Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Orcon's new news server

Orcon's new news server

steve

Looks like Orcon have moved to the new news server, but the new one requires
users to authenticate.

I called the Help Desk and they suggested it was a problem with the server
IP address.....which may be a keyhole view of the situation.

Looks like the authentication issue either wasn't understood - or the
implementation was flawed (perhaps newsfeed.com didn't implement the
correct ip range filters that would allow Orcon customers to connect).

Instructions were to "Call back tomorrow".

So make sure you all call back.

Collector_NZ

steve said the following on 27/08/2004 08:55:

> Looks like Orcon have moved to the new news server, but the new one requires
> users to authenticate.
>
> I called the Help Desk and they suggested it was a problem with the server
> IP address.....which may be a keyhole view of the situation.
>
> Looks like the authentication issue either wasn't understood - or the
> implementation was flawed (perhaps newsfeed.com didn't implement the
> correct ip range filters that would allow Orcon customers to connect).
>
> Instructions were to "Call back tomorrow".
>
> So make sure you all call back.
>
> 09-444-4414

Okay it worked fine for me, but I deleted my old news account and setup
a new one, all I did was add my user name in the account setup
(Thunderbird) and it worked fine.

113k groups, a lot of the dead no official groups like nz.forsale and a
lot of miss spelled groups like nz.tarinaki.regional.general.

propergation not as fast as my backup service but it works.

Chris

steve wrote:

> Looks like Orcon have moved to the new news server, but the new one requires
> users to authenticate.
>
> I called the Help Desk and they suggested it was a problem with the server
> IP address.....which may be a keyhole view of the situation.
>
> Looks like the authentication issue either wasn't understood - or the
> implementation was flawed (perhaps newsfeed.com didn't implement the
> correct ip range filters that would allow Orcon customers to connect).
>
> Instructions were to "Call back tomorrow".
>
> So make sure you all call back.
>
> 09-444-4414

I got it to work OK on dial up using Thunderbird, though wouldn't work
using Xnews

Brendan

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 08:55:49 +1200, steve wrote:

> Looks like Orcon have moved to the new news server, but the new one requires
> users to authenticate.

Doesn't work for me even after I put my login and pw. I can only post now
via the individual.net server.

Hurry up and fix the problem Orcon. Geeze....

Oh, and I am not too happy with the advert stuck on the bottom of the
messages through the new server either (when people can get it to work at
all). I resent being a vehicle for adverts.

--

.... Brendan

"There is nothing permanent except change." -- Heraclitus

Note: All my comments are copyright 27/08/2004 3:51:48 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

Chris

Chris wrote:
> steve wrote:
>
>> Looks like Orcon have moved to the new news server, but the new one
>> requires
>> users to authenticate.
>> I called the Help Desk and they suggested it was a problem with the
>> server
>> IP address.....which may be a keyhole view of the situation.
>> Looks like the authentication issue either wasn't understood - or the
>> implementation was flawed (perhaps newsfeed.com didn't implement the
>> correct ip range filters that would allow Orcon customers to connect).
>>
>> Instructions were to "Call back tomorrow".
>> So make sure you all call back.
>> 09-444-4414
>>

> I got it to work OK on dial up using Thunderbird, though wouldn't work
> using Xnews

Oh, I know, I think I need to refresh the group list maybe, hummm not on
dial up thanks lol

--
__
OK, whats below this text is not added by me, it's added by

Sue Bilstein

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 15:55:15 +1200, Brendan <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
>On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 08:55:49 +1200, steve wrote:
>
>> Looks like Orcon have moved to the new news server, but the new one requires
>> users to authenticate.

>Doesn't work for me even after I put my login and pw. I can only post now
>via the individual.net server.
>
>Hurry up and fix the problem Orcon. Geeze....
>
>Oh, and I am not too happy with the advert stuck on the bottom of the
>messages through the new server either (when people can get it to work at
>all). I resent being a vehicle for adverts.

I recommend a reel cheep ISP + a pay news server, e.g. slingshot +
supernews.

Brendan

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 21:23:42 +1200, Sue Bilstein wrote:

> I recommend a reel cheep ISP + a pay news server, e.g. slingshot +
> supernews.

Thanks, but I can use a free news server - I would prefer orcon to get
their act together though.

--

.... Brendan

"You are nothing but a wayward puddle of fawning buzzard gizzards" - bobot
in IRC

Note: All my comments are copyright 27/08/2004 10:29:42 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

Sue Bilstein

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 22:45:14 +1200, Brendan <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 21:23:42 +1200, Sue Bilstein wrote:
>
>> I recommend a reel cheep ISP + a pay news server, e.g. slingshot +
>> supernews.

>Thanks, but I can use a free news server - I would prefer orcon to get
>their act together though.

Free - which one? Is it worth more than you pay for it, I wonder?

Brendan

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 23:25:56 +1200, Sue Bilstein wrote:

>>Thanks, but I can use a free news server - I would prefer orcon to get
>>their act together though.

> Free - which one? Is it worth more than you pay for it, I wonder?

Replied via email.

--

.... Brendan

Thousands of years ago, cats were worshipped as Gods. Cats have never forgotten this.

Note: All my comments are copyright 28/08/2004 1:43:49 a.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Sue Bilstein wrote:
> Free - which one? Is it worth more than you pay for it, I wonder?

I use news.individual.net and it is well worth what I pay for it(nothing).
It seems a lot more reliable than what I have read here about Xtras.
Ihugs and Orcons.