah...
>

>>The cost of Exams in the IT industry is nothing new, they have always
>>been expensive. (As have courses)

> Yeah, my question is why? Financial exclusivity?

Kick Backs to the company whos name isused as in MS Novelle Cisco etc

JedMeister

and, you may find you spend all this cash, and the technologies change after
you enter the workforce.

"Waylon Kenning" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've recently become a first year BIT student at WelTec. It's a good
> degree, covers A+ in the first year. Now, the first year's fees are
> something like $3700 or so. That's pretty cheap for a degree, so I'm
> not complaining even though I have $11 to my name, and pay day is like
> 5 days away. But that's student life. However, if I want to sit the
> official A+ exams at a Prometric testing centre, they're $317 an exam,
> and two a required for A+, so that's $634! I can't even afford 2
> minute noodles let alone $634! Now, these exams are (often) multi
> choice exams done over the internet. Why are they so expensive? No
> doubt there are feeds in creating the questions, testing their
> effectiveness etc..., but $634's a bit rich I think. So far here is
> my list of external vendor exams I'd like to sit, and their prices...
>
> A+: $317 x 2 = $634
> Network+: $484
> CCNA: $240
> Citrix CCA: $158 + $80(US) = $320
>
> Giving a grand total of $1678, or nearly half my degree costs for the
> first year! I guess the reason why I'm moaning is just because it's
> soo hard being a student these days in IT, and I wouldn't even want to
> think about what dental students are going through!
>
> Apparently the government wants to build a knowledge economy, however,
> they wont do it without IT graduates, which are at the lowest levels
> in 15 years (source NZ Herald). I'm contemplating going overseas too
> once my degree finishes simply because the government has done
> *nothing* to entice or even help me out while studying. No allowance
> because my parents ear to much (though they spend it all on their
> mortgage). No accommodation supplement for the same reason. All they
> gave me is a stupid student loan. No wonder students are bitter and
> are leaving for greener (money wise) pastures.
> --
> Regards,
> Waylon Kenning.
>
> 1st Year B.I.T. WelTec

Kerry

JedMeister wrote:

> and, you may find you spend all this cash, and the technologies change
> after you enter the workforce.

Most training is really about learning to learn.
So that shouldn't be a problem. Just a normal part of the cycle
that everyone has to deal with all of the time.

Collector-NZ

Kerry said the following on 19/09/2004 12:24:
> JedMeister wrote:
>

>>and, you may find you spend all this cash, and the technologies change
>>after you enter the workforce.
>>

> Most training is really about learning to learn.
> So that shouldn't be a problem. Just a normal part of the cycle
> that everyone has to deal with all of the time.

If that is the case why did MS threaten to and IIRC actually cancel the
MS Certifications of people who completed before Win 2K unless they did
Win2k Courses

Kerry

Collector-NZ wrote:

> Kerry said the following on 19/09/2004 12:24:
>> JedMeister wrote:
>>

>>>and, you may find you spend all this cash, and the technologies change
>>>after you enter the workforce.
>>>

>> Most training is really about learning to learn.
>> So that shouldn't be a problem. Just a normal part of the cycle
>> that everyone has to deal with all of the time.
>>

> If that is the case why did MS threaten to and IIRC actually cancel the
> MS Certifications of people who completed before Win 2K unless they did
> Win2k Courses

Oh, I thought the discussion was about IT - not Microsoft.
Does IT equate to a Microsoft certified course these days?
If so, then it should be called an MW course.

A proper IT course would go a bit further than teaching how
to put the latest MS cd in your computer and following the
instructions.