Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > ADSL router with Gigibit Ethernet ???

Reply
Thread Tools

ADSL router with Gigibit Ethernet ???

 
 
Fred
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-01-2004
Does anyone know of an ADSL firewall/router that has a built in Gigabit
(1000MBps) ethernet hub?

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Dave - Dave.net.nz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-01-2004
Fred wrote:
> Does anyone know of an ADSL firewall/router that has a built in Gigabit
> (1000MBps) ethernet hub?


Can't say I do... most of them are made for home use, and have 100Mbit
on offer, so you'll probably have to go higher end for a Gbit one.
Have a look around the cisco site.

--
Dave Hall
http://www.dave.net.nz
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Gurble
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-01-2004
On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 00:59:48 GMT, "Fred" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Does anyone know of an ADSL firewall/router that has a built in Gigabit
>(1000MBps) ethernet hub?


Now, what on earth would be the point of that?

You'd be paying absolutely massive amounts for it (Cisco et al), and,
due to the speed of ADSL, would be a total of 0% faster than a
standard ADSL router combined with a seperate gigabit switch. And the
internet connection itself would be no faster with a gigabit switch
than with a 10/100Mbps switch, or 10Mbps hub, for that matter.

Why do you want it? Is it just so you can tell your friends you have
it, or do you have a practical reason?
 
Reply With Quote
 
Tim
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-01-2004
Save yer dosh and get one with one port, then plug it into an affordable
gigabit switch.

"Fred" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:01c48fc0$846c4f40$6401a8c0@amd450...
> Does anyone know of an ADSL firewall/router that has a built in Gigabit
> (1000MBps) ethernet hub?
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Fred
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-01-2004
Background for those who have a need for more info before actually
addressing the question:
I have 3 machines with gigabit ethernet cards, going to be networked, will
need a hub/switch, firewall, and adsl modem ... obvious first line of
enquiry is to look at all in one solutions. Probably too expensive but
need to weigh up cost/convenience but have still not heard of any examples
to check out.


Dave - Dave.net.nz <dave@no_spam_here_dave.net.nz> wrote in article
<(E-Mail Removed)>...
....
> Can't say I do... most of them are made for home use, and have 100Mbit
> on offer, so you'll probably have to go higher end for a Gbit one.
> Have a look around the cisco site.


Thanks, a likely source, probably more expensive than any available
alternatives, but worth a look just to see if any such beasts exist.


Gurble <(E-Mail Removed)> gurbled in article
<(E-Mail Removed)>...
....
> Now, what on earth would be the point of that?

....
> Why do you want it? Is it just so you can tell your friends you have
> it, or do you have a practical reason?


No, it's not to enhance my pen*s size.


Tim <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in article <ch3ucn$6j6$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Save yer dosh and get one with one port, then plug it into an affordable
> gigabit switch.


Yes, almost certainly the most cost effective solution and probably the way
we will go.


 
Reply With Quote
 
fred
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-01-2004
"Fred" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<01c48fc0$846c4f40$6401a8c0@amd450>...
> Does anyone know of an ADSL firewall/router that has a built in Gigabit
> (1000MBps) ethernet hub?


I see there was a discussion of this in July on uk.telecom.broadband
(search for article http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) in
google groups). At that stage it seemed there were no such beasts
available, despite there being some demand.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Phatputer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-01-2004

"fred" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> "Fred" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:<01c48fc0$846c4f40$6401a8c0@amd450>...
>> Does anyone know of an ADSL firewall/router that has a built in Gigabit
>> (1000MBps) ethernet hub?

>
> I see there was a discussion of this in July on uk.telecom.broadband
> (search for article (E-Mail Removed) in
> google groups). At that stage it seemed there were no such beasts
> available, despite there being some demand.


As far as I can decern all you need is a standard ADSL router, ie 100 base
port on it, get yourself a 5-8port gigabit "Switch" which will allow you to
connect computers up at Gigabit speeds to each other and also talk to
router. As long as its a switch (as far as I know you can't get a Gigabit
hub) then you should be sorted.

Estimate paying between $200-$300 for a 5-8port Gigabit Switch

Cheers
Dave
Please correct me if im wrong with this.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Richard
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-02-2004
Phatputer wrote:

> As far as I can decern all you need is a standard ADSL router, ie 100 base
> port on it, get yourself a 5-8port gigabit "Switch" which will allow you to
> connect computers up at Gigabit speeds to each other and also talk to
> router. As long as its a switch (as far as I know you can't get a Gigabit
> hub) then you should be sorted.
>
> Estimate paying between $200-$300 for a 5-8port Gigabit Switch


yeah, thats the only way, with the inherent problem of another box, a few more
wires and most likly another one of those fairy annoying AC adaptors that hang
off the powerpoint blocking the ones beside it in any normal powerstrip.

Also, look for jumboframe support in any switch you get. In my testing that
speeds up copying large DVD rips etc about 2.5-3 times over gigabit with the
normal frame size. SMC do some with 9k frame support.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
adsl router to adsl router czar Cisco 2 05-01-2007 05:42 AM
(router + adsl modem) versus (router with built in adsl modem) LincolnShep Wireless Networking 3 11-08-2006 03:17 PM
Cisco SOHO 91 Router showing Ethernet 0 instead of Fast Ethernet 0 andyr Cisco 4 04-14-2005 01:12 PM
adsl pci modem, and adsl ethernet modem jameshanley39@yahoo.co.uk Computer Information 8 01-18-2005 03:36 PM
Can 803 (ISDN-ethernet) work ethernet-ethernet? Peter Cisco 2 12-11-2003 11:24 PM



Advertisments