Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Windows reboots at splash screen after SP2 install

Windows reboots at splash screen after SP2 install

Graeme Woollett

I very unwisely installed SP2 last night on my KT333 XP home based
system, now my machine automatically reboots itself each time at the
windows splash screen.
The most secure version of windows I've seen yet!
Is anyone else having this particular problem and if so how do you fix
it, apart from starting again from scratch?
How could even Microsoft f--k things up this badly?
I'd least I can boot Linux and get my files off the toasted windows
partition...

Thanks
Graeme

Brett Roberts

"Graeme Woollett" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cgljp4$26fe$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I very unwisely installed SP2 last night on my KT333 XP home based system,
>now my machine automatically reboots itself each time at the windows splash
>screen.
> The most secure version of windows I've seen yet!
> Is anyone else having this particular problem and if so how do you fix it,
> apart from starting again from scratch?
> How could even Microsoft f--k things up this badly?
> I'd least I can boot Linux and get my files off the toasted windows
> partition...
>
> Thanks
> Graeme

You can get free phone-based SP2 support by calling 0800 800-004 (Monday to
Friday, 9am to 5pm). This might be worth a read too:

http://www.mcse.ms/message959205.html

Brett Roberts
Microsoft NZ

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Graeme Woollett wrote:

> I very unwisely installed SP2 last night on my KT333 XP home based
> system, now my machine automatically reboots itself each time at the
> windows splash screen.
> The most secure version of windows I've seen yet!
> Is anyone else having this particular problem and if so how do you fix
> it, apart from starting again from scratch?
> How could even Microsoft f--k things up this badly?
> I'd least I can boot Linux and get my files off the toasted windows
> partition...

But surely you did backups prior to doing a major system update?
and you checked that all the software works with SP2?
Do you use Norton System Works/Norton AV(prior to 2003 version)? it
causes a blue screen with XPSP2 unless you have the latest updates.

--
Dave Hall
http://www.dave.net.nz

Graeme Woollett

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
> Graeme Woollett wrote:
>
>> I very unwisely installed SP2 last night on my KT333 XP home based
>> system, now my machine automatically reboots itself each time at the
>> windows splash screen.
>> The most secure version of windows I've seen yet!
>> Is anyone else having this particular problem and if so how do you fix
>> it, apart from starting again from scratch?
>> How could even Microsoft f--k things up this badly?
>> I'd least I can boot Linux and get my files off the toasted windows
>> partition...

> But surely you did backups prior to doing a major system update?
> and you checked that all the software works with SP2?
> Do you use Norton System Works/Norton AV(prior to 2003 version)? it
> causes a blue screen with XPSP2 unless you have the latest updates.

No don't use Norton.
Not a an entirely useful reply Dave, do you really expect mainstream
Windows users to be able to backup & restore their systems when XP SP2
goes astray? The only people that I see winning here are the computer
repair shops. Sorry Brett, BIMHO Microsoft have been far too hasty in
releasing this service update to the masses.

Graeme

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Graeme Woollett wrote:
>> But surely you did backups prior to doing a major system update?
>> and you checked that all the software works with SP2?
>> Do you use Norton System Works/Norton AV(prior to 2003 version)? it
>> causes a blue screen with XPSP2 unless you have the latest updates.

> No don't use Norton.
> Not a an entirely useful reply Dave, do you really expect mainstream
> Windows users to be able to backup & restore their systems when XP SP2
> goes astray?

ok, so the backup comment was a dig, they always should be made before
something like this. But the rest of my reply was serious, SP2 will
cause it to blue screen, and they are fairly common apps.

> The only people that I see winning here are the computer
> repair shops. Sorry Brett, BIMHO Microsoft have been far too hasty in
> releasing this service update to the masses.

In the ~30 machines that I have applied this SP to, I have had only one
fail, and that was Norton's fault... well, mine, I should have checked
it first.

--
Dave Hall
http://www.dave.net.nz

GraB

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 09:13:06 +1200, Graeme Woollett
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I very unwisely installed SP2 last night on my KT333 XP home based
>system, now my machine automatically reboots itself each time at the
>windows splash screen.
>The most secure version of windows I've seen yet!
>Is anyone else having this particular problem and if so how do you fix
>it, apart from starting again from scratch?
>How could even Microsoft f--k things up this badly?
>I'd least I can boot Linux and get my files off the toasted windows
>partition...
>
>Thanks
>Graeme

Sounds like a broken fix for a broken OS.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

GraB wrote:
> Sounds like a broken fix for a broken OS.

It worked fine for ~30 PCs that I have used.
sped up a few, slowed a few(a tad), and didn't make **** all difference
to the others.

--
Dave Hall
http://www.dave.net.nz

John

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 09:13:06 +1200, Graeme Woollett
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

boot into secure mode and check out the event log
Use system restore to roll back...

Gavin Tunney

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I very unwisely installed SP2 last night on my KT333 XP home based
>system, now my machine automatically reboots itself each time at the
>windows splash screen.
>The most secure version of windows I've seen yet!
>Is anyone else having this particular problem and if so how do you fix
>it, apart from starting again from scratch?
>How could even Microsoft f--k things up this badly?
>I'd least I can boot Linux and get my files off the toasted windows
>partition...

This is a pretty common fault Graeme, and due to the inadequate
recovery console tools there's bugger-all chance of actually
identifying what the cause is. I assume it's doing the same in safe
mode?

If you want to try some troubleshooting you can enable bootlogging in
the boot.ini file and see if the boot log tells you anything useful.
That would likely be an exercise in frustration as the console tools
are just pathetic, don't even have a decent text editor. Can find info
on how to do all that with a web search on 'windows xp bootlog'. You
can view text files page by page by using the MORE option, ie;

TYPE \windows\systemroot\Ntbtlog.txt|MORE

This site has some useful tips on troubleshooting some XP problems;

http://aumha.org/win5/kbstrtup.php

Alternatively the quickest fix for the average user is usually to
reinstall using the repair option, which retains all system settings
and, in my own experience at least, is a reliable fix.

Cheers

Gavin

Patrick Bold

"Graeme Woollett" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cgljp4$26fe$(E-Mail Removed)...

> How could even Microsoft f--k things up this badly?

Generally speaking, it's a cooperative effort between Microsoft and the
end user

What hardware do you have installed on this system of yours? Do you have
the latest drivers? By design, XP-SP2 is more demanding in terms of
compatibility, so if you have anything installed that's doubtful, that
could be the source of your trouble. When in doubt, XP will try to swap
in a generic driver it "thinks" will work, but it's bound to fail on
some untested combinations.