Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > how do I block websites with firefox

how do I block websites with firefox

Jerry

I want to block some websites that my kids go to. I use Firefox and
firefox does not use a host file

gwtc

Jerry wrote:

> I want to block some websites that my kids go to. I use Firefox and
> firefox does not use a host file

what do you mean "Firefox does not use a host file?" Sure it does. It
works great with mine. It works with any program that is connected to
the internet. Maybe you just don't know how to use it properly.

Jerry wrote:
> I want to block some websites that my kids go to. I use Firefox and
> firefox does not use a host file

You have many options:

1. Third-party site-blocking software
2. Add entries in the hosts file
3. Get a router, or if you already have one, use it to block access to
various web sites.
4. ...

Jerry wrote:
> I want to block some websites that my kids go to. I use Firefox and
> firefox does not use a host file

Sure it does.

You're running Windows XP.

Be logged in as a privileged user.

Open a DOS command window, type:
notepad C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

Put the following line in hosts:
127.0.0.1 www.google.com

File > Save.

Now try to open http://www.google.com with any web browser on the PC.

Remove the line you added from hosts to restore access to the Googl;e
web site

Ed Mullen

Jerry wrote:
> I want to block some websites that my kids go to. I use Firefox and
> firefox does not use a host file

Firefox has nothing to do with it. A Hosts file is a Windows-level
function. If a Hosts file is present and has correct entries in it NO
browser on your system will be able to access those entries: Windows
prevents it.

http://www.google.com/search?num=50&...le&btnG=Search
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hosts_file

- You can download a Hosts file
(http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm) and use it "as is" or edit it.
- You can create your own Hosts file by editing the sample Windows
provides (C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts.sam)

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

gwtc

Ed Mullen wrote:

> Jerry wrote:
>
>>I want to block some websites that my kids go to. I use Firefox and
>>firefox does not use a host file

> Firefox has nothing to do with it. A Hosts file is a Windows-level
> function. If a Hosts file is present and has correct entries in it NO
> browser on your system will be able to access those entries: Windows
> prevents it.
>
> http://www.google.com/search?num=50&...le&btnG=Search
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hosts_file
>
> - You can download a Hosts file
> (http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm) and use it "as is" or edit it.
> - You can create your own Hosts file by editing the sample Windows
> provides (C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts.sam)

I'll also add to your last entry Ed, that you should save it as a text
file and without any extension.

Ed Mullen

gwtc wrote:

>> - You can create your own Hosts file by editing the sample Windows
>> provides (C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts.sam)
>>

> I'll also add to your last entry Ed, that you should save it as a text
> file and without any extension.

Yup! Good one.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Tom Graham Tom Graham is offline
Junior Member

okay im way frustrated, editing the host file blocks in internet explorer, but not in firefox, i tried it. i tried blocking google and in internet explorer it is blocked, but in firefox it still works..... WHAT CAN I DO!!!!

BigAlHurl BigAlHurl is offline
Junior Member

I have had success with these.

www.google.com
www.myspace.com

I have tried for hours to block these sites by entering them into my hosts file.

www.craigslist.com
www.craigslist.org
richmond.craigslist.org
richmond.craigslist.org/cas
richmond.craigslist.org/w4m
richmond.craigslist.org/m4w
richmond.craigslist.org/w4w

and the list goes on.

WHAT GIVES?!?!

Can someone else try this and tell me its possible?

I would like to redirect these attempts to others sites like
disney.com
nick.com
cartoonnetwork.com
etc...
( you know for shits and giggles)

patriciaj102 patriciaj102 is offline
Junior Member

I have tried multiple times to block a website in my hosts file but it won't work in Firefox OR Internet Explorer. What am I doing wrong? Here is my host file:

Code:
# Copyright (c) 1993-2004 Microsoft Corp.
#
# AutoGenerated by Microsoft (R) Windows (R) Malicious Software Removal Tool.
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
#      102.54.94.97     rhino.acme.com          # source server
#       38.25.63.10     x.acme.com              # x client host

127.0.0.1       localhost

127.0.0.1       www.miniclip.com
Am I doing something wrong or what? Why isn't this working?