Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Orcon's news server

Orcon's news server

Brendan

Orcon's news server (at newsfeeds.com) is again appending an advert to
posts orcon users send through it.

Is it just me or is Orcon really getting slack these days ? Or is it
newsfeeds.com who need some suing ?

--

.... Brendan

"In My Egotistical Opinion, most people's C programs should be indented six feet downward and covered with dirt." -- Blair P. Houghton

Note: All my comments are copyright 17/09/2004 1:03:15 a.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

EMB

Brendan wrote:
> Orcon's news server (at newsfeeds.com) is again appending an advert to
> posts orcon users send through it.
>
> Is it just me or is Orcon really getting slack these days ? Or is it
> newsfeeds.com who need some suing ?

*FAAAAARK* With ihug ripping their customers off blind for UBS I was
going to move to Orcon, but it sounds like they're so technically inept
that they can't even organise a newsfeed that works properly. Phone up
Orcon and express your displeasure directly to someone senior like Seeby
- he's bloody good at actually answering the phone and seeing that
action gets taken.

--
EMB
change two to the number to reply

Worm

"Brendan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Orcon's news server (at newsfeeds.com) is again appending an advert to
> posts orcon users send through it.
>
> Is it just me or is Orcon really getting slack these days ? Or is it
> newsfeeds.com who need some suing ?

I've just had to reset my newsgroup account...I was wondering why nz.comp
had gone so quiet...

The shoddy newsfeed isn't what gets me...my shoddy connections are! Ugh.
Can you access Orcon's mail servers from a different ISP?

Worm

Collector-NZ

Worm said the following on 17/09/2004 11:01:
> "Brendan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Orcon's news server (at newsfeeds.com) is again appending an advert to
>>posts orcon users send through it.
>>
>>Is it just me or is Orcon really getting slack these days ? Or is it
>>newsfeeds.com who need some suing ?

> I've just had to reset my newsgroup account...I was wondering why nz.comp
> had gone so quiet...
>
> The shoddy newsfeed isn't what gets me...my shoddy connections are! Ugh.
> Can you access Orcon's mail servers from a different ISP?

Yep, POP3 from anywhere

~misfit~

Worm wrote:
> "Brendan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> Orcon's news server (at newsfeeds.com) is again appending an advert
>> to posts orcon users send through it.
>>
>> Is it just me or is Orcon really getting slack these days ? Or is it
>> newsfeeds.com who need some suing ?

> I've just had to reset my newsgroup account...I was wondering why
> nz.comp had gone so quiet...
>
> The shoddy newsfeed isn't what gets me...my shoddy connections are!
> Ugh. Can you access Orcon's mail servers from a different ISP?

I dunno, is it news.orcon.net.nz? I'll try via xtra.

Nah, at least not for me. You need to supply username and password and the
ones from my free orcon email account don't get me on. Maybe with a paid-for
username and password?
--
~misfit~
--

Collector-NZ

~misfit~ said the following on 17/09/2004 12:32:

> Worm wrote:
>
>>"Brendan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>>Orcon's news server (at newsfeeds.com) is again appending an advert
>>>to posts orcon users send through it.
>>>
>>>Is it just me or is Orcon really getting slack these days ? Or is it
>>>newsfeeds.com who need some suing ?

>>I've just had to reset my newsgroup account...I was wondering why
>>nz.comp had gone so quiet...
>>
>>The shoddy newsfeed isn't what gets me...my shoddy connections are!
>>Ugh. Can you access Orcon's mail servers from a different ISP?

> I dunno, is it news.orcon.net.nz? I'll try via xtra.
>
> Nah, at least not for me. You need to supply username and password and the
> ones from my free orcon email account don't get me on. Maybe with a paid-for
> username and password?
> --
> ~misfit~
> --
> ~misfit~

Wasnt he asking about mail (POP3) not news (NNTP)

bAZZ

In article <Eeq2d.3368$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Worm wrote:
> > "Brendan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >>
> >> Orcon's news server (at newsfeeds.com) is again appending an advert
> >> to posts orcon users send through it.
> >>
> >> Is it just me or is Orcon really getting slack these days ? Or is it
> >> newsfeeds.com who need some suing ?

> > I've just had to reset my newsgroup account...I was wondering why
> > nz.comp had gone so quiet...
> >
> > The shoddy newsfeed isn't what gets me...my shoddy connections are!
> > Ugh. Can you access Orcon's mail servers from a different ISP?

> I dunno, is it news.orcon.net.nz? I'll try via xtra.
>
> Nah, at least not for me. You need to supply username and password and the
> ones from my free orcon email account don't get me on. Maybe with a paid-for
> username and password?
> --
> ~misfit~
> --
> ~misfit~

You sure misfit ? I'm with orcon and don't. And I was with another ISP
who have no news service and they said to use orcons and again I didn't
need user/pass.

That said the service is **** lately. Just had to reset again as it
borked all the number count yesterday so am now getting all headers
again to sort through. Will reply to your ssri one when I get to
nz.wanted.

bAZZ

~misfit~

bAZZ wrote:
> In article <Eeq2d.3368$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>> Worm wrote:
>>> "Brendan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> I've just had to reset my newsgroup account...I was wondering why
>>> nz.comp had gone so quiet...
>>>
>>> The shoddy newsfeed isn't what gets me...my shoddy connections are!
>>> Ugh. Can you access Orcon's mail servers from a different ISP?

>> I dunno, is it news.orcon.net.nz? I'll try via xtra.
>>
>> Nah, at least not for me. You need to supply username and password
>> and the ones from my free orcon email account don't get me on. Maybe
>> with a paid-for username and password?
>> --
>> ~misfit~
>> --
>> ~misfit~
>>

> You sure misfit ? I'm with orcon and don't. And I was with another ISP
> who have no news service and they said to use orcons and again I
> didn't need user/pass.

Well, I just treid using news.orcon.net.nz and I was asked for username and
password, tried the ones from my free acount and was refused.

> That said the service is **** lately. Just had to reset again as it
> borked all the number count yesterday so am now getting all headers
> again to sort through. Will reply to your ssri one when I get to
> nz.wanted.

Cool, take care.
--
~misfit~

~misfit~

Collector-NZ wrote:
> ~misfit~ said the following on 17/09/2004 12:32:
>
>> Worm wrote:
>>
>>> "Brendan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> I've just had to reset my newsgroup account...I was wondering why
>>> nz.comp had gone so quiet...
>>>
>>> The shoddy newsfeed isn't what gets me...my shoddy connections are!
>>> Ugh. Can you access Orcon's mail servers from a different ISP?

>> I dunno, is it news.orcon.net.nz? I'll try via xtra.
>>
>> Nah, at least not for me. You need to supply username and password
>> and the ones from my free orcon email account don't get me on. Maybe
>> with a paid-for username and password?
>> --
>> ~misfit~
>> --
>> ~misfit~
>>

> Wasnt he asking about mail (POP3) not news (NNTP)

Ok, my bad. I can access orcon's pop3 through xtra but not orcon's smtp.
--
~misfit~

The Other Guy

~misfit~ wrote:
> Well, I just treid using news.orcon.net.nz and I was asked for username and
> password, tried the ones from my free acount and was refused.

The news server (corp.newsfeeds.com) allows access to Orcon customers by
IP address. The only user/pass combinations the server will accept are
those of newsfeeds.com subscribers who have an account with them, it
will not accept your Orcon login.

The Other Guy