Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Samsung CDRW / DVDrom drives

Samsung CDRW / DVDrom drives

Patrick Dunford

Anyone want to venture an opinion on these?

The one in the machine I'm working on doesn't seem to have the ability to
erase or rewrite CDRW discs, which is about on a par with various kinds
of cheap junk you can buy these days.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Patrick Dunford wrote:
> Anyone want to venture an opinion on these?
> The one in the machine I'm working on doesn't seem to have the ability to
> erase or rewrite CDRW discs, which is about on a par with various kinds
> of cheap junk you can buy these days.

eh?! weird... I'd have thought it was a software limitation... what
software are you using?

I have had a DVD drive in the past that stopped reading dvds... it's
still fine for CDs so I still use it.

I have a CDRW that is fine, and has been for ~4 years now.

--
Dave Hall
http://www.dave.net.nz

Karen Parker

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 00:53:08 +1200, Patrick Dunford
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Anyone want to venture an opinion on these?
>
>The one in the machine I'm working on doesn't seem to have the ability to
>erase or rewrite CDRW discs, which is about on a par with various kinds
>of cheap junk you can buy these days.

Yes they have my CRAP mark..

Invisible

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 10:43:41 +1200, Karen Parker <(E-Mail Removed)
wrote:

>On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 00:53:08 +1200, Patrick Dunford
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Anyone want to venture an opinion on these?
>>
>>The one in the machine I'm working on doesn't seem to have the ability to
>>erase or rewrite CDRW discs, which is about on a par with various kinds
>>of cheap junk you can buy these days.

>Yes they have my CRAP mark..

Almost everything does.

~misfit~

Patrick Dunford wrote:
> Anyone want to venture an opinion on these?
>
> The one in the machine I'm working on doesn't seem to have the
> ability to erase or rewrite CDRW discs, which is about on a par with
> various kinds of cheap junk you can buy these days.

As discussed extensively in a thread here a couple of months back, I had one
of these (Combo CD-write/DVD-read) that played up, refused to read/write CDs
at all although it still read DVDs. I got a replacement under warranty that
did exactly the same thing. I took that back and got the retailer to swap it
for a Lite-on. The Lite-on is working perfectly.
--
~misfit~

Jackson

"Karen Parker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 00:53:08 +1200, Patrick Dunford
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Anyone want to venture an opinion on these?
> >
> >The one in the machine I'm working on doesn't seem to have the ability to
> >erase or rewrite CDRW discs, which is about on a par with various kinds
> >of cheap junk you can buy these days.

> Yes they have my CRAP mark..

like yourself really. You have our CRAP mark you old ****.

Karen Parker

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 12:59:41 +1200, "Jackson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Karen Parker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 00:53:08 +1200, Patrick Dunford
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> >Anyone want to venture an opinion on these?
>> >
>> >The one in the machine I'm working on doesn't seem to have the ability to
>> >erase or rewrite CDRW discs, which is about on a par with various kinds
>> >of cheap junk you can buy these days.

>> Yes they have my CRAP mark..

>like yourself really. You have our CRAP mark you old ****.

**** is a Pregnant Fish, I do not think I look like a Fish..

Patrick Dunford

In article <jC51d.1811$(E-Mail Removed)> in nz.comp on Mon, 13
Sep 2004 12:14:38 +1200, ~misfit~ <(E-Mail Removed)> says...
> Patrick Dunford wrote:
> > Anyone want to venture an opinion on these?
> >
> > The one in the machine I'm working on doesn't seem to have the
> > ability to erase or rewrite CDRW discs, which is about on a par with
> > various kinds of cheap junk you can buy these days.

> As discussed extensively in a thread here a couple of months back, I had one
> of these (Combo CD-write/DVD-read) that played up, refused to read/write CDs
> at all although it still read DVDs. I got a replacement under warranty that
> did exactly the same thing. I took that back and got the retailer to swap it
> for a Lite-on. The Lite-on is working perfectly.

I checked and it's a SM352B, is that the model you had?

~misfit~

Patrick Dunford wrote:
> In article <jC51d.1811$(E-Mail Removed)> in nz.comp on Mon,
> 13 Sep 2004 12:14:38 +1200, ~misfit~ <(E-Mail Removed)> says...
>> Patrick Dunford wrote:
>>> Anyone want to venture an opinion on these?
>>>
>>> The one in the machine I'm working on doesn't seem to have the
>>> ability to erase or rewrite CDRW discs, which is about on a par with
>>> various kinds of cheap junk you can buy these days.

>> As discussed extensively in a thread here a couple of months back, I
>> had one of these (Combo CD-write/DVD-read) that played up, refused
>> to read/write CDs at all although it still read DVDs. I got a
>> replacement under warranty that did exactly the same thing. I took
>> that back and got the retailer to swap it for a Lite-on. The Lite-on
>> is working perfectly.

> I checked and it's a SM352B, is that the model you had?

Sorry, I don't know now. I took it back in the original box with the sofware
etc. and I've just been through the filing cabinet but that didn't help. The
day I bought it I originaly wanted a Lite-on and that's what's printed on
their receipt (They were out of stock) with a line through it and their
catalogue number for the Samsung written there instead. No model number

I think, from memory, it was a 52x24x52x16 speed if that's any help. From my
experience with that, and a little I found on the web/usenet archives about
them I'd never buy a Samsung optical drive again, or at least unless they
develop a reputation as being great over a few years. I also bought a
Samsung Spinrite 80GB HDD for my girlfriend before we had problems with the
optical drive. I hope that lasts better, although I've read a lot of good
reviews of their HDDs so fingers crossed.

Wohoo!!! I just tried something, I opened Google's page and put an "S" in
the box and autocomplete gave me "Samsung SM-352 failure" so yep, same
model. Get rid of it quick, they're shite.
--
~misfit~

Patrick Dunford

In article <mK42d.2931$(E-Mail Removed)> in nz.comp on Thu, 16
Sep 2004 12:04:04 +1200, ~misfit~ <(E-Mail Removed)> says...
> Patrick Dunford wrote:
> > In article <jC51d.1811$(E-Mail Removed)> in nz.comp on Mon,
> > 13 Sep 2004 12:14:38 +1200, ~misfit~ <(E-Mail Removed)> says...

> >> As discussed extensively in a thread here a couple of months back, I
> >> had one of these (Combo CD-write/DVD-read) that played up, refused
> >> to read/write CDs at all although it still read DVDs. I got a
> >> replacement under warranty that did exactly the same thing. I took
> >> that back and got the retailer to swap it for a Lite-on. The Lite-on
> >> is working perfectly.

> > I checked and it's a SM352B, is that the model you had?

> Sorry, I don't know now. I took it back in the original box with the sofware
> etc. and I've just been through the filing cabinet but that didn't help. The
> day I bought it I originaly wanted a Lite-on and that's what's printed on
> their receipt (They were out of stock) with a line through it and their
> catalogue number for the Samsung written there instead. No model number
>
> I think, from memory, it was a 52x24x52x16 speed if that's any help. From my
> experience with that, and a little I found on the web/usenet archives about
> them I'd never buy a Samsung optical drive again, or at least unless they
> develop a reputation as being great over a few years. I also bought a
> Samsung Spinrite 80GB HDD for my girlfriend before we had problems with the
> optical drive. I hope that lasts better, although I've read a lot of good
> reviews of their HDDs so fingers crossed.
>
> Wohoo!!! I just tried something, I opened Google's page and put an "S" in
> the box and autocomplete gave me "Samsung SM-352 failure" so yep, same
> model. Get rid of it quick, they're shite.

It will only burn a Datalife Plus 48x blank at 8x and a Datalife Plus 32x
CDRW at 4x. Although it now seems the CDRW disk might be faulty.

It claims to be able to burn at 52x, so something funny is going on
there.