Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Free ADSL modem with Xtra

Free ADSL modem with Xtra

Rick

Just received a letter saying that if I sign up to xtra, that I will get a
free ADSL modem.
The conditions are that I have to sign up for at least 6 months. The one
thing that does concern me, is that if I want to stop using the service, I
have to pay a $100 disconnection fee. From the letter it looks like this fee
applies, even after using the service for 6 months.
Is this $100 disconnection fee normal if I just sign up for jetstream
normally without getting the free modem? I am planning to move in the next
year, so it looks as though I will need to pay a disconnection fee, and then
a new signup fee, which sounds like a rip off.
Another thing that does concern me, as that xtra have a flat rate plan, but
underneath it in the letter , it says excess usage fees apply. How can
something be 'flat rate', and then have additional fees. It is possible that
these letters are just very badly written.

Mr Bond

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 15:24:01 +1200, "Rick" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Just received a letter saying that if I sign up to xtra, that I will get a
>free ADSL modem.
>The conditions are that I have to sign up for at least 6 months. The one
>thing that does concern me, is that if I want to stop using the service, I
>have to pay a $100 disconnection fee. From the letter it looks like this fee
>applies, even after using the service for 6 months.
>Is this $100 disconnection fee normal if I just sign up for jetstream
>normally without getting the free modem? I am planning to move in the next
>year, so it looks as though I will need to pay a disconnection fee, and then
>a new signup fee, which sounds like a rip off.
>Another thing that does concern me, as that xtra have a flat rate plan, but
>underneath it in the letter , it says excess usage fees apply. How can
>something be 'flat rate', and then have additional fees. It is possible that
>these letters are just very badly written.

Bluntly, I'd just stay away from Xtra altogether (ignore my headers if
it shows I'm on Xtra jetstream, work connection). There are better
alternatives out there less likely to try and trap their users with
special conditions. Orcon or Paradise for example.

Without looking at it you can guaruntee the free modem won't be worth
the $100 disconnection fee.

My 2 cents...

K T T

Rick wrote:

> Just received a letter saying that if I sign up to xtra, that I will get a
> free ADSL modem.
> The conditions are that I have to sign up for at least 6 months. The one
> thing that does concern me, is that if I want to stop using the service, I
> have to pay a $100 disconnection fee. From the letter it looks like this fee
> applies, even after using the service for 6 months.
> Is this $100 disconnection fee normal if I just sign up for jetstream
> normally without getting the free modem? I am planning to move in the next
> year, so it looks as though I will need to pay a disconnection fee, and then
> a new signup fee, which sounds like a rip off.
> Another thing that does concern me, as that xtra have a flat rate plan, but
> underneath it in the letter , it says excess usage fees apply. How can
> something be 'flat rate', and then have additional fees. It is possible that
> these letters are just very badly written.

There aint no such thing as a "free" lunch.