Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > where do i fingd the chanel number

where do i fingd the chanel number

geepeetee

Hi

Trying to do some trouble shooting on my wireless connection, and have been
told to check what channel they are using. I have tried all the obvious
places but no good.

The cards are a dlink 510 pci and 610 pcmcia.

Thanks

Gary

--
Visit my websites at
www.justjents.co.uk

=?Utf-8?B?cHV0bmlr?=

I found mine when I ran a program called Network Stumbler, but it must be in
the router setup surely?

"geepeetee" wrote:

> Hi
>
> Trying to do some trouble shooting on my wireless connection, and have been
> told to check what channel they are using. I have tried all the obvious
> places but no good.
>
> The cards are a dlink 510 pci and 610 pcmcia.
>
> Thanks
>
> Gary
>
> --
> Visit my websites at
> www.justjents.co.uk
> www.recumbent.50megs.com

Malke

geepeetee wrote:

> Hi
>
> Trying to do some trouble shooting on my wireless connection, and have
> been
> told to check what channel they are using. I have tried all the
> obvious places but no good.
>
> The cards are a dlink 510 pci and 610 pcmcia.

I don't know where "the obvious (to you) places" are, but the channel
setting will be in the router's configurations. Access the router by
typing its IP address into a browser. Use a machine that is wired to do
this so you don't lose connectivity when you make the setting change.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

=?Utf-8?B?SGVhZGNhc2U=?=

I use two D-link wireless adapters myself and these were both on channel 8 by
default as was my router. If you can't get into your router configuration as
suggested by putnik and malke, try using the adapter configuration utility
which should have been installed from the disk supplied. To get the D-Link
utility to work you must first disable Windows ability to configure network
settings. To do this (in Windows XP) right click on the wireless network
connection icon in the notification area. Click on "view available wireless
networks". Click on "change advanced settings" in related tasks. Click on the
"wireless networks" tab. Uncheck the "use windows to configure my wireless
network settings" box. You should now be able to use your adapter
configuration utility to find and change channels. In my case a desktop
shortcut and a notification area icon were created for this utility when I
ran the D-Link install disc.