Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > BOINC version 4.05 - The skinny.

BOINC version 4.05 - The skinny.

~misfit~

Here is the absolute latest from Rom Walton, a senior programmer with
Berkeley:

"For those who want to get a jump start on the 4.x upgrade, go ahead
and signup to CPDN and upgrade the client. Then when S@H has upgraded
to the 4.x version you'll automatically start downloading S@H
workunits."

For those that missed it here is the link to version 4.05 of Boinc:
http://climateapps2.oucs.ox.ac.uk/cp...c/download.php
You do NOT need to sign up, just download and then install right over
your current version. After it installs it will try to connect but of
course will error out with "no schedulers responded" or "You need major
version 3".

However, as I haven't had any WUs for a while anyway I'm going to 4.05 on
all my machines. It seems that there won't be any other work for the 3.x
clients anyway.

The latest news from the website:

August 28, 2004
The migration plan has been reschedule for tomorrow the 29th at 10am PDT. We
have brought down the scheduler and file upload handler until the migration
happens to give the splitters and transitioners time to produce enough
workunits and results to send out after the migration when the clients reset
themselves.

August 27, 2004
Well the last set of hardware issues have been resolved. Due to the time of
day and other factors the upgrade will be delayed until at least tomorrow
morning. We'll post the revised schedule as soon as plans have been firmed
up.

August 27, 2004
We are currently experiencing a hardware issue with our scheduling server,
we expect this issues resolved within the hour. The upgrade to 4.x will
start around 11am PDT and will take roughly an hour. Anybody who has any
remaining results to report should get them in before the upgrade, after the
upgrade you'll need the 4.x clients to report new results, and upgrading to
the 4.x client will reset the project on your machine. Roughly 100,000
results are queued up and ready to be sent out after the upgrade, plus the
three splitters will be up and running producing work as quickly as
possible.

So my suggestion to team members is, if you don't have any WUs or just have
'stuck' WUs (they will never go through BTW) it would probably be a good
idea to upgrade to version 4.05. Your choice, however Rom Walton is a senior
progammer for BOINC at Berkeley and if he says it's the way to get a jump on
the WUs I'll believe him.

One thing, the client will try a few times then say "Will retry in 1 day".
You may want to manually update before that. Or not, if you set it up now.

Does anyone know when "10am PDT on the 29th" is in NZ time?

Happy crunching!
--
~misfit~

Dogg

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 11:51:25 +1200, "~misfit~"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

<snip>

>However, as I haven't had any WUs for a while anyway I'm going to 4.05 on
>all my machines. It seems that there won't be any other work for the 3.x
>clients anyway.

<snip>

Same here. I'm getting "No schedulers responded" currently but when
the 4.x work units start coming in it'll be crunching city!

~misfit~

Dogg wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 11:51:25 +1200, "~misfit~"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>

>> However, as I haven't had any WUs for a while anyway I'm going to
>> 4.05 on all my machines. It seems that there won't be any other work
>> for the 3.x clients anyway.
>>

> <snip>
>
> Same here. I'm getting "No schedulers responded" currently but when
> the 4.x work units start coming in it'll be crunching city!

Yep, gotta get the jump on the other thousands of people who will be
installing the 4.05 client when it's posted on the SETI site.

I can see that my current hold on P2 in the nz.comp group is gonna be under
threat with all those machines you have running. Dave is climbing up there
too.
--
~misfit~

steve

~misfit~ wrote:

> "For those who want to get a jump start on the 4.x upgrade, go ahead
> and signup to CPDN and upgrade the client. Then when S@H has upgraded
> to the 4.x version you'll automatically start downloading S@H
> workunits."

Ta, misfit.

Downloading 4.05 now.

Divine

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 11:51:25 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:

> For those that missed it here is the link to version 4.05 of Boinc:
> http://climateapps2.oucs.ox.ac.uk/cp...c/download.php
> You do NOT need to sign up, just download and then install right over
> your current version. After it installs it will try to connect but of
> course will error out with "no schedulers responded" or "You need major
> version 3".

I downloaded and compiled the boinc_client 4.06.

Can't seem to find good source code for Seti-Boinc (non-classic) that will
compile for Linux on the x86_64 platform. (

Divine

--
43 - for those who require slightly more than the answer to life, the universe
and everything.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

~misfit~ wrote:
> I can see that my current hold on P2 in the nz.comp group is gonna be under
> threat with all those machines you have running. Dave is climbing up there
> too.

the difference would be a damn site smaller if I could upload completed
units... my home machine has 25, and the work one another 30 odd.

~misfit~

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
> ~misfit~ wrote:
>> I can see that my current hold on P2 in the nz.comp group is gonna
>> be under threat with all those machines you have running. Dave is
>> climbing up there too.

> the difference would be a damn site smaller if I could upload
> completed units... my home machine has 25, and the work one another
> 30 odd.

Ummm, yeah. I had a big bunch of those too. I think those could be what are
being refered to in this gem from the SETI site:

*****************************

August 26, 2004
We fixed the bogus URL bug and all servers are back up. If your cache is
empty of all valid workunits and you have any of the bogus workunits, then
reset the project.

August 26, 2004
We have brought down the splitters, transitioners, and scheduler until a bug
in the splitter can be resolved which was causing a bogus URL to be posted
for the work-unit.

****************************

I asked a few people "in the know" what was meant by "bogus workunits" and
was told that, if they won't upload, they're bogus workunits. They're trying
to upload to a URL that doesn't exist. Sorry to say old son that they were a
waste of time, they aren't going anywhere. If I was you I'd reset the
project or just install 4.05 which resets it anyway.
--
~misfit~

Dogg

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 11:51:25 +1200, "~misfit~"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

<snippity doo daa>

Upgraded all my machines to 4.05 and one of them actually got some
WU's this morning!

Bret

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 12:53:18 +1200, Dogg
<doggnz@SPAM_SUCKS.hotmail.SPAM_IS_GAY.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 11:51:25 +1200, "~misfit~"
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
><snippity doo daa>
>
>Upgraded all my machines to 4.05 and one of them actually got some
>WU's this morning!

I got 10 about lunchtime, so I'm away again.

steve

Dogg wrote:

> On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 11:51:25 +1200, "~misfit~"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> <snippity doo daa>
>
> Upgraded all my machines to 4.05 and one of them actually got some
> WU's this morning!

All mine have WUs now.

One must have had some of the bogus WUs as it would not download any new
ones until I deleted all the files (except the executable) and reset the
project on that system.

It then registered on the BOINC site as a new system, but I was able to
"merge" its previous incarnation into the new system using the "merge"
option.