Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > [rant] IM download

[rant] IM download

Warwick

I have been trying to get a new windows installation going on dial up.
I know broadband users will be giggling already, but its not damn funny.

This page is very annoying, it is the download for Instant Messenger.
http://messenger.msn.com/download/downloadx.aspx

Normally if you download a file via http and IE 6 you get a nice little
dialog. You are asked if you want to 'open', 'save' or 'cancel'.
The file you are getting is named, and there is a transfer rate and
progress bar.

Here ms have decided to do things a little differently.
You go to the page and the download begins automatically, the page has its
own progress bar. If you are stupid enough to click on a url in another
program, the page will change, and the download probably stops (does it? I
don't know, nor can I be bothered waiting to find out).
So I chose the manual option and invoked the normal dialog.
For some reason it stopped.
I reopened the page and started again. It picked up where it left off!
But then it started the other download as wells, from the beginning on the
page. FFS!. As I write, the 84% dialog dload has stopped completely, the
other is ticking over slowly from the beginning. And someone is hounding me
so they can use the phone. (sigh).

I think the transfer rate on the dialog box is bullshit.
It started at 4.26 kbps. Now it is down to 779 bits and dropping. I am sure
it is simply dividing the data received by the time taken.
So the transfer rate shows as a slowly decrementing figure, when if fact
nothing is being transferred at all.

Nathan Mercer

Warwick wrote:

> I have been trying to get a new windows installation going on dial up.
> I know broadband users will be giggling already, but its not damn funny.
>
> This page is very annoying, it is the download for Instant Messenger.
> http://messenger.msn.com/download/downloadx.aspx
>
> Normally if you download a file via http and IE 6 you get a nice little
> dialog. You are asked if you want to 'open', 'save' or 'cancel'.
> The file you are getting is named, and there is a transfer rate and
> progress bar.

Try here then
http://g.xtramsn.co.nz/7MEEN_NZ/EN/SETUPDL.EXE

Bret

On Mon, 6 Sep 2004 20:42:11 +1200, Warwick <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I think the transfer rate on the dialog box is bullshit.
>It started at 4.26 kbps. Now it is down to 779 bits and dropping. I am sure
>it is simply dividing the data received by the time taken.
>So the transfer rate shows as a slowly decrementing figure, when if fact
>nothing is being transferred at all.

LOL
Sorry Warwick, but thats damn good humour, have you thought about
going professional
Picture a voiceover, man sitting at comp, voiceover ends
Out with the baseball bat.

~misfit~

Bret wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Sep 2004 20:42:11 +1200, Warwick <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> I think the transfer rate on the dialog box is bullshit.
>> It started at 4.26 kbps. Now it is down to 779 bits and dropping. I
>> am sure it is simply dividing the data received by the time taken.
>> So the transfer rate shows as a slowly decrementing figure, when if
>> fact nothing is being transferred at all.

> LOL
> Sorry Warwick, but thats damn good humour, have you thought about
> going professional
> Picture a voiceover, man sitting at comp, voiceover ends
> Out with the baseball bat.

LOL, I agree, and sympathise. I've been there.

I have one word for you: *LeechGet*. Since I started using it downloads have
been a breeze, even on my crappy dial-up.
--
~misfit~