Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > ADSL Modem Router Switch Combos

ADSL Modem Router Switch Combos

Owly

Hi,
Well, now that we've moved to an ADSL friendly area we've signed
up for Orcon's Jetstart with change to 256k when the UBS comes
into effect next month deal.
Two queries:
One: there seems to be a huge number of people selling Puretek PT3812
combos on trademe for around the $100 mark but no one buys them.
Does anyone know if there is a good reason why?
I ask because I've been offered one for $93 and on the surface it would
suit our purposes perfectly.
Two: If these are *crap* what do people recommend?
We can either go modem router with a switch or buy one that does all.
What are the downfalls for having a modem router with a switch, if any?

Basically, I'm looking for recommendations as to the best setup keeping
economy in mind.

TIA

Owly.

EMB

Owly wrote:

> One: there seems to be a huge number of people selling Puretek PT3812
> combos on trademe for around the $100 mark but no one buys them.
> Does anyone know if there is a good reason why?
> I ask because I've been offered one for $93 and on the surface it would
> suit our purposes perfectly.
> Two: If these are *crap* what do people recommend?
> We can either go modem router with a switch or buy one that does all.
> What are the downfalls for having a modem router with a switch, if any?

After the hassles I've had with Puretek branded stuff (mostly analog
modems) I'll never buy another of their products.

The Dick Smith branded ADSL routers seem fine - the warranty is as good
as it gets. I've installed about 25 of them over the last couple of
years and haven't had a failure yet.

--
EMB
change two to number to reply

TEX

Owly wrote:

> Hi,
> Well, now that we've moved to an ADSL friendly area we've signed
> up for Orcon's Jetstart with change to 256k when the UBS comes
> into effect next month deal.
> Two queries:
> One: there seems to be a huge number of people selling Puretek PT3812
> combos on trademe for around the $100 mark but no one buys them.
> Does anyone know if there is a good reason why?
> I ask because I've been offered one for $93 and on the surface it would
> suit our purposes perfectly.
> Two: If these are *crap* what do people recommend?
> We can either go modem router with a switch or buy one that does all.
> What are the downfalls for having a modem router with a switch, if any?
>
> Basically, I'm looking for recommendations as to the best setup keeping
> economy in mind.
>
> TIA
>
> Owly.

I have used a few, and I have noticed that either they will not hold the
settings or just don't work even if the settings are correct. I
personally syspect it is the GUI that is causing the problem. Do
something not quiet in the right order and it throws a spat. Have had to
return a few. Replaced them with DSE ones. Which look just as "cheapy",
but actually are very good.

TEX

Tim

Tex - Look for a firmware update then. These issues usually get sorted.

Configuration issues are a great pain. Many early DSL modems had the
clumsiest configuration methods with Hidden Save config command somewhere so
config was always getting lost because it was not getting saved.

OP:

I turfed out a Nokia for a dynalink (RTA220?) and the config on that could
not be easier, reliable and happy with it. I have had it for 2 months and it
has not gone down yet. Everytime it has gone down is because I have done it.
Once after 31 days.

Obviously the DSE ones are good also since so many people say so.

- Tim

"TEX" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:4136db95$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Owly wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> Well, now that we've moved to an ADSL friendly area we've signed
>> up for Orcon's Jetstart with change to 256k when the UBS comes
>> into effect next month deal.
>> Two queries:
>> One: there seems to be a huge number of people selling Puretek PT3812
>> combos on trademe for around the $100 mark but no one buys them.
>> Does anyone know if there is a good reason why?
>> I ask because I've been offered one for $93 and on the surface it would
>> suit our purposes perfectly.
>> Two: If these are *crap* what do people recommend?
>> We can either go modem router with a switch or buy one that does all.
>> What are the downfalls for having a modem router with a switch, if any?
>>
>> Basically, I'm looking for recommendations as to the best setup keeping
>> economy in mind.
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> Owly.
>>

> I have used a few, and I have noticed that either they will not hold the
> settings or just don't work even if the settings are correct. I personally
> syspect it is the GUI that is causing the problem. Do something not quiet
> in the right order and it throws a spat. Have had to return a few.
> Replaced them with DSE ones. Which look just as "cheapy", but actually are
> very good.
>
> TEX

MarkH

"Owly" <**o.w.l.y**@orcon.nex.nz> wrote in news:1094109799.467758@drone1-
svc-skyt.qsi.net.nz:

> Hi,
> Well, now that we've moved to an ADSL friendly area we've signed
> up for Orcon's Jetstart with change to 256k when the UBS comes
> into effect next month deal.
> Two queries:
> One: there seems to be a huge number of people selling Puretek PT3812
> combos on trademe for around the $100 mark but no one buys them.
> Does anyone know if there is a good reason why?
> I ask because I've been offered one for $93 and on the surface it would
> suit our purposes perfectly.
> Two: If these are *crap* what do people recommend?
> We can either go modem router with a switch or buy one that does all.
> What are the downfalls for having a modem router with a switch, if any?
>
> Basically, I'm looking for recommendations as to the best setup keeping
> economy in mind.

The D-Link DSL-504G is one that I have experience with and found to be
good.

I am not too sure of your budget, but I consider anything under $200 to be
a good economy price. I would be too scared to buy a Router that costs $93
new.

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
See my pics at www.gigatech.co.nz
understand binary and those that don't"

Enkidu

On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 19:22:40 +1200, "Owly" <**o.w.l.y**@orcon.nex.nz>
wrote:

>One: there seems to be a huge number of people selling Puretek PT3812
>combos on trademe for around the $100 mark but no one buys them.
>Does anyone know if there is a good reason why?
>I ask because I've been offered one for $93 and on the surface it would
>suit our purposes perfectly.

I'm wary of them, but had no experience of them myself.

>Two: If these are *crap* what do people recommend?

Not saying they are crap (though I suspect so), I have had a M1122
(good) and a DSL504 (good if not better).

Both external. I've always gone for external, even for dialup. Neither
missed a beat.

Cheers,

Cliff

adsl router to adsl router czar Cisco 2 05-01-2007 05:42 AM
Cisco 3640 NM-4E Westell ADSL Modem & Ambit Cable Modem/Router Half 1/2 Speed Chris Cisco 0 06-04-2006 07:38 PM
Sweex ADSL Annex-A wired ADSL Router Switch Alex Clarke Computer Support 2 10-15-2005 11:34 PM
adsl pci modem, and adsl ethernet modem jameshanley39@yahoo.co.uk Computer Information 8 01-18-2005 03:36 PM

Advertisments