Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > DSE suggesting burning vinyl to cds, is that legal in NZ? I didntthink it was.

Reply
Thread Tools

DSE suggesting burning vinyl to cds, is that legal in NZ? I didntthink it was.

 
 
thing
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-07-2004
regards

Thing

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
-[Myth]-
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-07-2004
On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 17:56:01 +1200, thing wrote:

> regards
>
> Thing


Maybe they are talking about non-copyright vinyls i doubt many of these
exist though
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
EMB
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-07-2004
-[Myth]- wrote:


> Maybe they are talking about non-copyright vinyls i doubt many of these
> exist though


Copyright on a hell of a lot of vinyl out there would have expired by
now wouldn't it? I certainly doubt there's many 78's left that are
still under copyright.


--
EMB
change two to number to reply
 
Reply With Quote
 
Ralph Fox
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-07-2004
On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 18:46:57 +1200, in message
<chjlbj$n70$(E-Mail Removed)>, EMB wrote:

> -[Myth]- wrote:
>
> > Maybe they are talking about non-copyright vinyls i doubt many of these
> > exist though

>
> Copyright on a hell of a lot of vinyl out there would have expired by
> now wouldn't it?



According to this govt website, only on vinyl released
in 1953 or earlier.

http://www.med.govt.nz/buslt/int_pro....html#P48_5553

| How Long Does Protection Last?
|
| • Sound recordings and films: Copyright protection lasts
| fifty years from the end of the calendar year in which
| the sound recording or film was made or made available
| to the public, whichever is the latter.


> I certainly doubt there's many 78's left that are
> still under copyright.


The same may not be true of 33's and 45's.


--
Cheers,
Ralph

Politics is the art of getting power and
privilege without possessing merit.
 
Reply With Quote
 
thing
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-07-2004
Ralph Fox wrote:
> On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 18:46:57 +1200, in message
> <chjlbj$n70$(E-Mail Removed)>, EMB wrote:
>
>
>>-[Myth]- wrote:
>>
>>
>>>Maybe they are talking about non-copyright vinyls i doubt many of these
>>>exist though

>>
>>Copyright on a hell of a lot of vinyl out there would have expired by
>>now wouldn't it?

>
>
>
> According to this govt website, only on vinyl released
> in 1953 or earlier.
>
> http://www.med.govt.nz/buslt/int_pro....html#P48_5553
>
> | How Long Does Protection Last?
> |
> | • Sound recordings and films: Copyright protection lasts
> | fifty years from the end of the calendar year in which
> | the sound recording or film was made or made available
> | to the public, whichever is the latter.


Some of Elvis's music is no longer covered by "Global" copyright, though
in the US I believe its being extended effectively for ever so it is
there. There seemed to be some concern that people could copy his work
legally in Europe and export is to the US where it is not legal.

In the US though there is the concept of fair use which allows copying
from one media to another for personal use, in NZ this is or was not
covered. Hence I was wondering if it now was, I recall some Govn Dept
suggesting fair use be written into the copyright law and the big media
concerns kicking up a fuss as it was not fair (somehow it being fair and
allowed in the US escapes them!)

Also I think films have a longer copyright than the standard 50 years,
and some things less?

regards

Thing
















 
Reply With Quote
 
Jamie
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-07-2004
thing

what planet u living on?

regards

"thing" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:h3c%c.2454$(E-Mail Removed)...
> regards
>
> Thing
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
samg
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-07-2004
thing <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:Uzd%c.2475$(E-Mail Removed):

> In the US though there is the concept of fair use which allows copying
> from one media to another for personal use, in NZ this is or was not
> covered. Hence I was wondering if it now was, I recall some Govn Dept
> suggesting fair use be written into the copyright law and the big media
> concerns kicking up a fuss as it was not fair (somehow it being fair and
> allowed in the US escapes them!)


yeah that amazed me as well.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Bruce Sinclair
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-07-2004
In article <h3c%c.2454$(E-Mail Removed)>, thing <(E-Mail Removed)> was seen to type:

Not at the moment IIRC. It's still a logical thing to do ... much of
the vinyl is unobtainable now

As usual, stupid laws will be ignored


Bruce


-----------------------------------------------------------------------
It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to
think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyones fault.
If it was Us, what did that make Me ? After all, Im one of Us. I must be.
Ive certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No-one ever thinks
of themselves as one of Them. Were always one of Us. Its Them that do
the bad things. <=> Terry Pratchett. Jingo.

Caution ===== followups may have been changed to relevant groups
(if there were any)
 
Reply With Quote
 
Bruce Sinclair
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-07-2004
In article <chjlbj$n70$(E-Mail Removed)>, EMB <(E-Mail Removed)> was seen to type:
>-[Myth]- wrote:
>> Maybe they are talking about non-copyright vinyls i doubt many of these
>> exist though

>
>Copyright on a hell of a lot of vinyl out there would have expired by
>now wouldn't it? I certainly doubt there's many 78's left that are
>still under copyright.


<picky on> I didn't think that 78's were on vinyl ... they break a lot
easier for a start. That said, I don't know what they are either


Bruce


-----------------------------------------------------------------------
It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to
think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyones fault.
If it was Us, what did that make Me ? After all, Im one of Us. I must be.
Ive certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No-one ever thinks
of themselves as one of Them. Were always one of Us. Its Them that do
the bad things. <=> Terry Pratchett. Jingo.

Caution ===== followups may have been changed to relevant groups
(if there were any)
 
Reply With Quote
 
Bruce Sinclair
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-07-2004
In article <Uzd%c.2475$(E-Mail Removed)>, thing <(E-Mail Removed)> was seen to type:
(snip)
>Also I think films have a longer copyright than the standard 50 years,
>and some things less?


Stage shows can certainly have copyright extended ... gilbert and
sullivan eg
Still a 100 year max tho IIRC.




Bruce


-----------------------------------------------------------------------
It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to
think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyones fault.
If it was Us, what did that make Me ? After all, Im one of Us. I must be.
Ive certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No-one ever thinks
of themselves as one of Them. Were always one of Us. Its Them that do
the bad things. <=> Terry Pratchett. Jingo.

Caution ===== followups may have been changed to relevant groups
(if there were any)
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
problem in running a basic code in python 3.3.0 that includes HTML file Satabdi Mukherjee Python 1 04-04-2013 07:48 PM
Best software for archiving Vinyl Record collection? ]v[etaphoid Computer Support 4 01-09-2008 10:09 AM
HELP :: DSE DSE 802.11b Broadband Router XH8345 Tony NZ Computing 9 08-04-2005 06:56 AM
DSE DSE 802.11b Broadband Router XH8345 Tony NZ Computing 2 08-03-2005 10:58 PM
Help suggesting new URL richard Computer Support 0 09-29-2003 10:51 AM



Advertisments