Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Installing windows from a USB flash drive

Installing windows from a USB flash drive

Stephen Williams

Anyone know if it's possible to install Windows XP Home from a USB flash
drive? The computers we build vary quite a bit, so keeping images for each
type really isn't what I want to do. Also, installing windows can quite
often expose a hardware fault, good to eliminate those before the customer
gets the PC lol.

The customer still gets the Windows CD, book and sticker etc so i really
don't care about any legal issues.

Steve

SNOman

Stephen Williams wrote:

> Anyone know if it's possible to install Windows XP Home from a USB flash
> drive? The computers we build vary quite a bit, so keeping images for each
> type really isn't what I want to do. Also, installing windows can quite
> often expose a hardware fault, good to eliminate those before the customer
> gets the PC lol.
>
> The customer still gets the Windows CD, book and sticker etc so i really
> don't care about any legal issues.
>
> Steve

If it's a bootable device then I would have thought that there would be
a way to achieve it. However if you are not imaging then why use a usb
device as opposed to the cd?

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Stephen Williams wrote:
> Anyone know if it's possible to install Windows XP Home from a USB flash
> drive?

yes and no.
You need either the ability to boot from USB, or you would need to setup
a boot floppy or CD with DOS USB drivers(yes they are so available, look
harder) .

--
Dave Hall
http://www.dave.net.nz

Patrick Dunford

In article <chnqe4$r1i$(E-Mail Removed)> in nz.comp on Thu, 09 Sep 2004
08:35:17 +1200, SNOman <(E-Mail Removed)> says...
> Stephen Williams wrote:
>
> > Anyone know if it's possible to install Windows XP Home from a USB flash
> > drive? The computers we build vary quite a bit, so keeping images for each
> > type really isn't what I want to do. Also, installing windows can quite
> > often expose a hardware fault, good to eliminate those before the customer
> > gets the PC lol.
> >
> > The customer still gets the Windows CD, book and sticker etc so i really
> > don't care about any legal issues.
> >
> > Steve
> >

> If it's a bootable device then I would have thought that there would be
> a way to achieve it. However if you are not imaging then why use a usb
> device as opposed to the cd?

Every PC these days have a USB port, but a CDrom is still optional.