Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > HD Temp

HD Temp

JohnO

This Seagate Barracuda drive seems to sit at around 55 degrees when
operating heavily. According to Seagate, the temp should never be allowed to
exceed 60 degrees. Should I be worried?

TIA
JohnO

Harry

JohnO wrote:

> This Seagate Barracuda drive seems to sit at around 55 degrees when
> operating heavily. According to Seagate, the temp should never be allowed
> to exceed 60 degrees. Should I be worried?

How are you measuring the temperature?
How accurate is your temperature measurement?

Tim

You need to attend to this ASAP. Until such time as you do have a proper
solution, run your computer with the cover off - if it makes the HDD cooler
without affecting CPU temp.

High HDD temps can stuff drives prematurely.

If you have drives sandwiched together then try and space them apart. If you
have no fan in the front of the case then look at adding one. Consider
rounded cables... Consider moving the drive into an airflow...

- Tim

"JohnO" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsnC%c.109$(E-Mail Removed)...
> This Seagate Barracuda drive seems to sit at around 55 degrees when
> operating heavily. According to Seagate, the temp should never be allowed
> to exceed 60 degrees. Should I be worried?
>
> TIA
> JohnO

Karen Parker

On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 23:51:45 +1200, "JohnO" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>This Seagate Barracuda drive seems to sit at around 55 degrees when
>operating heavily. According to Seagate, the temp should never be allowed to
>exceed 60 degrees. Should I be worried?
>
>TIA
>JohnO

Yes they do need a Fan on them..

Get a Case that has a fan option in front of the Hard Drives

Like the Cheap ICute..

Some have 2 x 80mm fans some have one 120mm..

JohnO

"Karen Parker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 23:51:45 +1200, "JohnO" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >This Seagate Barracuda drive seems to sit at around 55 degrees when
> >operating heavily. According to Seagate, the temp should never be allowed

> >exceed 60 degrees. Should I be worried?
> >
> >TIA
> >JohnO
> >

> Yes they do need a Fan on them..
>
> Get a Case that has a fan option in front of the Hard Drives
>

> Like the Cheap ICute..
>
> Some have 2 x 80mm fans some have one 120mm..

Yep, this case has two drives sandwiched pretty close together right at the
edge of the case. The airflow looks to be rather poor. I think I better get
a new case as I suspect no amount of fans will get a decent airflow through
the drives.

Thanks all,

~misfit~

JohnO wrote:
> This Seagate Barracuda drive seems to sit at around 55 degrees when
> operating heavily. According to Seagate, the temp should never be
> allowed to exceed 60 degrees. Should I be worried?

I think so. Summer's coming. I had the same problem and my cheap-arse case
made it really difficult to fit a fan in the front *and* a HDD in the
airflow, I could put the HDD above or below, neither of which solved the
problem. I ended up puting in one of these:

http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.sto...40c0a87f9906de
/Product/View/XH5092

After looking at *way* more expensive solutions from companies such as
Thermaltake that didn't seem any better. It fits into a 5 1/2" bay so you'll
need one of those spare. Mine dropped my HDD temp (read from internal
termistor by a little ap called DTemp) between 10-15C. I expected more to
be honest but it was enough.
--
~misfit~

JohnO

"Harry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsIC%c.117$(E-Mail Removed)...
> JohnO wrote:
>
> > This Seagate Barracuda drive seems to sit at around 55 degrees when
> > operating heavily. According to Seagate, the temp should never be

allowed
> > to exceed 60 degrees. Should I be worried?

> How are you measuring the temperature?
> How accurate is your temperature measurement?

I'm using the S.M.A.R.T. monitoring on the drive itself to monitor the
temperature. There's plenty of free tools around to read the diagnostic
data - I'm using SmartPC 2004 IIRC. Dunno how accurate it is though.

Harry

JohnO wrote:

> "Harry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> newsIC%c.117$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> JohnO wrote:
>>
>> > This Seagate Barracuda drive seems to sit at around 55 degrees when
>> > operating heavily. According to Seagate, the temp should never be

> allowed
>> > to exceed 60 degrees. Should I be worried?

>> How are you measuring the temperature?
>> How accurate is your temperature measurement?
>>

> I'm using the S.M.A.R.T. monitoring on the drive itself to monitor the
> temperature. There's plenty of free tools around to read the diagnostic
> data - I'm using SmartPC 2004 IIRC. Dunno how accurate it is though.

It might not be accurate.
I would be inclined to look for changes, not the absolute meaurement itself.

Typically such measurements are based on simple thermal characteristics
of a semiconductor and are not very accurate. A 10% accuracy would be
excellent. But 20% error wouldn't be particularly unusual.

Anyhow, if your drive is under warranty then thrash it until is breaks
down and get a replacement. But make sure you regularly backup your data,
and it helps to have a spare drive handy too.

JohnO

"Harry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:fdM%c.287$(E-Mail Removed)...
> JohnO wrote:
>

> > "Harry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > newsIC%c.117$(E-Mail Removed)...

> > allowed
> >>
> >> How are you measuring the temperature?
> >> How accurate is your temperature measurement?
> >>

> > I'm using the S.M.A.R.T. monitoring on the drive itself to monitor the
> > temperature. There's plenty of free tools around to read the diagnostic
> > data - I'm using SmartPC 2004 IIRC. Dunno how accurate it is though.

> It might not be accurate.
> I would be inclined to look for changes, not the absolute meaurement

itself.

> Typically such measurements are based on simple thermal characteristics
> of a semiconductor and are not very accurate. A 10% accuracy would be
> excellent. But 20% error wouldn't be particularly unusual.
>
> Anyhow, if your drive is under warranty then thrash it until is breaks
> down and get a replacement. But make sure you regularly backup your data,
> and it helps to have a spare drive handy too.

No changes. It's been totally consistent since installation.

If I was living in any other country than NZ I'd be happy to rely on
warranty. However I find that dodgy NZ retailers are not always happy to do
warranty replacements without a lot of arm twisting which I don't much care
for!

colinco

In article Harry says...
> Typically such measurements are based on simple thermal characteristics
> of a semiconductor and are not very accurate. A 10% accuracy would be
> excellent. But 20% error wouldn't be particularly unusual.
>
> Anyhow, if your drive is under warranty then thrash it until is breaks
> down and get a replacement. But make sure you regularly backup your data,
> and it helps to have a spare drive handy too.

SMART data is retained by the drive. It doesn't do your warranty claim
much good to have a max temp >60 recorded.