Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > BOINC - SETI & CPDN

BOINC - SETI & CPDN

steve

I've signed up for the CPDN (Climate Prediction Network) project and set the
processing preferences to 67% SETI / 33% CPDN.

On Win98SE, two projects causes the v4.05 GUI client to go into la-la land.
The system remains sluggish until you end the "not responding" BOINC
client.

I haven't yet tried the Win32 CLI client.

On the Linux systems, all appears to work fine and the systems aren't
sluggish in any way.

About a 1/3 of my systems had no WUs from SETI, so I though setting them all
up for the climate project would be a good idea.

Maybe I should have set them to 90/10 (relative processing) but I didn't
want to take too long in returning the CPDN WUs or I wouldn't get any
credit for them.

Divine

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 14:31:36 +1200, steve wrote:

> I've signed up for the CPDN (Climate Prediction Network) project and set the
> processing preferences to 67% SETI / 33% CPDN.

Dude - look for the brand new nz.comp team at CPDN. )

http://climateapps2.oucs.ox.ac.uk/cp...php?teamid=299

> About a 1/3 of my systems had no WUs from SETI, so I though setting them all
> up for the climate project would be a good idea.

I'm inclined to the opinion that Climate Prediction is a better cause than
looking for aliens.

I'll finish crunching my SETI WUs on the only box that managed to get
uncorrupted WUs (about another week's work), and then I'm gonna move all
my boxen over to CPDN. Hopefully their setup will be much more stable.

Divine

--
"Even the most fanatical Microsoft supporter has to see that Longhorn has
become Shorthorn."

steve

Divine wrote:

> On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 14:31:36 +1200, steve wrote:
>
>> I've signed up for the CPDN (Climate Prediction Network) project and set
>> the processing preferences to 67% SETI / 33% CPDN.

> Dude - look for the brand new nz.comp team at CPDN. )
>
> http://climateapps2.oucs.ox.ac.uk/cp...php?teamid=299

OK! I'm all joined up. I guess I'll show when I actually get some credits. I
have 6 systems working on it 33% of the time, so it should be soon.

>> About a 1/3 of my systems had no WUs from SETI, so I though setting them
>> all up for the climate project would be a good idea.

> I'm inclined to the opinion that Climate Prediction is a better cause than
> looking for aliens.
>
> I'll finish crunching my SETI WUs on the only box that managed to get
> uncorrupted WUs (about another week's work), and then I'm gonna move all
> my boxen over to CPDN. Hopefully their setup will be much more stable.

When SETI came along, I thought: "I'll stick with that as long as they run
it."....and have been running flat out 24/7 on at least 7 systems (max was
11) for over 5 years.

So even moving 33% of that resource away is a HUGE step for me.

AD.

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 16:10:29 +1200, Divine wrote:

> I'm inclined to the opinion that Climate Prediction is a better cause than
> looking for aliens.

Hell, why try to predict it? With all those cpu cycles, you could try
altering it!!!

Cheers
Anton

Divine

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 19:40:01 +1200, steve wrote:

> When SETI came along, I thought: "I'll stick with that as long as they
> run it."....and have been running flat out 24/7 on at least 7 systems
> (max was 11) for over 5 years.
>
> So even moving 33% of that resource away is a HUGE step for me.

Cool!

It appears that the groups at CPDN don't have as many people per group. I
think that we'd stand a good chance of achieving a reasonably good
position.

SETI - I'm contemplating just dumping it altogether in favour of CPDN,
given that there are AGAIN server problems preventing upload of SETI
results. (

Divine

--

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 20:16:25 +1200, AD. wrote:

>> I'm inclined to the opinion that Climate Prediction is a better cause than
>> looking for aliens.

> Hell, why try to predict it? With all those cpu cycles, you could try
> altering it!!!

LOL - global warming through massive heat discharge from Intel Pentium 4
CPUs. ;o)

Divine

--

Divine wrote:

> SETI - I'm contemplating just dumping it altogether in favour of CPDN,
> given that there are AGAIN server problems preventing upload of SETI
> results. (

The results info at CPDN works fine.

It helped me debug the fact that my Debian "Woody" mail server (very
stripped down software set) was actually failing at a critical point in the
WU processing due to a library it expected to be there not being there.

About 6 CPDN Wus had failed with "client error"...and included the
information from the failed program.

I did an apt-get install on the base glibc package....and it's all sorted
now.

If that had happened with SETI...I would never have known what the problem
was because they have turned the results info off.

Divine

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 22:11:14 +1200, steve wrote:

> The results info at CPDN works fine.

Yeah!

> It helped me debug the fact that my Debian "Woody" mail server (very
> stripped down software set) was actually failing at a critical point in the
> WU processing due to a library it expected to be there not being there.
>
> About 6 CPDN Wus had failed with "client error"...and included the
> information from the failed program.
>
> I did an apt-get install on the base glibc package....and it's all sorted
> now.
>
> If that had happened with SETI...I would never have known what the problem
> was because they have turned the results info off.

Yeah - I dunno why that should be the case. (

Perhaps CPDN figured out some stuff that the people at SETI have yet to
get their brains around?

Divine

--

Divine wrote:

>> If that had happened with SETI...I would never have known what the
>> problem was because they have turned the results info off.

> Yeah - I dunno why that should be the case. (
>
> Perhaps CPDN figured out some stuff that the people at SETI have yet to
> get their brains around?

I think it's partly a scale issue.

CPDN has about 5,000 users right now...and I gather that S@H's BOINC beta
ran fairly well with more users than that.

But when they went to 50,000.....the system choked. Just too many doing too
much. We may see the same with CPND if it ever becomes as populars as the
SETI project on the BOINC platform.

....and to ensure I'm on topic: Isn't nz.comp great?

Dave - Dave.net.nz

steve wrote:
> ....and to ensure I'm on topic: Isn't nz.comp great?

yeah... it sure is.

--
Dave Hall
http://www.dave.net.nz