Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Floppy frustrations

Floppy frustrations

~misfit~

I hate floppy disks. I have a legit copy of DOS 6.2 and Windows 3.11 on
floppy and, amazing as it may seem, find myself in the position of wanting
to install it. Not a chance, virtually all the disks are shot, tried
checkdisk on 'em and most are unrecoverable. What's a man to do? I have
unopened boxes containing DOS 5 and Windows 3.1 - 3.11 upgrade on 3.5" disks
but I doubt they'll do me any good. I don't have 3.1 to upgrade.
--
~misfit~

Genius

~misfit~ wrote:

> I hate floppy disks. I have a legit copy of DOS 6.2 and Windows 3.11 on
> floppy and, amazing as it may seem, find myself in the position of wanting
> to install it. Not a chance, virtually all the disks are shot, tried
> checkdisk on 'em and most are unrecoverable. What's a man to do? I have
> unopened boxes containing DOS 5 and Windows 3.1 - 3.11 upgrade on 3.5"
> disks but I doubt they'll do me any good. I don't have 3.1 to upgrade.

looks like you will have to get some good disks from somewhere.
but have you checked that your floppy drive isn't borked?
try another disk drive - and never write enable the floppies or
run checkdisk on them except in read-only mode!

Ryan Jacobs

news:GQa0d.891$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I hate floppy disks. I have a legit copy of DOS 6.2 and Windows 3.11 on
> floppy and, amazing as it may seem, find myself in the position of wanting
> to install it. Not a chance, virtually all the disks are shot, tried
> checkdisk on 'em and most are unrecoverable. What's a man to do? I have
> unopened boxes containing DOS 5 and Windows 3.1 - 3.11 upgrade on 3.5"
> disks
> but I doubt they'll do me any good. I don't have 3.1 to upgrade.
> --

Total long shot, but........

Try talking to MS. Since you have legit copies and only require replacement
media - then they may be able to point you in the right direction.

Of course, given that its the weekend, your stuck until Monday (unless
someone else has a solution).

Like I said, a long shot, but sometimes the answer can reside in the most
unlikely place

E. Scrooge

"Genius" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> ~misfit~ wrote:
>
> > I hate floppy disks. I have a legit copy of DOS 6.2 and Windows 3.11 on
> > floppy and, amazing as it may seem, find myself in the position of

wanting
> > to install it. Not a chance, virtually all the disks are shot, tried
> > checkdisk on 'em and most are unrecoverable. What's a man to do? I have
> > unopened boxes containing DOS 5 and Windows 3.1 - 3.11 upgrade on 3.5"
> > disks but I doubt they'll do me any good. I don't have 3.1 to upgrade.

> looks like you will have to get some good disks from somewhere.
> but have you checked that your floppy drive isn't borked?
> try another disk drive - and never write enable the floppies or
> run checkdisk on them except in read-only mode!

More than likely the disks will be stuffed. The surface doesn't age well.
CDs should last longer as their surface aren't exposed to the air.
I've had the same problem when trying re-install some old games on a 486 I
gave away. It was a bugger to find most the disks wouldn't read properly
considering what the buggers cost.

E. Scrooge

Warwick

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 17:21:59 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:

> I hate floppy disks. I have a legit copy of DOS 6.2 and Windows 3.11 on
> floppy and, amazing as it may seem, find myself in the position of wanting
> to install it. Not a chance, virtually all the disks are shot, tried
> checkdisk on 'em and most are unrecoverable. What's a man to do? I have
> unopened boxes containing DOS 5 and Windows 3.1 - 3.11 upgrade on 3.5" disks
> but I doubt they'll do me any good. I don't have 3.1 to upgrade.

You are not alone in this.
Dunno if it was the new machine (Athlon 1800) I bought 3 years ago or OS
(xp). 2 in 3 are ****ed - XP says the disk requires formatting, however I
can throw them into my old p2 and they work fine.
The reason I suspect the OS is that the Athlon is dual boot, and floppys
that fail in XP can be read under linux. Go figure.

I have call for dos as well, I did see some set up cd images for free
online, which I downloaded but have not tried yet.

cheers.

Collector_NZ

~misfit~ said the following on 10/09/2004 17:21:

> I hate floppy disks. I have a legit copy of DOS 6.2 and Windows 3.11 on
> floppy and, amazing as it may seem, find myself in the position of wanting
> to install it. Not a chance, virtually all the disks are shot, tried
> checkdisk on 'em and most are unrecoverable. What's a man to do? I have
> unopened boxes containing DOS 5 and Windows 3.1 - 3.11 upgrade on 3.5" disks
> but I doubt they'll do me any good. I don't have 3.1 to upgrade.
> --
> ~misfit~

Are you sure they are 1.44 and not 720k ?

--
Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being
governed by those who are dumber.

Lawrence DčOliveiro

In article <GQa0d.891$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I hate floppy disks. I have a legit copy of DOS 6.2 and Windows 3.11 on
>floppy and, amazing as it may seem, find myself in the position of wanting
>to install it. Not a chance, virtually all the disks are shot, tried
>checkdisk on 'em and most are unrecoverable.

Floppy disks were never very reliable, even when they were popular.
That's why I always made backups of all of mine.

Then when I got my first CD writer (which was a while ago), I used it to
save backups of the floppies in the form of image files.

Lawrence
veteran of failures of every single data-storage format I've ever owned

Ryan Jacobs

"Lawrence DčOliveiro" <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

<snip>

> veteran of failures of every single data-storage format I've ever owned

Oh, thank god!

I thought I was the only one to experience failures on every media.

The manufacturers claim that floppys, cd, tape, usb, etc, etc........

.........are foolproof.......

My personal favourite is the claims that CD-R will last for 100 years. Of
course, will we be here in 100 years to prove them wrong?

Steve Robertson

In article <GQa0d.891$(E-Mail Removed)>, "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I hate floppy disks. I have a legit copy of DOS 6.2 and Windows 3.11 on
>floppy and, amazing as it may seem, find myself in the position of wanting
>to install it. Not a chance, virtually all the disks are shot, tried
>checkdisk on 'em and most are unrecoverable. What's a man to do? I have
>unopened boxes containing DOS 5 and Windows 3.1 - 3.11 upgrade on 3.5" disks
>but I doubt they'll do me any good. I don't have 3.1 to upgrade.

You may on need the first install disk to upgrade from

Try trademe.
Else I might be able to help, Ive got DOS6 & Win3.1 on CD

Charlie G.

"Ryan Jacobs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:qIc0d.924$(E-Mail Removed)...

> My personal favourite is the claims that CD-R will last for 100 years. Of
> course, will we be here in 100 years to prove them wrong?

Or if they only last 10 years, will we ever be able to find that 100 year
guarantee in the box with the 15 - 20 other media types we've had to
contend with since we bought it!

Charlie