Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Limited lifespan MP3

Limited lifespan MP3

Damos

I curious as to opinions.

MP3 and various compacting protocols were designed I imagine to make
music/audio files smaller for ease of storage and transmission.

With ever increasing transfer speeds (internet, usb2 etc) and every
more space of storage medium, will these compacting protocols become
relics of a particular time where costs of storage and file transfer
created a need?

Why compact when I can contain all my audio DVD in my watch sized ipod
6th generation.

Damos

"It's a foreboding I have - maybe ill placed - of my children's generation
or my grandchildren's generation ... when clutching our horoscopes, our
critical faculties in steep decline, unable to distinguish between what
right and what feels good, we slide, almost without noticing, into
superstition and darkness."

Carl Sagan.

Richard

Damos wrote:

> Why compact when I can contain all my audio DVD in my watch sized ipod
> 6th generation.

Why rip and compress when all my audio CDs will fit on a desktop PC.

If something like itunes would be able to re-encode my flacs to lame encoded
MP3s when uploading to the ipod they may serve some use.

Andrew Bryson

"Damos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I curious as to opinions.
>
> MP3 and various compacting protocols were designed I imagine to make
> music/audio files smaller for ease of storage and transmission.
>
> With ever increasing transfer speeds (internet, usb2 etc) and every
> more space of storage medium, will these compacting protocols become
> relics of a particular time where costs of storage and file transfer
> created a need?
>
> Why compact when I can contain all my audio DVD in my watch sized ipod
> 6th generation.

There are many reasons. For a simple answer, you could liken it (in a sense)
to using environmentally friendly products instead of non-friendly ones.

Or you could reason out something like this:

At the moment storage media are becoming bigger because there is still a use
for the extra space. Eventually we will get to the point where noone (except
maybe people using finite-element software) will need more space, and then
the drive to produce bigger and better things will drop off. The same is
true of computer hardware in general - at present there are still many
features that could be implemented that would be used by a lot of people.
Eventually we will get to the point where there are few (useful) new
features that can be added if sufficient processor power/graphics
performance/ram/storage/whatever else is available. When that happens there
will be a very limited market for more powerful systems.

One can easily deduce from this that if one can buy a pc that can store all
the video etc that one is ever likely to need then there would be little
reason to buy a bigger storage medium. Which would mean that there would be
little reason for them to be produced. Which would mean that those that were
produced would eventually become very expensive. At the moment we are
nowhere near this limit . But I would speculate that since uncompressed
video requires enormously more space than compressed video and uncompressed
audio requires maybe 10x as much space as compressed audio we would run into
the financial limitations long before systems capable of storing that much
uncompressed data are produced.

Andrew Bryson
http://www.bryson.co.nz

Genius

Damos wrote:

> I curious as to opinions.
>
> MP3 and various compacting protocols were designed I imagine to make
> music/audio files smaller for ease of storage and transmission.
>
> With ever increasing transfer speeds (internet, usb2 etc) and every
> more space of storage medium, will these compacting protocols become
> relics of a particular time where costs of storage and file transfer
> created a need?

yes. but not today, or tomorrow. give it another 20 years.

> Why compact when I can contain all my audio DVD in my watch sized ipod
> 6th generation.

Herb Garden

Richard wrote:
> Damos wrote:
>
>> Why compact when I can contain all my audio DVD in my watch sized
>> ipod 6th generation.

> Why rip and compress when all my audio CDs will fit on a desktop PC.
>
> If something like itunes would be able to re-encode my flacs to lame
> encoded MP3s when uploading to the ipod they may serve some use.

Why rip and compress ?
You ripped and compressed your CDs to make them into flac format files

Herb Garden

Damos wrote:
> I curious as to opinions.
>
> MP3 and various compacting protocols were designed I imagine to make
> music/audio files smaller for ease of storage and transmission.
>
> With ever increasing transfer speeds (internet, usb2 etc) and every
> more space of storage medium, will these compacting protocols become
> relics of a particular time where costs of storage and file transfer
> created a need?
>
> Why compact when I can contain all my audio DVD in my watch sized ipod
> 6th generation.

So you can put more on it in even less space.
You have a choice of lossy or lossless compression and of lower or higher
cpu power required for encoding and decoding.
DVD and CD are already lossy compressed files of the original information
but can be further compressed losslessly by various techniques.
It depends on whether cpu processing power is cheaper than file space.
Its ironic that as the quality of audio formats has increased the quality of
the transducers that the average punter uses to listen to them has declined.
Most seem to listen on some Aiwa atrocity powered by one ic with a glowing
spectrum analyzer display.
Most ipod users would be astounded at the quality that can be achieved with
custom earmold balanced transducers as used by professional performers. Hifi
has declined to where the gearnut shops have really boring little $5000 per
pair 2 way towers with a bunch of paid for reviews by snob classical column
writers and home theatre is a bunch of 2 inch computer speakers and some
boomy little midrange "sub" that only sounds like sub because the rest of
the speakers sound so bad.
/rant

Genius

Herb Garden wrote:

> Damos wrote:
>> I curious as to opinions.
>>
>> MP3 and various compacting protocols were designed I imagine to make
>> music/audio files smaller for ease of storage and transmission.
>>
>> With ever increasing transfer speeds (internet, usb2 etc) and every
>> more space of storage medium, will these compacting protocols become
>> relics of a particular time where costs of storage and file transfer
>> created a need?
>>
>> Why compact when I can contain all my audio DVD in my watch sized ipod
>> 6th generation.
>>

> So you can put more on it in even less space.
> You have a choice of lossy or lossless compression and of lower or higher
> cpu power required for encoding and decoding.
> DVD and CD are already lossy compressed files of the original information
> but can be further compressed losslessly by various techniques.

what techniques are those?

> It depends on whether cpu processing power is cheaper than file space.
> Its ironic that as the quality of audio formats has increased the quality
> of the transducers that the average punter uses to listen to them has
> declined. Most seem to listen on some Aiwa atrocity powered by one ic with
> a glowing spectrum analyzer display.
> Most ipod users would be astounded at the quality that can be achieved
> with custom earmold balanced transducers as used by professional
> performers. Hifi has declined to where the gearnut shops have really
> boring little $5000 per pair 2 way towers with a bunch of paid for reviews
> by snob classical column writers and home theatre is a bunch of 2 inch
> computer speakers and some boomy little midrange "sub" that only sounds
> like sub because the rest of the speakers sound so bad.
> /rant

Herb Garden

Genius wrote:
> Herb Garden wrote:
>
>> Damos wrote:
>>> I curious as to opinions.
>>>
>>> MP3 and various compacting protocols were designed I imagine to make
>>> music/audio files smaller for ease of storage and transmission.
>>>
>>> With ever increasing transfer speeds (internet, usb2 etc) and every
>>> more space of storage medium, will these compacting protocols become
>>> relics of a particular time where costs of storage and file transfer
>>> created a need?
>>>
>>> Why compact when I can contain all my audio DVD in my watch sized
>>> ipod 6th generation.
>>>

>> So you can put more on it in even less space.
>> You have a choice of lossy or lossless compression and of lower or
>> higher cpu power required for encoding and decoding.
>> DVD and CD are already lossy compressed files of the original
>> information but can be further compressed losslessly by various
>> techniques.

> what techniques are those?

correlation, predictive encoding, increased encoding efficiency
look up lossless compression, flac, mpeg4
You are the abusive Harry/Jay as easily spotted as Woger so I will killfile
you now.
<plonk>

Genius

Herb Garden wrote:

> Genius wrote:
>> Herb Garden wrote:

>>> So you can put more on it in even less space.
>>> You have a choice of lossy or lossless compression and of lower or
>>> higher cpu power required for encoding and decoding.
>>> DVD and CD are already lossy compressed files of the original
>>> information but can be further compressed losslessly by various
>>> techniques.

>> what techniques are those?
>>

> correlation, predictive encoding, increased encoding efficiency
> look up lossless compression, flac, mpeg4

thanks

> You are the abusive Harry/Jay as easily spotted as Woger so I will
> killfile you now.
> <plonk>

oh right, i must be woger or whatever.
that explains everything.