Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > SETI BOINC

SETI BOINC

El Penguino

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 23:27:55 +1200, "~misfit~"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Just a welcome to ZZzzz and Willie, I see you're both showing up on the
>board for nz.comp. Good to have you aboard.

More the merrier indeed .

misfit , do you have an URL to the stats ? I couldn't find a link in
my browsing , and I recall something along the lines of seti
themselves not having the best stats anyways.

Ta.

steve

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

> ~misfit~ wrote:
>>>You mnean your power bills aren't over $200 even in the middle of
>>>summer?

>> LOL, about $160/month summer and winter.

> man, you guys use lots.
> in summer me and the mrs use ~$80 and in winter ~$120 and thats with the
> Pc running 24/7 all year round.
>
> Maybe we just arent home much.

Our power bill have regularly peaked at $500 in mid-winter. My eldest
daughter just won't turn the damn heater off.

This year, we're in a 140 yo villa with very high ceilings - lovely old
place - but hell to heat.

We had one $580 power bill....and I went out and got $100 worth of firewood
and stuck all the electric heaters heaters in the garage. The next power
bill was $230.....MUCH BETTER!

My kids have 30 minutes showers.....girls and long hair....VERY expensive
that hair is.

El Penguino

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 22:47:58 +1200, El Penguino
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>misfit , do you have an URL to the stats ? I couldn't find a link in
>my browsing , and I recall something along the lines of seti
>themselves not having the best stats anyways.

http://www.setisynergy.com/stats/cou...show=1&sort=TC

Found it in an old post .

I'm 9787th in the world , woohoo !

~misfit~

steve wrote:
> Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

>>> LOL, about $160/month summer and winter.

>> man, you guys use lots.
>> in summer me and the mrs use ~$80 and in winter ~$120 and thats with
>> the Pc running 24/7 all year round.
>>
>> Maybe we just arent home much.

> Our power bill have regularly peaked at $500 in mid-winter. My eldest
> daughter just won't turn the damn heater off.

Ouch! That's one hell of a bill.

> This year, we're in a 140 yo villa with very high ceilings - lovely
> old place - but hell to heat.
>
> We had one $580 power bill....and I went out and got $100 worth of
> firewood and stuck all the electric heaters heaters in the garage.
> The next power bill was $230.....MUCH BETTER!
>
> My kids have 30 minutes showers.....girls and long hair....VERY
> expensive that hair is.

LOL, I hear ya. I was just having a conversation about the amount of time
spent in showers with my girlfriend this evening.

BTW, better watch out, Paddy and Stumpy might come over here and start
glowering at us. Pretend we're talking about linux. <g>.
--
~misfit~

~misfit~

El Penguino wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 23:27:55 +1200, "~misfit~"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Just a welcome to ZZzzz and Willie, I see you're both showing up on
>> the board for nz.comp. Good to have you aboard.

> More the merrier indeed .

Gotta agree.

> misfit , do you have an URL to the stats ? I couldn't find a link in
> my browsing , and I recall something along the lines of seti
> themselves not having the best stats anyways.

This is the official one:

http://setiweb.ssl.berkeley.edu/team...p?teamid=30823

However I like this one:

http://www.setisynergy.com/stats/teams.php?team=30823

And this one's pretty cool too:

http://www.boinc.dk/index.php?page=t...h&teamid=30823

And this page shows that we are currently rated 72nd world-wide:

http://setiweb.ssl.berkeley.edu/top_...redit&offset=6
0

> Ta.

No probs.
--
~misfit~

Herb Garden

~misfit~ wrote:

> LOL, I hear ya. I was just having a conversation about the amount of
> time spent in showers with my girlfriend this evening.
>
> BTW, better watch out, Paddy and Stumpy might come over here and start
> glowering at us. Pretend we're talking about linux. <g>.

Yah
Paddy don't like you spending time in showers with your girlfriend !

~misfit~

Herb Garden wrote:
> ~misfit~ wrote:
>>
>> LOL, I hear ya. I was just having a conversation about the amount of
>> time spent in showers with my girlfriend this evening.
>>
>> BTW, better watch out, Paddy and Stumpy might come over here and
>> start glowering at us. Pretend we're talking about linux. <g>.

> Yah
> Paddy don't like you spending time in showers with your girlfriend !

LOL, we weren't showering together, we haven't done that for a while.
--
~misfit~

Damon Nomad

On , , Mon, 13 Sep 2004 18:43:26 +1200, Re: SETI BOINC,
"~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>steve wrote:
>> ~misfit~ wrote:
>>
>>> I leave one of my BOINC machines on 24/7 (Celeron Tualatin running at
>>> 1.6Ghz), the other about 17/7 due to having to watch the power
>>> consumption/cost at the moment.

>> You mnean your power bills aren't over $200 even in the middle of
>> summer?

>LOL, about $160/month summer and winter.

By the cringe!!
I barely use $20 a week. I have a HomePower system, where I
charge my card up at the Caltex station and swipe it through the
card reader on the wall at home.
Yesterdays power was $2.87, being $1.17 of M1 and 19 cents of M2
power. The daily/line charges are $1.52 though!
My useage last month was M1 $25.08 and $8.35 of M2 and $47.12 of
line/daily charges.
The power costs are M1 0.1321/kWh and M2 0.0933/kWh when I
checked the meter a few minutes ago.
I run one computer full time and a fridge and two digital clocks
also full time.
I just added everything up and discover it is $81.27 a month.
I had the HomePower installed when I had tenants here and haven't
got around to setting it back to the standard system.

Dogg

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 00:19:53 +1200, "~misfit~"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

<snip>

>This is the official one:
>
>http://setiweb.ssl.berkeley.edu/team...p?teamid=30823
>
>However I like this one:
>
>http://www.setisynergy.com/stats/teams.php?team=30823
>
>And this one's pretty cool too:
>
>http://www.boinc.dk/index.php?page=t...h&teamid=30823
>
>And this page shows that we are currently rated 72nd world-wide:
>
>http://setiweb.ssl.berkeley.edu/top_...redit&offset=6
>0

Do you get your seti@home stats showing on the Seti Synergy page? I
get

Your BOINC/S@H Stats
Error for 1 of two reasons:
1. The BOINC Account Number you have entered is INCORRECT. (Should be
a number about 5-6 digits long - check here)
2. Your new to BOINC and your account has not YET returned AND
credited and work! (Team stats checked hourly - check here to see if
your listed in team stats)

I've triple checked and I've definitely got the right account number
in there....

~misfit~

Dogg wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 00:19:53 +1200, "~misfit~"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> This is the official one:
>>
>> http://setiweb.ssl.berkeley.edu/team...p?teamid=30823
>>
>> However I like this one:
>>
>> http://www.setisynergy.com/stats/teams.php?team=30823
>>
>> And this one's pretty cool too:

http://www.boinc.dk/index.php?page=t...h&teamid=30823

>> And this page shows that we are currently rated 72nd world-wide:

http://setiweb.ssl.berkeley.edu/top_...redit&offset=6
>> 0
>>

> Do you get your seti@home stats showing on the Seti Synergy page? I
> get
>
> Your BOINC/S@H Stats
> Error for 1 of two reasons:
> 1. The BOINC Account Number you have entered is INCORRECT. (Should be
> a number about 5-6 digits long - check here)
> 2. Your new to BOINC and your account has not YET returned AND
> credited and work! (Team stats checked hourly - check here to see if
> your listed in team stats)
>
> I've triple checked and I've definitely got the right account number
> in there....

http://www.setisynergy.com/stats/boi...php?id=7783510

I just clicked your name from the team page.
--
~misfit~