Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Has me beat

Has me beat

Taranis

Working on a friends computer, an old 686 200 with 64m ram and a 2m video
card. It had windows 98 installed, onboard soundcard stopped working, I
chucked an isa soundblaster in, no luck.Reinstalled windows no luck kept
freezing whenever a sound was needed even to accessing the sounds from the
control panel. Ok last resort try redhat 9, it works, now this is weird as
windows is usually a lot more forgiving of hardware that linux is. This is
a gameplaying friend so while linux has a lot of them it really isn't an
option so I guess I will swap computers with them, I have a 266 overclocked
to 334 but max 64M memory the 200 is happy to go up to 256M. Any ideas to
what could be causing the problem is welcome.

Southern Kiwi

Drivers

"Taranis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:chbhm0$m57$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Working on a friends computer, an old 686 200 with 64m ram and a 2m video
> card. It had windows 98 installed, onboard soundcard stopped working, I
> chucked an isa soundblaster in, no luck.Reinstalled windows no luck kept
> freezing whenever a sound was needed even to accessing the sounds from the
> control panel. Ok last resort try redhat 9, it works, now this is weird as
> windows is usually a lot more forgiving of hardware that linux is. This is
> a gameplaying friend so while linux has a lot of them it really isn't an
> option so I guess I will swap computers with them, I have a 266

overclocked
> to 334 but max 64M memory the 200 is happy to go up to 256M. Any ideas to
> what could be causing the problem is welcome.

steve

Taranis wrote:

> Working on a friends computer, an old 686 200 with 64m ram and a 2m video
> card. It had windows 98 installed, onboard soundcard stopped working, I
> chucked an isa soundblaster in, no luck.Reinstalled windows no luck kept
> freezing whenever a sound was needed even to accessing the sounds from the
> control panel. Ok last resort try redhat 9, it works, now this is weird as
> windows is usually a lot more forgiving of hardware that linux is. This is
> a gameplaying friend so while linux has a lot of them it really isn't an
> option so I guess I will swap computers with them, I have a 266
> overclocked to 334 but max 64M memory the 200 is happy to go up to 256M.
> Any ideas to what could be causing the problem is welcome.

IRQ or DMA conflicts?

Maybe there is on-board sound that needs to be disabled?

Taranis

steve wrote:

> Taranis wrote:
>
>> Working on a friends computer, an old 686 200 with 64m ram and a 2m video
>> card. It had windows 98 installed, onboard soundcard stopped working, I
>> chucked an isa soundblaster in, no luck.Reinstalled windows no luck kept
>> freezing whenever a sound was needed even to accessing the sounds from
>> the control panel. Ok last resort try redhat 9, it works, now this is
>> weird as windows is usually a lot more forgiving of hardware that linux
>> is. This is a gameplaying friend so while linux has a lot of them it
>> really isn't an option so I guess I will swap computers with them, I have
>> a 266 overclocked to 334 but max 64M memory the 200 is happy to go up to
>> 256M. Any ideas to what could be causing the problem is welcome.

> IRQ or DMA conflicts?
>
> Maybe there is on-board sound that needs to be disabled?

Nothing in the bios, looked hard believe me..

Windows happily recognises the onboard as an ess *** and the isa as a
soundblaster. Maybe I need a mb driver disk...In that case it being an old
computer I will go for the swap option, don't ya just love the way
computers behave sometimes.

Craig Shore

On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 18:40:32 +1200, Taranis <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>steve wrote:
>
>> Taranis wrote:
>>
>>> Working on a friends computer, an old 686 200 with 64m ram and a 2m video
>>> card. It had windows 98 installed, onboard soundcard stopped working, I
>>> chucked an isa soundblaster in, no luck.Reinstalled windows no luck kept
>>> freezing whenever a sound was needed even to accessing the sounds from
>>> the control panel. Ok last resort try redhat 9, it works, now this is
>>> weird as windows is usually a lot more forgiving of hardware that linux
>>> is. This is a gameplaying friend so while linux has a lot of them it
>>> really isn't an option so I guess I will swap computers with them, I have
>>> a 266 overclocked to 334 but max 64M memory the 200 is happy to go up to
>>> 256M. Any ideas to what could be causing the problem is welcome.

>> IRQ or DMA conflicts?
>>
>> Maybe there is on-board sound that needs to be disabled?

>Nothing in the bios, looked hard believe me..
>
>Windows happily recognises the onboard as an ess *** and the isa as a
>soundblaster. Maybe I need a mb driver disk...In that case it being an old
>computer I will go for the swap option, don't ya just love the way
>computers behave sometimes.

I couldn't get a SB PCI64 to work with a new Asus A7N8X (from memory)
mainboard, which is not that old. Windows froze when the drivers were installed
for the card. I tried moving it through the PCI slots etc. In the end I gave
up. With the new Shuttle I have, I thought i'd give it a try in that. Worked
immediatly.

Your problem will be the drivers for the card, but as to a fix there probably is
no easy one.

Taranis

Craig Shore wrote:

>>Windows happily recognises the onboard as an ess *** and the isa as a
>>soundblaster. Maybe I need a mb driver disk...In that case it being an old
>>computer I will go for the swap option, don't ya just love the way
>>computers behave sometimes.

> I couldn't get a SB PCI64 to work with a new Asus A7N8X (from memory)
> mainboard, which is not that old. Windows froze when the drivers were
> installed
> for the card. I tried moving it through the PCI slots etc. In the end I
> gave
> up. With the new Shuttle I have, I thought i'd give it a try in that.
> Worked immediatly.
>
> Your problem will be the drivers for the card, but as to a fix there
> probably is no easy one.

Nope as the onboard soundcard freezes as well, which is why I tried the
other one. It's a pcdirect 686, they are not that picky.

cowboyz

Taranis wrote:
> Working on a friends computer, an old 686 200 with 64m ram and a 2m
> video card. It had windows 98 installed, onboard soundcard stopped
> working, I chucked an isa soundblaster in, no luck.Reinstalled
> windows no luck kept freezing whenever a sound was needed even to
> accessing the sounds from the control panel. Ok last resort try
> redhat 9, it works, now this is weird as windows is usually a lot
> more forgiving of hardware that linux is. This is a gameplaying
> friend so while linux has a lot of them it really isn't an option so
> I guess I will swap computers with them, I have a 266 overclocked to
> 334 but max 64M memory the 200 is happy to go up to 256M. Any ideas
> to what could be causing the problem is welcome.

No idea what up with that but I found myself wondering..

What does your gameplaying friend play on a P200 / 64meg ram and a 2 meg
video card?

Taranis

cowboyz wrote:

> Taranis wrote:
>> Working on a friends computer, an old 686 200 with 64m ram and a 2m
>> video card. It had windows 98 installed, onboard soundcard stopped
>> working, I chucked an isa soundblaster in, no luck.Reinstalled
>> windows no luck kept freezing whenever a sound was needed even to
>> accessing the sounds from the control panel. Ok last resort try
>> redhat 9, it works, now this is weird as windows is usually a lot
>> more forgiving of hardware that linux is. This is a gameplaying
>> friend so while linux has a lot of them it really isn't an option so
>> I guess I will swap computers with them, I have a 266 overclocked to
>> 334 but max 64M memory the 200 is happy to go up to 256M. Any ideas
>> to what could be causing the problem is welcome.

> No idea what up with that but I found myself wondering..
>
> What does your gameplaying friend play on a P200 / 64meg ram and a 2 meg
> video card?

The sims, red alert,,,,and some real games like colonization, captive etc

GraB

On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 16:52:21 +1200, Taranis <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Working on a friends computer, an old 686 200 with 64m ram and a 2m video
>card. It had windows 98 installed, onboard soundcard stopped working, I
>chucked an isa soundblaster in, no luck.Reinstalled windows no luck kept
>freezing whenever a sound was needed even to accessing the sounds from the
>control panel. Ok last resort try redhat 9, it works, now this is weird as
>windows is usually a lot more forgiving of hardware that linux is. This is
>a gameplaying friend so while linux has a lot of them it really isn't an
>option so I guess I will swap computers with them, I have a 266 overclocked
>to 334 but max 64M memory the 200 is happy to go up to 256M. Any ideas to
>what could be causing the problem is welcome.

DirectX installed? I have had that with my Ensonique which wouldn't
work until I installed DirectX.

wrote:

>Working on a friends computer, an old 686 200 with 64m ram and a 2m video
>card. It had windows 98 installed, onboard soundcard stopped working, I
>chucked an isa soundblaster in, no luck.Reinstalled windows no luck kept
>freezing whenever a sound was needed even to accessing the sounds from the
>control panel. Ok last resort try redhat 9, it works, now this is weird as
>windows is usually a lot more forgiving of hardware that linux is. This is
>a gameplaying friend so while linux has a lot of them it really isn't an
>option so I guess I will swap computers with them, I have a 266 overclocked
>to 334 but max 64M memory the 200 is happy to go up to 256M. Any ideas to
>what could be causing the problem is welcome.

Interesting you should say that about Linux. I have a Acer 50x CD-ROM
drive that went very flaky in a friend's PC Company machine. Put it
on my machine and Windows would not read any disc put in it, but when
using a Linux bootable CD, it would work, though it would eventually
stop responding. Cleaning the lens didn't improve anything.
Doorstop. Its funny what people use for doorstops, when you think
about it - dead drives, old 386s, dot matrix printers . . .

OT: how to beat death and taxes [short form] /* Microcephalic \Simpson\ Bob */ MCSE 1 09-28-2005 01:07 PM
I beat the 70-216 Exam & picked up my MCSA! Paul MCSE 3 11-29-2003 11:12 AM
Re: IE6 has beat me up Neil White HTML 23 08-10-2003 04:58 PM
Re: IE6 has beat me up Headless HTML 2 08-06-2003 06:34 AM
Re: IE6 has beat me up Headless HTML 0 08-06-2003 06:19 AM

Advertisments