Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > School internet facilities

School internet facilities

KiwiBrian

I am interested in what facilities/programs etc are available to small
schools that might wish to have an interactive facility for pupil
involvement.
Anyone with knowledge or pointers?

Brian Tozer

frederick

"KiwiBrian" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cggb5i$rlq$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am interested in what facilities/programs etc are available to small
> schools that might wish to have an interactive facility for pupil
> involvement.
> Anyone with knowledge or pointers?
>
> Brian Tozer

you could start by looking here:
http://www.minedu.govt.nz/index.cfm?...xparentid=1072

KiwiBrian

"frederick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> "KiwiBrian" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:cggb5i$rlq$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I am interested in what facilities/programs etc are available to small
> > schools that might wish to have an interactive facility for pupil
> > involvement.
> > Anyone with knowledge or pointers?
> >
> > Brian Tozer
> >

> you could start by looking here:

http://www.minedu.govt.nz/index.cfm?...xparentid=1072

Thankyou very much Frederick.
Exactly what I was looking for.
Also in hearing from anyone with familiarity with the subject as far as
small schools are concerned.
Brian Tozer

frederick

"KiwiBrian" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cgh0p0$a74$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "frederick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >
> > "KiwiBrian" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:cggb5i$rlq$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > I am interested in what facilities/programs etc are available to small
> > > schools that might wish to have an interactive facility for pupil
> > > involvement.
> > > Anyone with knowledge or pointers?
> > >
> > > Brian Tozer
> > >

> > you could start by looking here:

http://www.minedu.govt.nz/index.cfm?...xparentid=1072

> Thankyou very much Frederick.
> Exactly what I was looking for.
> Also in hearing from anyone with familiarity with the subject as far as
> small schools are concerned.
> Brian Tozer

Sorry - I'm not familiar with small schools. I am familiar with teachers
though. One observation of mine is that (with exceptions), the ability to
"teach" (impart knowledge in an effective way) and the ability to "understand
computers" are mutually exclusive. Perhaps that explains problems such as low
IT literacy in teachers, and the universal hatred of IT Help Desk staff. Many
involved in education, including at tertiary level, seem to suffer the
misunderstanding that IT should be used as a resource, not a method - except
perhaps for the few that want to have a career in the industry.

Bob McLellan

For firewall security get a secondhand PIII machine and run Smoothwall.

KiwiBrian wrote:
> I am interested in what facilities/programs etc are available to small
> schools that might wish to have an interactive facility for pupil
> involvement.
> Anyone with knowledge or pointers?
>
> Brian Tozer

Patrick Dunford

In article <cgh0p0$a74$(E-Mail Removed)> in nz.comp on Wed, 25 Aug 2004
15:24:22 +1200, KiwiBrian <(E-Mail Removed)> says...

> "frederick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >
> > "KiwiBrian" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:cggb5i$rlq$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > I am interested in what facilities/programs etc are available to small
> > > schools that might wish to have an interactive facility for pupil
> > > involvement.
> > > Anyone with knowledge or pointers?
> > >
> > > Brian Tozer
> > >

> > you could start by looking here:
> >

> http://www.minedu.govt.nz/index.cfm?...xparentid=1072
>
> Thankyou very much Frederick.
> Exactly what I was looking for.
> Also in hearing from anyone with familiarity with the subject as far as
> small schools are concerned.

This outfit does a complete Linux server package for schools, including
filtered internet access

http://www.smartcom.co.nz/