Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > GeForce 6600GT - Looks like NVIDIA got it right this time...

GeForce 6600GT - Looks like NVIDIA got it right this time...

E. Scrooge

"Karen Parker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 17:14:29 +1200, Bruce Hoult <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >In article <Ipv0d.3054$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > Daniel <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> >> Is this the end of the ultra-crippled GF4MX, FX5200 entry-level legacy?
> >>
> >> Apparently, will sell for $200USD.
> >>
> >> Feel sorry for the dudes at work who recently forked out over $700NZD

for
> >> Radeon 9800XT's.

> >Hey raptor,
> >
> >US$200 is good for a card that performs that well, but I'm very happy
> >with my FX5200 with 128 MB and VGA & DVI out for $130 (nearly 6 months
> >ago). And I see Apple is putting 5200 Ultras in their new G5 iMac, as
> >well as in all but the very highest end G5 towers.

> Try and Play the Dawn Demo with it, you need a full compliant DX9 card

to do
> it..

Like you don't think that DX10 is now closer than ever. Not that it hardly
matters. You seem to think that the idea of producing games isn't to make
plenty of money from selling them. Unless they work on popular
configurations of the last few years they won't make very much money at all.
Unlike you not everyone buys a new video card every 6 months.
Didn't you claim that Halo was the only game worth having? Then it was Far
Cry, and God knows how many software before that.

You'll be saying that people can't take pictures without having a 12 MP
camera next.
Full credit to MS for sticking by XP for several years for a change, before
shoving out it's replacement. Those that paid full retail for it can be
more satisfied in knowing that it wasn't replaced a very short time later.

E. Scrooge

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Craig Sutton wrote:
>>Apparently, will sell for $200USD.

> $200 U.S=$700 NZ..once its sold here

not usually...
it's usually onle 2.5 x USD sometimes 3, but I can say I've ever seen
3.5, at least not recently.

MarkH

"Dave - Dave.net.nz" <Dave@_no_spam_here_please_dave.net.nz> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Craig Sutton wrote:
>>>Apparently, will sell for $200USD.

>> $200 U.S=$700 NZ..once its sold here

> not usually...
> it's usually onle 2.5 x USD sometimes 3, but I can say I've ever seen
> 3.5, at least not recently.

If you do see 3.5 x USD then do everyone a favour and donít buy from that
rip-off merchant, no point in encouraging that sort of pricing.

I have noticed that digital cameras are almost as cheap here a in the US,
but accessories like batteries for them are often 3 x US or more.

The dearer the item is the more likely the buyer will shop around the
better the price here. Really we should never have to pay more than 2 x US
(US x currency conversion + GST + Shipping costs).

A few months ago I bought a flash for my camera which cost me about $600
from the US including freight and GST. The NZ price varied from $879 to
$1099, I paid $US300 + Freight + GST.

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
See my pics at www.gigatech.co.nz
understand binary and those that don't"

steve

Karen Parker <(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 22:27:25 +1200, steve <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Craig Sutton wrote:
>>

>>> $200 U.S=$700 NZ..once its sold here

>>So mail order it from the US.
>>
>>You likely have an NTSC-capable TV anyway if you use the TV-out (assuming
>>it has one).

> In most cases they are selectable..

True!

David Preece

Bruce Hoult wrote:
> And I see Apple is putting 5200 Ultras in their new G5 iMac

Doesn't stop it from being a **** video card though, does it?

Disclaimer: **** i.e. compared to a 6800 series. Not **** compared to
what you actually need to run a desktop OS. Even one as OpenGL hungry as
OSX.

Dave

Dave

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 20:34:22 +1200, Karen Parker wrote:

> Try and Play the Dawn Demo with it, you need a full compliant DX9 card to do
> it..

Really, I'm sure the the nVidia Dawn demo is OpenGL.

Daniel

Bruce Hoult wrote:
> In article <Ipv0d.3054$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Daniel <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>Is this the end of the ultra-crippled GF4MX, FX5200 entry-level legacy?
>>
>>Apparently, will sell for $200USD.
>>
>>Feel sorry for the dudes at work who recently forked out over $700NZD for
>>Radeon 9800XT's.

> Hey raptor,
>
> US$200 is good for a card that performs that well, but I'm very happy
> with my FX5200 with 128 MB and VGA & DVI out for $130 (nearly 6 months
> ago). And I see Apple is putting 5200 Ultras in their new G5 iMac, as
> well as in all but the very highest end G5 towers.

Heh. Did you know Jacques brought a 1.5GHz G4 PowerBook with a Radeon 9700
128MB. It's the mobile version though, but, still very nice.

I'd probably get a Mac if I had the money