Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > java vm

java vm

Troglodyte

anyone got the link to download the version for red hat. I'm unsure
which to click on when I get to sun.com

There are a couple of sites that I go to that pop up a message saying
that a vm software is needed when Im on red hat 9. or words to that effect.

cheers

AD.

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 10:52:08 +1200, Troglodyte wrote:

> Troglodyte wrote:
>
>> anyone got the link to download the version for red hat. I'm unsure
>> which to click on when I get to sun.com
>>
>> There are a couple of sites that I go to that pop up a message saying
>> that a vm software is needed when Im on red hat 9. or words to that
>> effect.
>>
>> cheers

> Just a follow on. Already have this file RPM in self-extracting file
> (j2re-1_4_2_05-linux-i586-rpm.bin, 13.23 MB) but um, it kinda dont wanna
> install. found an faq telling me what to do put into the new terminal
> window logged in as root but although it extracted, i eh, kinda got stuck
> from there.

That definitely looks like the right file.

What happened after that?

Did it complain about missing dependencies?

Cheers
Anton

Enkidu

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 15:05:12 +1200, "AD." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 10:52:08 +1200, Troglodyte wrote:
>
>> Troglodyte wrote:
>>
>>> anyone got the link to download the version for red hat. I'm unsure
>>> which to click on when I get to sun.com
>>>
>>> There are a couple of sites that I go to that pop up a message saying
>>> that a vm software is needed when Im on red hat 9. or words to that
>>> effect.
>>>
>>> cheers

>> Just a follow on. Already have this file RPM in self-extracting file
>> (j2re-1_4_2_05-linux-i586-rpm.bin, 13.23 MB) but um, it kinda dont wanna
>> install. found an faq telling me what to do put into the new terminal
>> window logged in as root but although it extracted, i eh, kinda got stuck
>> from there.

>That definitely looks like the right file.
>
>What happened after that?
>
>Did it complain about missing dependencies?

Hmm, I'd guess that installing the RPM unpacks the bin file? If so he
has to run the bin, I'd guess.

Cheers,

Cliff

AD.

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 19:02:06 +1200, Enkidu wrote:

>>> Just a follow on. Already have this file RPM in self-extracting file
>>> (j2re-1_4_2_05-linux-i586-rpm.bin, 13.23 MB) but um, it kinda dont
>>> wanna install. found an faq telling me what to do put into the new
>>> terminal window logged in as root but although it extracted, i eh,
>>> kinda got stuck from there.

>>That definitely looks like the right file.
>>
>>What happened after that?
>>
>>Did it complain about missing dependencies?
>>

> Hmm, I'd guess that installing the RPM unpacks the bin file? If so he has
> to run the bin, I'd guess.

Ahh that rings a bell - so Sun could show you a license agreement or
something. The last time I used java on RedHat was quite a while back.

I typically just download and install the tarred bin file for use on
Debian.

Cheers
Anton

Enkidu

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 19:40:51 +1200, "AD." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>>That definitely looks like the right file.
>>>
>>>What happened after that?
>>>
>>>Did it complain about missing dependencies?
>>>

>> Hmm, I'd guess that installing the RPM unpacks the bin file? If so he has
>> to run the bin, I'd guess.

>Ahh that rings a bell - so Sun could show you a license agreement or
>something. The last time I used java on RedHat was quite a while back.
>
>I typically just download and install the tarred bin file for use on
>Debian.

Ditto! It's the same for every OS, I think, basically. I didn't
realise that it was because of the license agreement.

Cheers,

Cliff