Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > basic info - long(ish)

basic info - long(ish)

geepeetee

Hi

Still not got anywhere with this network, I need some basic info.

If anyone can tell me or direct me to a site that explains what these mean I
would be grateful:

Firstly, I have a desktop used as the main pc and connecting to the internet
via dial up (dlink pci card) also a laptop using dlink pcmcia card. Both
machines use xp and SP2, cards are installed ok, no ghosts and detect other
networks in the neighbourhood (they are secure and I cant connect).

Clicking on wireless networks connection properties, "wireless networks" and
"add"

Association tab

SSID - I assume this is the network name (default is MSHOME when using the
wizard I think)

Network Authentication - Does this want to be open or shared?

Data encryption - Wants to be disabled initially until network is
established I think

Network key - I think this is in effect the password to connect?

Key index - Don't know?

Computer to Computer (Ad hoc) - In my case this wants a tick in it I think

Authentication tab

"Enable IEEE802.1.x" - ticked or not?

Authenticate as a computer - ticked or not?

Authenticate as a guest - ticked or not?

Would correctly completing these steps on both machines create a network
that either machine would detect and show in the "available networks" window

cheers

Gary

--
Visit my websites at
www.justjents.co.uk

Jack

Hi

I do not think that I can understand what is the make is up of your network.

What is the Internet Source? If it is Dialup then where is the Modem, and
what it is connected to (D-Link PCI card does not seem to be the Modem).

What does the Routing for the two computer? ICS, Hardware Router, something
else?

Do you have Wireless? If yes what is the Wireless source (Wireless Cable/DSL
Router, Access Point, Ad-Hoc connetion), and where are the client Cards
installed, (The Laptop PCMCIA is Wireless)?

SSID is the ID (name) of the Wireless part; it has nothing to do with the
Network name, you can choose whatever you like.

IEEE802.1.x should be disable when using regular home network.

The classical Home network that comprised of Cable or DSL Internet
Connection usually looks like this, http://www.ezlan.net/network/router.jpg

This page has info about setting a Network,
http://www.ezlan.net/Installing.html

These pages have info about setting Wireless Network Connection.

Wireless, Basic Configuration: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Config.html

Wireless Security: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html

There are many more pages with basic information here, http://www.ezlan.net

Jack (MVP-Networking).

"geepeetee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
>
> Still not got anywhere with this network, I need some basic info.
>
> If anyone can tell me or direct me to a site that explains what these mean
> I would be grateful:
>
> Firstly, I have a desktop used as the main pc and connecting to the
> internet via dial up (dlink pci card) also a laptop using dlink pcmcia
> card. Both machines use xp and SP2, cards are installed ok, no ghosts and
> detect other networks in the neighbourhood (they are secure and I cant
> connect).
>
> Clicking on wireless networks connection properties, "wireless networks"
> and "add"
>
> Association tab
>
> SSID - I assume this is the network name (default is MSHOME when using the
> wizard I think)
>
> Network Authentication - Does this want to be open or shared?
>
> Data encryption - Wants to be disabled initially until network is
> established I think
>
> Network key - I think this is in effect the password to connect?
>
> Key index - Don't know?
>
> Computer to Computer (Ad hoc) - In my case this wants a tick in it I think
>
> Authentication tab
>
> "Enable IEEE802.1.x" - ticked or not?
>
> Authenticate as a computer - ticked or not?
>
> Authenticate as a guest - ticked or not?
>
> Would correctly completing these steps on both machines create a network
> that either machine would detect and show in the "available networks"
> window
>
> cheers
>
> Gary
>

> --