Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > orcon news??

orcon news??

-{-astrae-}-

had no new headers since the 20th. anyone else had this problem.

suppose the users that do have the same prob cant read this!

wogers nemesis

says...
> had no new headers since the 20th. anyone else had this problem.
>
> suppose the users that do have the same prob cant read this!

I've just had problems with it responding as fast as two telcos.

Collector_NZ

-{-astrae-}- said the following on 24/08/2004 19:42:

> had no new headers since the 20th. anyone else had this problem.
>
> suppose the users that do have the same prob cant read this!

I am reading it from Orcon

--
Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being
governed by those who are dumber.

steve

-{-astrae-}- wrote:

> had no new headers since the 20th. anyone else had this problem.
>
> suppose the users that do have the same prob cant read this!

Orcon's news server sucks rotten bananas and has done for some time. They
have repeatedly promised to fix it - and never have.

I now use news.individual.net (based in Germany at a Uni) and it works
perfectly: fast, good feed, no missed posts and free.

You do need to register with them and it takes about a 10 days to get the
approval......and after that, you just enjoy a good service.

Collector_NZ

steve said the following on 24/08/2004 23:48:

> -{-astrae-}- wrote:
>

>>had no new headers since the 20th. anyone else had this problem.
>>
>>suppose the users that do have the same prob cant read this!

> Orcon's news server sucks rotten bananas and has done for some time. They
> have repeatedly promised to fix it - and never have.
>
> I now use news.individual.net (based in Germany at a Uni) and it works
> perfectly: fast, good feed, no missed posts and free.
>
> You do need to register with them and it takes about a 10 days to get the
> approval......and after that, you just enjoy a good service.

Dont shout it too loud, otherwise the service might degrade and we will
all be back to using Orcon NNTP which while not bad is far from good.

steve

Collector_NZ wrote:

> Dont shout it too loud, otherwise the service might degrade and we will
> all be back to using Orcon NNTP which while not bad is far from good.

I find the Orcon news server take up to a minute to begin to send me the
article list....and can often take up to a minute to send one article for
reading.

It's the worst news server I've ever used - going back to 1990.

That makes for very slow newsreading.

The best news was on OS/2 using Yarn and Souper.....a text-based pair of
apps that downloaded all news and let you do everything locally....and then
batch upload the completed replies.

I'd like a text-based Linux newsreader that downloaded the news I
wanted....and allowed me to cut/paste in/out of the terminal window.

I'm sure there are several. Time to start looking.

Brendan

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 00:02:18 +1200, Collector_NZ wrote:

>> I now use news.individual.net (based in Germany at a Uni) and it works
>> perfectly: fast, good feed, no missed posts and free.
>>
>> You do need to register with them and it takes about a 10 days to get the
>> approval......and after that, you just enjoy a good service.
>>

> Dont shout it too loud, otherwise the service might degrade and we will
> all be back to using Orcon NNTP which while not bad is far from good.

I use both Orcon and Individual.net's servers and have set up dialog to
download the messages from both and combine them.

Individual.net is always faster and always has more messages, despite being
on the other side of the world.

--

.... Brendan

The woods would be very silent if only the birds with the sweetest songs were heard.

Note: All my comments are copyright 25/08/2004 12:58:37 a.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

theseus

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Collector_NZ wrote:
>
>> Dont shout it too loud, otherwise the service might degrade and we will
>> all be back to using Orcon NNTP which while not bad is far from good.

> I find the Orcon news server take up to a minute to begin to send me the
> article list....and can often take up to a minute to send one article for
> reading.
>
> It's the worst news server I've ever used - going back to 1990.
>
> That makes for very slow newsreading.
>
> The best news was on OS/2 using Yarn and Souper.....a text-based pair of
> apps that downloaded all news and let you do everything locally....and
> then
> batch upload the completed replies.
>
> I'd like a text-based Linux newsreader that downloaded the news I
> wanted....and allowed me to cut/paste in/out of the terminal window.
>
> I'm sure there are several. Time to start looking.

have a look at leafnode and slrn

Seeby Woodhouse - Orcon Internet

Hi there everyone

We are hopefully upgrading our news server tomorrow morning.
Instead of combining various NZ newsfeeds, we have outsourced to a US
provider as it works our cheaper, with less hastle for us, and
hopefully the serivce will be much better

Cheers
Seeby

MD Orcon Internet

theseus wrote:

>> I'd like a text-based Linux newsreader that downloaded the news I
>> wanted....and allowed me to cut/paste in/out of the terminal window.
>>
>> I'm sure there are several. Time to start looking.

> have a look at leafnode and slrn

Ta. I will.

Orcon Classic Car Fair NZ Computing 21 11-15-2003 02:42 PM
Orcon to iServe mail issue madknoxie NZ Computing 5 09-05-2003 04:44 AM

Advertisments