Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Another Excel query

Another Excel query

KiwiBrian

I have a 2000 row database with one of the columns containing an index
number between 1 and 30.
This is to enable the extraction of all records having the same index number
into 30 seperate files.
I assume that what I want to find/aquire/write is a script that will enable
the automatic (in one operation) extraction of the 30 different
mini-databases, saving them in the same folder as the source, and named
1.xls to 30.xls.
Can anyone give me any pointers as to how I might achieve my end objective,
and whether I am going about this the right way?
Thanks
Brian Tozer

Patrick Bold

"KiwiBrian" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cgntr7$vv2$(E-Mail Removed)...

>I have a 2000 row database with one of the columns containing an index
> number between 1 and 30.
> This is to enable the extraction of all records having the same index
> number
> into 30 seperate files.
> I assume that what I want to find/aquire/write is a script that will
> enable
> the automatic (in one operation) extraction of the 30 different
> mini-databases, saving them in the same folder as the source, and
> named
> 1.xls to 30.xls.
> Can anyone give me any pointers as to how I might achieve my end
> objective,
> and whether I am going about this the right way?

Let me first of all recommend two excellent newsgroup that specialize in
the kind of questions you're asking:

microsoft.public.excel.programming
microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

With both these groups, you'll find a very willing collection of experts
who can guide you. But you'll also find that the quality of help you
receive is in direct proportion to the amount of effort you put in
yourself to learning. From my own experience, I'd say that much the same
principle applies to nz.comp. So do yourself a favor -- open the Excel
Help files, maybe grab yourself a copy of an introductory book on VBA
for Excel, and dive in. That's how you'll begin to figure out whether or
not you're "going about this the right way" -- and also whether or not
the advice you're getting is appropriate for your needs.

To get you started on this particular problem, try recording a macro in
which you 1) use the Data | Filter menu commands to select on each of
the index values you have and 2) copy the filtered data to a new
worksheet. See if this mimics what you're after. Then have a look at the
"For Each...." structure in VBA to repeat the procedure for values 1-30.

KiwiBrian

"Patrick Bold" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "KiwiBrian" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:cgntr7$vv2$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> >I have a 2000 row database with one of the columns containing an index
> > number between 1 and 30.
> > This is to enable the extraction of all records having the same index
> > number
> > into 30 seperate files.
> > I assume that what I want to find/aquire/write is a script that will
> > enable
> > the automatic (in one operation) extraction of the 30 different
> > mini-databases, saving them in the same folder as the source, and
> > named
> > 1.xls to 30.xls.
> > Can anyone give me any pointers as to how I might achieve my end
> > objective,
> > and whether I am going about this the right way?

> Let me first of all recommend two excellent newsgroup that specialize in
> the kind of questions you're asking:
>
> microsoft.public.excel.programming
> microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
>
> With both these groups, you'll find a very willing collection of experts
> who can guide you. But you'll also find that the quality of help you
> receive is in direct proportion to the amount of effort you put in
> yourself to learning. From my own experience, I'd say that much the same
> principle applies to nz.comp. So do yourself a favor -- open the Excel
> Help files, maybe grab yourself a copy of an introductory book on VBA
> for Excel, and dive in. That's how you'll begin to figure out whether or
> not you're "going about this the right way" -- and also whether or not
> the advice you're getting is appropriate for your needs.
>
> To get you started on this particular problem, try recording a macro in
> which you 1) use the Data | Filter menu commands to select on each of
> the index values you have and 2) copy the filtered data to a new
> worksheet. See if this mimics what you're after. Then have a look at the
> "For Each...." structure in VBA to repeat the procedure for values 1-30.

Thanks Patrick for your superb reply.
I am up and running now.
Well, crawling anyway.......

Brian Tozer

Peter

Patrick Bold wrote:
> Let me first of all recommend two excellent newsgroup that specialize in
> the kind of questions you're asking:
> microsoft.public.excel.programming
> microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

and also ...
comp.apps.spreadsheets

and even ...
http://www.j-walk.com/ss/