Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Advice needed on web database publishing software

Advice needed on web database publishing software

kirkzeusNOSPAM@hotmail.com

Hi all

I have a very simple requirement. I want to be able to type into
Microsoft Excel some rows of items, such as: description; time; date,
and then insert this data into an already formatted html page, and
then FTP this page to a web site. The reason for using Excel is that
the person who will be maintaining the data only understands Excel and
just wants to send and update this data web page to her site.

Any suggestions on software that will insert this data into a
pre-formatted web page, preferably shareware/freeware?

Many thanks
--
To reply, take NOSPAM out of my email address.

Patrick Dunford

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> in nz.comp on
Sat, 18 Sep 2004 07:56:34 +1200, <(E-Mail Removed)> says...
> Hi all
>
> I have a very simple requirement. I want to be able to type into
> Microsoft Excel some rows of items, such as: description; time; date,
> and then insert this data into an already formatted html page, and
> then FTP this page to a web site. The reason for using Excel is that
> the person who will be maintaining the data only understands Excel and
> just wants to send and update this data web page to her site.
>
> Any suggestions on software that will insert this data into a
> pre-formatted web page, preferably shareware/freeware?

What type of data is the web site displaying?

If you can capture the data into a database of sorts you can use MySql or
Postgresql on your web server, updating it via ODBC from a PC. Such a
solution is probably overkill for the task you have at hand, though.

Teach them to use MS Word and then use that to save the web page.

Barry

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I have a very simple requirement. I want to be able to type into
> Microsoft Excel some rows of items, such as: description; time; date,
> and then insert this data into an already formatted html page, and
> then FTP this page to a web site. The reason for using Excel is that
> the person who will be maintaining the data only understands Excel and
> just wants to send and update this data web page to her site.
>
> Any suggestions on software that will insert this data into a
> pre-formatted web page, preferably shareware/freeware?

If it is a small amount of data why not just plain text?
Even Excel understands comma-separated-volumns, or tab delineated columns.

But why not just edit the page with an html-editor and upload the result?

Bok

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I have a very simple requirement. I want to be able to type into
> Microsoft Excel some rows of items, such as: description; time; date,
> and then insert this data into an already formatted html page, and
> then FTP this page to a web site. The reason for using Excel is that
> the person who will be maintaining the data only understands Excel and
> just wants to send and update this data web page to her site.
>
> Any suggestions on software that will insert this data into a
> pre-formatted web page, preferably shareware/freeware?

You could try something like this:
http://www.puremis.net/excel/downloads.shtml

I've not tried it myself so I can't vouch for it.
Google is your friend

NOSPAM@NOSPAM.invalid.com

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 07:56:34 +1200, kirkzeusNOSPAM wrote:

> Any suggestions on software that will insert this data into a
> pre-formatted web page, preferably shareware/freeware?

Micro$oft Word?

Divine

--
"Even the most fanatical Microsoft supporter has to see that Longhorn has
become Shorthorn."

Waylon Kenning

It seems like Sat, 18 Sep 2004 07:56:34 +1200 was when
(E-Mail Removed) said Blah blah blah...

>Hi all
>
>I have a very simple requirement. I want to be able to type into
>Microsoft Excel some rows of items, such as: description; time; date,
>and then insert this data into an already formatted html page, and
>then FTP this page to a web site. The reason for using Excel is that
>the person who will be maintaining the data only understands Excel and
>just wants to send and update this data web page to her site.
>
>Any suggestions on software that will insert this data into a
>pre-formatted web page, preferably shareware/freeware?

I know this sounds back to front, but is it possible to format the
excel page to look like the pre-formatted web page, if it's a simple
page? If not, you could always use the <iframe> tag to embed
(roughly) the excel webpage (File > Save as webpage) into the
pre-formatted webpage. Those seem like the simplest solutions. Or you
could export the excel document as a .csv to a file location where say
php could access it, then format it into a webpage, but that's long
winded and complex (relatively).
--
Regards,
Waylon Kenning.

1st Year B.I.T. WelTec

AD.

"Barry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> If it is a small amount of data why not just plain text?
> Even Excel understands comma-separated-volumns, or tab delineated columns.
>
> But why not just edit the page with an html-editor and upload the result?

I suppose you could upload a csv file that could then get read (and cached
preferably) then processed by a php page.

Cheers
Anton

Kerry

AD. wrote:

> "Barry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>> If it is a small amount of data why not just plain text?
>> Even Excel understands comma-separated-volumns, or tab delineated
>> columns.
>>
>> But why not just edit the page with an html-editor and upload the result?

> I suppose you could upload a csv file that could then get read (and cached
> preferably) then processed by a php page.

Of course. Conforms to kiss principle.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Barry <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Even Excel understands comma-separated-volumns, or tab delineated columns.

Well, kind of. Though it insists on recognizing things that look like
numbers and dates, and losing leading zeroes from them, that kind of
thing.

Another format that's relatively easy to generate is SYLK. It lets you
force Excel to accept the data in the format you specify.