Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Buying from EBay

Buying from EBay

John

I'm looking for a legal second hand copy of Photoshop 7, or CS to
purchase.

Browsing though EBay I notice many copies of this software for sale in
the USA. Tempted to purchase but concerned that I might end up with an
copy that's not legal.

Is there anyone in the group that has purchased from EBay, and if so,
is there any safeguards that can be taken not to be ripped off?

Regards,
John.

Patrick Bold

news:1xq4mdszt69au$.1srdgjkyiymi8$(E-Mail Removed). ..

> I'm looking for a legal second hand copy of Photoshop 7, or CS to
> purchase.
>
> Browsing though EBay I notice many copies of this software for sale in
> the USA. Tempted to purchase but concerned that I might end up with an
> copy that's not legal.
>
> Is there anyone in the group that has purchased from EBay, and if so,
> is there any safeguards that can be taken not to be ripped off?

EBay is a well-established operation. Auction scams are "common" in the
sense that there are enough of them to make you wary, but yes -- there
are safeguards. Look for items that include a detailed description of
what's on offer -- pictures are always helpful. Then look for sellers
who a) have a solid feeback history, b) respond willingly to your
pointed questions, and c) offer PayPal protection -- standard coverage
is US$500. In the worst-case scenario, you'll face a tiresome claims
process, but with software packages it shouldn't be difficult in the end
to establish whether or not you received the goods you paid for.

John

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 11:31:24 -0400, Patrick Bold wrote:

> news:1xq4mdszt69au$.1srdgjkyiymi8$(E-Mail Removed). ..
>
>> I'm looking for a legal second hand copy of Photoshop 7, or CS to
>> purchase.
>>
>> Browsing though EBay I notice many copies of this software for sale in
>> the USA. Tempted to purchase but concerned that I might end up with an
>> copy that's not legal.
>>
>> Is there anyone in the group that has purchased from EBay, and if so,
>> is there any safeguards that can be taken not to be ripped off?
>>

> EBay is a well-established operation. Auction scams are "common" in the
> sense that there are enough of them to make you wary, but yes -- there
> are safeguards. Look for items that include a detailed description of
> what's on offer -- pictures are always helpful. Then look for sellers
> who a) have a solid feeback history, b) respond willingly to your
> pointed questions, and c) offer PayPal protection -- standard coverage
> is US$500. In the worst-case scenario, you'll face a tiresome claims
> process, but with software packages it shouldn't be difficult in the end
> to establish whether or not you received the goods you paid for.

Thanks Patrick,
After reading your helpful reply I've joined both eBay, and PayPal

Asked a question of the seller on one auction, but as of yet haven't
received a reply. From my reading on eBay, if a question is asked of
the seller, the seller replies via private email, unlike TradeMe in
NZ...is that correct?

Again, thanks for the help and information.

Regards,
John.

texan.usenet@texasremovethisbit.usa.com

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 18:44:15 +1200, John <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I'm looking for a legal second hand copy of Photoshop 7, or CS to
>purchase.
>
>Browsing though EBay I notice many copies of this software for sale in
>the USA. Tempted to purchase but concerned that I might end up with an
>copy that's not legal.
>
>Is there anyone in the group that has purchased from EBay, and if so,
>is there any safeguards that can be taken not to be ripped off?
>
>Regards,
>John.

Ask plenty of questions!
I bought a programme without thinking about the PAC.
It wasn't until I went to register it that I knew any thing about it.
I emailed the seller back who told me he was sold them without the
PAC.

But do check their feedback thoroughly...

Cath

texan.usenet@texasremovethisbit.usa.com

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 08:20:44 +1200, John <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
[msge snipped]

>Asked a question of the seller on one auction, but as of yet haven't
>received a reply. From my reading on eBay, if a question is asked of
>the seller, the seller replies via private email, unlike TradeMe in
>NZ...is that correct?
>
>Again, thanks for the help and information.
>
>Regards,
>John.

Yes, the seller should contact you directly to answer your questions
however, some don't!
Thankfully ebay does not charge to ask questions - unlike Trademe.

Whatever you do, ask for the total cost of shipping and if it includes
insurance etc. Overseas shipping can be very expensive from the US.

Cath

John

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 16:10:16 -0500,

> On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 18:44:15 +1200, John <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I'm looking for a legal second hand copy of Photoshop 7, or CS to
>>purchase.
>>
>>Browsing though EBay I notice many copies of this software for sale in
>>the USA. Tempted to purchase but concerned that I might end up with an
>>copy that's not legal.
>>
>>Is there anyone in the group that has purchased from EBay, and if so,
>>is there any safeguards that can be taken not to be ripped off?
>>
>>Regards,
>>John.

> Ask plenty of questions!
> I bought a programme without thinking about the PAC.
> It wasn't until I went to register it that I knew any thing about it.
> I emailed the seller back who told me he was sold them without the
> PAC.
>
> But do check their feedback thoroughly...
>
> Cath

What do you mean by PAC?

Regards,
John.

John

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 16:10:20 -0500,
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 08:20:44 +1200, John <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> [msge snipped]
>
>>Asked a question of the seller on one auction, but as of yet haven't
>>received a reply. From my reading on eBay, if a question is asked of
>>the seller, the seller replies via private email, unlike TradeMe in
>>NZ...is that correct?
>>
>>Again, thanks for the help and information.
>>
>>Regards,
>>John.

> Yes, the seller should contact you directly to answer your questions
> however, some don't!
> Thankfully ebay does not charge to ask questions - unlike Trademe.
>
> Whatever you do, ask for the total cost of shipping and if it includes
> insurance etc. Overseas shipping can be very expensive from the US.
>
> Cath

Tell me about it I'm trying to get an Nikon rubber eyecup for my
camera that can only be sourced from the US. The cost of the eyecup is
under $7us but the shipping is $26us. This for a small piece of rubber
about the same size as a women's thumb.
On the other hand I get large books sent over for under $10us from
Amazon. Doesn't make sense.

Regards,
John.

Chris

John wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 16:10:20 -0500,
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>

>>On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 08:20:44 +1200, John <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>[msge snipped]
>>

>>>Asked a question of the seller on one auction, but as of yet haven't
>>>received a reply. From my reading on eBay, if a question is asked of
>>>the seller, the seller replies via private email, unlike TradeMe in
>>>NZ...is that correct?
>>>
>>>Again, thanks for the help and information.
>>>
>>>Regards,
>>>John.

>>Yes, the seller should contact you directly to answer your questions
>>however, some don't!
>>Thankfully ebay does not charge to ask questions - unlike Trademe.
>>
>>Whatever you do, ask for the total cost of shipping and if it includes
>>insurance etc. Overseas shipping can be very expensive from the US.
>>
>>Cath

> Tell me about it I'm trying to get an Nikon rubber eyecup for my
> camera that can only be sourced from the US. The cost of the eyecup is
> under $7us but the shipping is $26us. This for a small piece of rubber
> about the same size as a women's thumb.
> On the other hand I get large books sent over for under $10us from
> Amazon. Doesn't make sense.
>
> Regards,
> John.

Most likely Amazon ships in bulk to distribution centers like Dell does
and from there it is shipped locally. The shipping would be calculated
in $USD from Amazon in the USA but the rates Amazon would be paying
would be much less than normal. DHL offer that kind of service.

--
__
OK, whats below this text is not added by me, it's added by

thing

John wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 11:31:24 -0400, Patrick Bold wrote:
>

>>"John" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:1xq4mdszt69au$.1srdgjkyiymi8$(E-Mail Removed) t...
>>

>>>I'm looking for a legal second hand copy of Photoshop 7, or CS to
>>>purchase.
>>>
>>>Browsing though EBay I notice many copies of this software for sale in
>>>the USA. Tempted to purchase but concerned that I might end up with an
>>>copy that's not legal.
>>>
>>>Is there anyone in the group that has purchased from EBay, and if so,
>>>is there any safeguards that can be taken not to be ripped off?
>>>

>>EBay is a well-established operation. Auction scams are "common" in the
>>sense that there are enough of them to make you wary, but yes -- there
>>are safeguards. Look for items that include a detailed description of
>>what's on offer -- pictures are always helpful. Then look for sellers
>>who a) have a solid feeback history, b) respond willingly to your
>>pointed questions, and c) offer PayPal protection -- standard coverage
>>is US$500. In the worst-case scenario, you'll face a tiresome claims
>>process, but with software packages it shouldn't be difficult in the end
>>to establish whether or not you received the goods you paid for.

> Thanks Patrick,
> After reading your helpful reply I've joined both eBay, and PayPal
>
> Asked a question of the seller on one auction, but as of yet haven't
> received a reply. From my reading on eBay, if a question is asked of
> the seller, the seller replies via private email, unlike TradeMe in
> NZ...is that correct?
>
> Again, thanks for the help and information.
>
> Regards,
> John.

Also ask if they will ship to NZ and the approx cost. Many will not and
those that do, I have found charge a huge amount. Its not thier fault
but that of Fedex etc. I once had 5 drives shipped only to find them all
dead, I shipped them back and the cost was 50% of what it cost to ship
over...so do watch it.

regards

Thing

Karen Parker

wrote:

>On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 08:20:44 +1200, John <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>[msge snipped]
>
>>Asked a question of the seller on one auction, but as of yet haven't
>>received a reply. From my reading on eBay, if a question is asked of
>>the seller, the seller replies via private email, unlike TradeMe in
>>NZ...is that correct?
>>
>>Again, thanks for the help and information.
>>
>>Regards,
>>John.

>Yes, the seller should contact you directly to answer your questions
>however, some don't!
>Thankfully ebay does not charge to ask questions - unlike Trademe.
>
>Whatever you do, ask for the total cost of shipping and if it includes
>insurance etc. Overseas shipping can be very expensive from the US.
>
>Cath

One thing I have seen a few posts on about eBay and Software, is that some of
it was Chinese copies..

So be careful..

Have you tried Trade & Exchange..?

Ebay buying SkyPE PhilÅ UK VOIP 3 09-12-2005 01:05 PM
Buying camera gear on eBay PeterH Digital Photography 13 03-06-2004 03:54 PM
Battery buying on Ebay Doc Digital Photography 15 01-23-2004 10:47 AM

Advertisments