Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > how do I block websites with firefox

how do I block websites with firefox

Shekhar Rege Shekhar Rege is offline
Junior Member

patriciaj102, I had the same issue with www.miniclip.com
This double entry fixed it for me. Good luck!
127.0.0.1 www.miniclip.com
127.0.0.1 miniclip.com

asilayasi asilayasi is offline
Junior Member

maybe you could use this program:

http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4416..._J_Dark_Shadow

P.S.: It is a freeware, not a warez-crack-illegal thing...

t4tipu t4tipu is offline
Junior Member

jaxov.com/2009/08/how-to-block-websites-in-internet-explorer-and-mozilla-firefox/

siennal siennal is offline
Junior Member

Use FF add-ons to block sites but they are not a complete way and easy to get around by changing the setting or reinstalling the browser.
The safest way is to use a Aobo web filter.But they are NOT FREE. You can add the websites you don't want to visit to blacklist or just set keywords to block websites. And it works in stealth mode, and won't show in the task manager. It has password protection so that no one can change your settings without password.

DrStrangelove DrStrangelove is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwtc
Jerry wrote:

> I want to block some websites that my kids go to. I use Firefox and
> firefox does not use a host file

what do you mean "Firefox does not use a host file?" Sure it does. It
works great with mine. It works with any program that is connected to
the internet. Maybe you just don't know how to use it properly.
Host file or not, why not give Jerry some tips on how to use it properly instead of putting him down? That would be helpful & this is the forum for this kind of assistance. (Jerry: I'd explain it, but I have no clue what a host file is or how to use it, either. I just want to simply learn how to block certain websites per the dreaded google re-direct trojan/worm apart from fixing/blocking the trojan itself.) The best of luck to you both. (Be nice. Be helpful. ...& have a beer! Sheesh!)

TimEh TimEh is offline
Junior Member

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...don/blocksite/

"Block Websites" add-on from Mozilla.org

cody2382 cody2382 is offline
Junior Member

If editing your hosts file does not work or you don't feel that you are doing it right, you may want to try something like 123BlockMe. It's free and you won't have to worry about if you set up your hosts file correctly.

Lisa12 Lisa12 is offline
Junior Member

I personally do it with software because my soon has found a way to get around blockade solutions that are here mentioned. I use this one: http://www.goldlimiter.com

pokohantes pokohantes is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Graham View Post
okay im way frustrated, editing the host file blocks in internet explorer, but not in firefox, i tried it. i tried blocking google and in internet explorer it is blocked, but in firefox it still works..... WHAT CAN I DO!!!!
Hi, You can use this Add-Ons
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...ersion=0.7.1.1

I used and it's working properly in firefox.
good luck

tc32628 tc32628 is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
I want to block some websites that my kids go to. I use Firefox and
firefox does not use a host file
I know nothing about host files, but I do know exactly what you mean. In internet explorer there is an option to block websites (Tools, Internet Options, Security, Restricted Sites).

I see no such option in Firefox 6.0. If there is, it is well hidden.

Guess if you want to continue using firefox and block sites, you will need a third party add-on or equivalent.

IE 8 is faster to load and has fewer problems than Firefox 6.0.

I recommend IE8 or Google Chrome. You can watch Neflix with IE8, but not with Chrome. Also a few banking sites don't seem to work well with Chrome.

Otherwise just keep reading all the nonsense and try about a zillion things that usually don't work anyhow.

If you can't find an answer to your question in the Mozilla Support Website in just a few minutes, you can spend the rest of your life reading suggestions from people that like to hear themselves talk.

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/home