Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > UBS back on track

UBS back on track

EMB

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydispl...toryID=3587109

Well, sort of anyway. How the hell Telecom can even think that a high
speed (1 or 2 Gbit) asymmetrical service with only 128Kb upstream is
acceptable to the market is beyond me. I guess it all comes back to
wanting to keep the "full rate" ripoff plans generating money.

--
EMB
change two to number to reply

Dave - Dave.net.nz

EMB wrote:
> http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydispl...toryID=3587109
> Well, sort of anyway. How the hell Telecom can even think that a high
> speed (1 or 2 Mbit*) asymmetrical service with only 128Kb upstream is
> acceptable to the market is beyond me.

I'd be more than happy with it.
I don't upload **** all, so 128k should be more than enough to send ack
packets for my downloads.

*Corrected Gbit to Mbit.

--
Dave Hall
http://www.dave.net.nz

EMB

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

> EMB wrote:
>
>> http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydispl...toryID=3587109
>> Well, sort of anyway. How the hell Telecom can even think that a high
>> speed (1 or 2 Mbit*) asymmetrical service with only 128Kb upstream is
>> acceptable to the market is beyond me.

> I'd be more than happy with it.
> I don't upload **** all, so 128k should be more than enough to send ack
> packets for my downloads.

Makes running a webserver a bit hard though.

> *Corrected Gbit to Mbit.

Thanks Dave - brain is a bit slow after doing a night shift.

--
EMB
change two to number to reply

Tim

March? May? They don't say which year! So are they waiting for the
technology to become obsolete just as they did for ISDN before sensible
pricing came along...

Woosh looks better everyday.

- Tim

"EMB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cgj5rk$ap2$(E-Mail Removed)...
> http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydispl...toryID=3587109
>
> Well, sort of anyway. How the hell Telecom can even think that a high
> speed (1 or 2 Gbit) asymmetrical service with only 128Kb upstream is
> acceptable to the market is beyond me. I guess it all comes back to
> wanting to keep the "full rate" ripoff plans generating money.
>

> --
> EMB
> change two to number to reply

Chris

EMB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:cgj5rk$ap2$(E-Mail Removed):

> http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydispl...toryID=3587109
>
> Well, sort of anyway. How the hell Telecom can even think that a high
> speed (1 or 2 Gbit) asymmetrical service with only 128Kb upstream is
> acceptable to the market is beyond me. I guess it all comes back to
> wanting to keep the "full rate" ripoff plans generating money.

Thats kind of like what my friend in the USA has from what I can tell -
upload tested at 167kbps 1.25 mbps down.

I can only guess it's to make it harder for people to operate servers or do
VoIP etc etc

TomV

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 23:51:52 GMT, Chris <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Thats kind of like what my friend in the USA has from what I can tell -
>upload tested at 167kbps 1.25 mbps down.
>
>I can only guess it's to make it harder for people to operate servers or do
>VoIP etc etc

It also limits peering on some of the more recent implimentations like
overnet. with a 128 upload, you'd be limited to download bandwidth of
around 512.

....tom

Dave - Dave.net.nz

EMB wrote:
>>> http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydispl...toryID=3587109
>>> Well, sort of anyway. How the hell Telecom can even think that a
>>> high speed (1 or 2 Mbit*) asymmetrical service with only 128Kb
>>> upstream is acceptable to the market is beyond me.

>> I'd be more than happy with it.
>> I don't upload **** all, so 128k should be more than enough to send
>> ack packets for my downloads.

> Makes running a webserver a bit hard though.

I believe that that would be their point.

--
Dave Hall
http://www.dave.net.nz

JedMeister

5 years ago many were saying 56kbps dial up is enough too - so why did we
ever bother going to higher speed connections?

I think 'enough' would be around 500Megabytes per second download, allowing
a Dual layer DVD movie to be downloaded in around 20 seconds. Way beyond the
attention span of many people but I could cope.

Perhaps 100Megabyte per second upload would be OK for me to send large
files.

"Dave - Dave.net.nz" <dave@no_spam_here_dave.net.nz> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> EMB wrote:
> > http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydispl...toryID=3587109
> > Well, sort of anyway. How the hell Telecom can even think that a high
> > speed (1 or 2 Mbit*) asymmetrical service with only 128Kb upstream is
> > acceptable to the market is beyond me.

> I'd be more than happy with it.
> I don't upload **** all, so 128k should be more than enough to send ack
> packets for my downloads.
>

> *Corrected Gbit to Mbit.
>
> --
> Dave Hall
> http://www.dave.net.nz

theseus

"EMB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cgj5rk$ap2$(E-Mail Removed)...
> http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydispl...toryID=3587109
>
> Well, sort of anyway. How the hell Telecom can even think that a high
> speed (1 or 2 Gbit) asymmetrical service with only 128Kb upstream is
> acceptable to the market is beyond me. I guess it all comes back to
> wanting to keep the "full rate" ripoff plans generating money.

Thats the way all Asymetrical DSL is isn't it ?
Its built to be a domestic service

JedMeister

You will find DSL is used for business too.

news:OnaXc.359$(E-Mail Removed)...

insert track reference in mp3 track D@Z Computer Support 1 05-02-2008 03:32 PM
Old certification track vs new certification track. Barkley Hughes MCAD 5 11-12-2006 02:41 PM
Skype services back on track - Jordan Knowing About VOIP 0 10-13-2006 07:42 AM
Woohooo <sarcasm> Orcon UBS is back on-line!!! ~misfit~ NZ Computing 20 08-30-2005 08:11 AM
anyone can explain to me about UBS and non-UBS? AT NZ Computing 9 12-15-2004 01:46 AM

Advertisments